IGNORED

Why is America so fat?

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 2426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

FWIW, there is conflicting evidence on whether display of caloric information is actually helpful in reducing intake.  It might actually not do much at all (there is even some evidence that it increases intake).

Interestingly, it may actually affect the menus themselves more than the consumers:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/11/02/effects-of-labeling-calories-on-menus/75046400/

Call me paranoid, imho, in pocket of food lobby. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clearly the influx in information on food products have not decreased the amount of food people eat. Obesity is going up. I don't think people get past the front label on the product. I think calorie information is good on single use items. On a bottle of ketchup, it's not important. Calorie per serving size doesn't help when people don't even understand service size.

There is a lot we are still finding out about weight loss.

I will contend the best way is to eat more lean protein and veggies. Look how easy it is to go to Wendy's and grab a double with fries and a coke and eat 1500 calories. Which for many is 60-70% their calorie intake for the day. Then they sneak in a candy bar later, knock off another 10%. 1 candy bar is near 10% the required calorie intake. You can eat a 1lb steak and a baked potato and have less calories than that meal at Wendy's. You'll end up not wanting to eat for the next day.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

10 hours ago, Piz said:

That's it.  I'm going back on the belly-lint and bark diet.  I'll save the grubs for holidays...or when I have people over.

Grubs pair well with a nice sauvignon blanc.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Ironically, generally, readily available cheap processed food makes you fat, harder to find fresh healthy food is more expensive.

Food shoved in your face in corporate America.

Culture of eating. Sedentary culture.

Portions out of control.

Soda.

Fat. Sugar. Salt.

Food marketing a high science.

So much more.

A friend says to me all the time and this is politically incorrect, you don't see fat people in a labor/pow camp.

12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Is it? The health care costs of obesity, diabetes, etc... 

It creates dependence on government and breeding of ignorant people.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

13 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Portions out of control.

I rarely hit fastfood anymore but I recently went through a Wendy's drive-thru and asked for "medium."  I still can't get over how big that freakin' cup was.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Being a Brit, i cant comment on the waist size of the people of America, however we do have the same issue over here. For me its the whole culture of convinience, many people are like "I want food and i want it now now now". Supermarkets are full of ready meals full of saturated fats and high salt contents.

Microwave burgers for crying out loud!! (they are tasty though after a few pints ;-)).

They are trying to bring in laws to lmit the amount of fats, salt and sugars in processed foods and its a good idea in principle. Problem is its often the fat and salt that gives it the taste. Look at "low fat" healthy options. Yes, they have less fat but the sugar contemt goes up to compensate for the flavour loss.

As with averything edible though. If its consumed in moderation as part of healthy lifestyle then its not that bad.

Supermarkets do need to takes some responsibility though with all the 2 for 1 deals they always seem to have on the ready meal aisle.

Other than the planned "Fat Tax" with proceeds going the healthcare i cant see musch of a solution. All i know is aftter reading this topic i really fancy a dirty burger :-D

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Not just a problem in the U.S. - you should see the average Brit. The same is pretty much happening in most 'Western' cultures, and a number of others too.

Food aplenty and, compared to even a few decades ago, ridiculously cheap. We've also evolved in a low calorie environment where we might not know when the next good meal is coming, which we've now escaped - we want to eat. The spread of 'fast food' outlets. The general decline in people actually knowing how to cook from scratch and/or wanting to/finding time to do so.

Don't know about the U.S., but in the U.K., the easily available alcohol (beer and wine) from supermarkets for people to drink at home is an issue.

Not enough (any!?) exercise in most people's lives.

It's a simple equation: more calories in than out -> weight increase.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

2 minutes ago, misty_mountainhop said:

Not just a problem in the U.S. - you should see the average Brit. The same is pretty much happening in most 'Western' cultures, and a number of others too.

Food aplenty and, compared to even a few decades ago, ridiculously cheap. We've also evolved in a low calorie environment where we might not know when the next good meal is coming, which we've now escaped - we want to eat. The spread of 'fast food' outlets. The general decline in people actually knowing how to cook from scratch and/or wanting to/finding time to do so.

Don't know about the U.S., but in the U.K., the easily available alcohol (beer and wine) from supermarkets for people to drink at home is an issue.

Not enough (any!?) exercise in most people's lives.

It's a simple equation: more calories in than out -> weight increase.

Yep, cheap booze at supermarkets doesnt help. When you can get a box of 24 bottles of Bud for a tenner!

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Just now, RussUK said:

Yep, cheap booze at supermarkets doesnt help. When you can get a box of 24 bottles of Bud for a tenner!

Yes, but - what's the similarity between Bud a sex in a canoe? They're both f***ing close to water. Actually, I quite like bottled Bud on occasion. They should print the calorie content on alcoholic drinks...

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

2 minutes ago, misty_mountainhop said:

Yes, but - what's the similarity between Bud a sex in a canoe? They're both f***ing close to water. Actually, I quite like bottled Bud on occasion. They should print the calorie content on alcoholic drinks...

Couldnt agree more. If they posted the calorie contents on fruit Cider id probably faint!

I do have to say though that Aldi do a rip off of Desperado's called.....wait for it.....Sombrero. Actually its really good. Goes really well with the Microwave burger i mentioned in an earlier post :-P

4 minutes ago, misty_mountainhop said:

Bud has about 145 calories for a 12 oz can. Water doesnt ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Just now, saevel25 said:

Yeah, but water doesnt taste as good ;-)

Just now, saevel25 said:

Very true. I think the author of that gag didn't think much of Bud's flavour.

3 cans of Bud and you're almost at 1/4 of your daily intake. Exercise is the thing and 'we' do very little these days; even walking is off the menu in places. Escalators instead of stairs - even for a single floor where I am! Etc etc...

13 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Ironically, generally, readily available cheap processed food makes you fat, harder to find fresh healthy food is more expensive.

Food shoved in your face in corporate America.

Culture of eating. Sedentary culture.

Portions out of control.

Soda.

Fat. Sugar. Salt.

Food marketing a high science.

So much more.

A friend says to me all the time and this is politically incorrect, you don't see fat people in a labor/pow camp.

Tru dat. Emphasis on portion control and eating culture. One of the greasiest things I've ever eaten was an English breakfast and i dont see as nearly as many obese in the UK as in the states. 

8 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Yeah, but water doesnt taste as good ;-)

That is arguable :-$

3 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

One of the greasiest things I've ever eaten was an English breakfast and i dont see as nearly as many obese in the UK as in the states. 

I do think a big issue is lack of activity for children and teens. Child obesity in the US is a huge problem. The UK is only about 7% behind the US. Of course our population is about 5x that of the UK.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I do think a big issue is lack of activity for children and teens. Child obesity in the US is a huge problem. The UK is only about 7% behind the US. Of course our population is about 5x that of the UK.

Agreed. Kids are more interested in electronics than they are being active outdoors. Too many parents go the easy button route of fast food dinners as well

6 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Tru. I take my little guy outside as much as i can. Im only in my mid 30's but even back then there seemed to be more community in neighborhoods. When i was 10-12 years old i was outside all day during summer and only came home for lunch and dinner.  Now that I'm an adult i realized that everyone was sort of watching everyone else's kids. That doesn't happen anymore. 

12 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

But who is bearing those costs? The obese or diabetic? No, it's all of us.

It doesn't matter if comfort food actually makes you feel better, only if you THINK it does! You have some good points. But I think processed carbs and a lot of misinformation, sometimes delivered by people who think they are doing good, is a big part of it.

I read an article a few years back about shopping the "perimeter of the store". Consider what you get there. First, produce! Fruits and veggies. Better if homegrown, of course, but we in the North can't be too picky. Next, dairy. Eggs, milk, butter. Believe it or not, all healthy! Next, meat. Pure protein! Nothing wrong with it in moderation. Finally, frozen. Flash frozen veggies are as tasty and nutritious as fresh off the plant! Again, I prefer home grown, but I can't grow everything!

You missed alcohol! At my stores, I find the beer and wine section on the perimeter. Can't pass that beer belly up!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 2426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!