IGNORED

Why is America so fat?

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 2400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Girth and wealth are not equivocal.  Obesity, sadly, is fairly inexpensive.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Piz said:

Yep.

All you need is to be lazy and dumb.  They often go together. ;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Ironically, generally, readily available cheap processed food makes you fat, harder to find fresh healthy food is more expensive.

Food shoved in your face in corporate America.

Culture of eating. Sedentary culture.

Portions out of control.

Soda.

Fat. Sugar. Salt.

Food marketing a high science.

So much more.

A friend says to me all the time and this is politically incorrect, you don't see fat people in a labor/pow camp.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

29 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

I keep hearing about this poverty epidemic, but I don't see it. Go to any place in America, and over 50 percent of people have a huge gut. 

What a stupid comment.

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Ironically, generally, readily available cheap processed food makes you fat, harder to find fresh healthy food is more expensive.

Food shoved in your face in corporate America.

Culture of eating. Sedentary culture.

Portions out of control.

Soda.

Fat. Sugar. Salt.

Food marketing a high science.

While all of the above is true, ultimately we have only ourselves to blame.

Jon

25 minutes ago, Piz said:

Is it? The health care costs of obesity, diabetes, etc... 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

No doubt about that.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Same reason a shockingly high percentage of Americans are on anti-depressants: anxiety.

I believe most idle snacking and comfort food is a type of self-medication related to anxiety disorder. 

Just my .02, I am by no means a health care professional

1 minute ago, Kalnoky said:

Same reason a shockingly high percentage of Americans are on anti-depressants: anxiety.

I believe most idle snacking and comfort food is a type of self-medication related to anxiety disorder. 

Just my .02, I am by no means a health care professional

I disagree. I just learned recently that there is no correlation between eating comfort food and actually making a person feel better. I don't think most overweight people self medicate using food. 

My opinion is on the following, 

1. Foods are accessible 24/7
2. Foods are made to want you to eat more of them. They are pleasant to eat, but are not filling
3. Not many people actually cook at home anymore
4. The food industry has made bad foods much cheaper than fresh foods
5. People are not as active as they use to be. 
6. People have no clue how many calories they are actually eating. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

There is a book just coming out from Dr. Neal Barnard, that is stating that cheese is actually addictive.   Processed foods are convenient and less expensive than non-processed foods.  The portion size has ballooned with the super-size from the fast food places.   Add this to the busy life where the family usually doesn't sit down to dinner together and it's a recipe for poor eating choices.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

But who is bearing those costs? The obese or diabetic? No, it's all of us.

29 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I disagree. I just learned recently that there is no correlation between eating comfort food and actually making a person feel better. I don't think most overweight people self medicate using food. 

My opinion is on the following, 

1. Foods are accessible 24/7
2. Foods are made to want you to eat more of them. They are pleasant to eat, but are not filling
3. Not many people actually cook at home anymore
4. The food industry has made bad foods much cheaper than fresh foods
5. People are not as active as they use to be. 

It doesn't matter if comfort food actually makes you feel better, only if you THINK it does! You have some good points. But I think processed carbs and a lot of misinformation, sometimes delivered by people who think they are doing good, is a big part of it.

I read an article a few years back about shopping the "perimeter of the store". Consider what you get there. First, produce! Fruits and veggies. Better if homegrown, of course, but we in the North can't be too picky. Next, dairy. Eggs, milk, butter. Believe it or not, all healthy! Next, meat. Pure protein! Nothing wrong with it in moderation. Finally, frozen. Flash frozen veggies are as tasty and nutritious as fresh off the plant! Again, I prefer home grown, but I can't grow everything!

And stay away from the middle of the store. That's where the processed carbs live! I'm down to 170 from 190 from just a few adjustments. I used to be the guy who had a 2 liter of Coke in his fridge, and fell asleep with his hand in the potato chip bag! And I look at labels now to see if there is High Fructose Corn Syrup in it!

And I don't deprive myself! I eat hearty! I love good food and eating it! You just have to figure your way.

52 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

And we have elements in government and industry trying to restrict caloric information from being displayed. 

Look at a photo from the 40s and 50s before the food industry super refined its silver tongued deceiving ways. 

23 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

There is a book just coming out from Dr. Neal Barnard, that is stating that cheese is actually addictive.   Processed foods are convenient and less expensive than non-processed foods.  The portion size has ballooned with the super-size from the fast food places.   Add this to the busy life where the family usually doesn't sit down to dinner together and it's a recipe for poor eating choices.

Michael Pollan has been preaching this since 2008? EAT REAL FOOD.

Steve

That's it.  I'm going back on the belly-lint and bark diet.  I'll save the grubs for holidays...or when I have people over.

In der bag:

38 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

And we have elements in government and industry trying to restrict caloric information from being displayed. 

FWIW, there is conflicting evidence on whether display of caloric information is actually helpful in reducing intake.  It might actually not do much at all (there is even some evidence that it increases intake).

Interestingly, it may actually affect the menus themselves more than the consumers:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/11/02/effects-of-labeling-calories-on-menus/75046400/

Edited by Hardspoon

- John

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

The portion size has ballooned with the super-size from the fast food places.

Edited by iacas
please embed videos

Frankie

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

What a stupid comment.

Yay!

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Note: This thread is 2400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!