Sign in to follow this  
bkuehn1952

Mickelson a Captain's Pick? President's Cup

Note: This thread is 897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

President's Cup - Pick Mickelson or Not  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pick Phil if you were in Captain Steve Stricker's shoes?

• Yes. He is a contemporary legend and needs to be included, regardless of his recent play
    • No. He has not earned a spot based on current play
    • Something else

26 posts / 3032 viewsLast Reply

Frankly, the President's Cup barely moves the needle for me.  I saw a "headline" speculating on whether Steve Stricker will or should pick Phil.  Would you pick Phil considering his mediocre season?  Should Steve pick him for the intangibles he might bring?

Edited by bkuehn1952

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Intangibles are over-rated.  Or not.  They are, after all, intangible.  I'd pick someone farther up the ladder.

No!

USA will win anyway. Give someone else the oportunity to get some experience in matchplay and representing your country. Could be a good thing for next Rydercup.

To answer my own question, I would ask Phil if he wants to play.  If he indicated a reasonably high level of interest, I would include him.  If he is not invested in being on the team, I pick someone else.

I have heard he is a positive influence in team situations, but that may just be smoke being blown.

I wouldn't pick Phil. He hasn't played well this year, and a lot of it seems to be that he doesn't have the endurance to play 4 good round in 4 days right now. While you can manage that at the President's Cup, it's still a lot of golf, and Phil will want to play. Plus, you can give a younger player a chance at international competition. You don't need Phil at the President's Cup.

He definitely doesn't deserve a spot based on his play over the last several months.

I wouldn't be shocked if Stricker picked him out of respect/locker room aspect, etc., but without any form to go on, it's looking more likely than not that he gives the spot to a more deserving young guy.

If Phil wants to play, he'll be on the team.  If he ends up an asst captain, it'll be because it was his choice.  Or, he may even want to spend that time w family which he hasn't done in 20+ years.  He is the most influential player today, in terms of the PGA.  He's driving the bus.

Ummm, errr, no! Stricker is driving the bus and Mickelson may be looking to get on! Or maybe not. No doubt Mickelson has played in tons of these and has experience, but you have to wonder how many points he can score for you!

No.  I don't think he's earned it and I think that the President's Cup is a great way to get some of the younger guys some experience for the Ryder Cup.  I know it sucks to look at it that way...

I wouldn't put Phil on the team because his putting is in poor shape.  I watch enough golf on the tele to know that there are better choices available.

On 8/25/2017 at 7:58 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Ummm, errr, no! Stricker is driving the bus and Mickelson may be looking to get on! Or maybe not. No doubt Mickelson has played in tons of these and has experience, but you have to wonder how many points he can score for you!

Strick said in an interview yesterday that it's Phil's choice.  Thankfully he's having a good week so I'm sure he'll opt to play.

The way Phil's playing this week, Stricker would have more explaining to do if he didn't pick Phil, than if he picks him.

I expect we'll be seeing Phil as part of the team.

7 hours ago, David in FL said:

The way Phil's playing this week, Stricker would have more explaining to do if he didn't pick Phil, than if he picks him.

I expect we'll be seeing Phil as part of the team.

The point is, Strick has no bearing on the decision.  If Phil wants to play, he'll play, otherwise, he won't.

8 hours ago, Gunther said:

The point is, Strick has no bearing on the decision.  If Phil wants to play, he'll play, otherwise, he won't.

It's a Captain's pick. Stricker is the Captain. He has plenty of bearing on the decision. 

I wouldn't pick Phil, although I'm a fan of his. He played better this week, but has be really inconsistent this year. Younger players also need to get experience.

Note: This thread is 897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!