IGNORED

Rent/Buy a course

Note: This thread is 2357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I've approached someone who has a course that they don't really want. The turnover is poor, and it needs a lot of investment. That said, greens aside, the course is lovely - mature parkland and of good length. The clubhouse is huge, big enough to fun as a small hotel perhaps.

My question to The Sand Trap: Would you consider changing where you play if a local course had a makeover and relaunched itself?

Dan Vesma

M2 10.5, Old Bendy Fazer 3W, Mizuno MP-59 Irons, Cheapy Wedges & Monza Rossa Putter
Back playing after 6 years, no hcp yet, just lots of shouting

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, Dan Vesma said:

My question to The Sand Trap: Would you consider changing where you play if a local course had a makeover and relaunched itself?

I don't think you'll find many people who wouldn't say "yes" to that.

The only group of people who might not are those who are fairly deeply entrenched in a club membership. Maybe it's expensive, maybe it's a family legacy type thing… that sort of thing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

loyalty is a tricky thing - my instinct was that we tend to play where we play at least in part because we like the people that run the club and that we play with in comps etc, so wouldn't be so fungible in our choices

Dan Vesma

M2 10.5, Old Bendy Fazer 3W, Mizuno MP-59 Irons, Cheapy Wedges & Monza Rossa Putter

1 hour ago, Dan Vesma said:

loyalty is a tricky thing - my instinct was that we tend to play where we play at least in part because we like the people that run the club and that we play with in comps etc, so wouldn't be so fungible in our choices

If you belong to a club, maybe. Even then, I know plenty of people who have changed clubs for one reason or another.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I agree with @iacas I think most serious golfers would want to check it out.  I don't know if I would change where I play all the time, but I would for sure play a round or two to see what changes had been made.

After that I might or might not make a change.   If I liked it I might make it part of my rotation of courses I play.  Even though I live on a course and am a member, fortunately the fees are such that I don't feel like I should only be playing that course because it is so expensive.  

Edited by scotth
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

7 hours ago, Dan Vesma said:

I would. Factors that make me decide to play a course or not are proximity, conditions, and cost. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

- Shane

15 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I would. Factors that make me decide to play a course or not are proximity, conditions, and cost. 

And being below where the snow flies!:-)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I always play a new, or reconditioned course when ever possible. In fact, lately I have been spending quite a bit of time on a reconditioned course that I use to play 2 or 3 times a week, before the rework was done. It plays completely different than before. 

I don't expect it replace my home course, since I am only 10 minutes from teeing off at my current home course. The reconditioned one is 45-60 minutes away. 

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

For me, cost is the number one factor with a bullet. Hence I play munis 95% of the time.

Obviously, other people have other priorities. Knowing the demographic you are trying pull is the key.

• Like 1

I think it completely (but not exclusively) depends on the demographic. 

A course being reconditioned here in this part of NC probably wouldn't get it's investment back. Lots of courses. Not a lot of money here in the Triad, and there's several good country clubs that are pretty reasonable.

If anybody ups the price even by a few bucks, people start playing elsewhere, unfortunately. 

My course did a good bit of reconditioning these past 2 years and I was happy to pay a little up-tick in price. But a lot of people didn't want to. Whatever, it was less crowded for me this year, then! 

• Like 1

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

On 8/26/2017 at 6:15 AM, Dan Vesma said:

So, I've approached someone who has a course that they don't really want. The turnover is poor, and it needs a lot of investment. That said, greens aside, the course is lovely - mature parkland and of good length. The clubhouse is huge, big enough to fun as a small hotel perhaps.

We have many courses in Southern CA, much like in UK. So, I don't have any affinity to playing specific courses. The two I play a lot are very convenient (5 minutes from work or 5 minutes from my home), and I don't necessarily have any loyalty to them. Nor would I change if either of them decided to do a makeover because of that reason.

If I was a member of one of the Country Clubs in my area, then I might have some desire to keep it the same as when I joined. Then again, I like to try new things all the time, so it probably wouldn't be an issue for me?

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

We have many courses in Southern CA, much like in UK. So, I don't have any affinity to playing specific courses. The two I play a lot are very convenient (5 minutes from work or 5 minutes from my home), and I don't necessarily have any loyalty to them. Nor would I change if either of them decided to do a makeover because of that reason.

I'd not even factored convenience into my thinking Lihu, that is super helpful feedback

20 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

For me, cost is the number one factor with a bullet. Hence I play munis 95% of the time.

Obviously, other people have other priorities. Knowing the demographic you are trying pull is the key.

The place I'm thinking of is the cheapest place for miles. Its a faded gem of a course.

Dan Vesma

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, up-front funding:

* Can you get a good deal on the course, or is the owner the sentimental type that wont' sell easily?
* Can you get funding to refurbish the course? Would local government help out, given it would be public access?

As far as drawing golfers go, if you have a good product and treat them decently you can probably make a go. The trouble with many single-owner public courses in the US is that owners are harsh to the members and want to lord over them. This makes golfers want to go elsewhere.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On 8/28/2017 at 4:30 PM, Dan Vesma said:

I'd not even factored convenience into my thinking Lihu, that is super helpful feedback

The place I'm thinking of is the cheapest place for miles. Its a faded gem of a course.

There's a reason it's for sale...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

@Dan Vesma a good example would be Gotts Park in Leeds. In the last few years Leeds City Council decided to close two of its courses, Gotts Park being one, as they were running at an unsustainable loss.

The memebrs decided to buy the course and keep it open as a public course and in that they have done a great job, however, running a mature parkland course must be a struggle for them as when i last played earlier this year it wasnt a pleasant experience with almost bare bunkers, poorly marked holes and even no course information so you knew which green you were playing to on certain holes.

Yes, its was £10 for 18 so you get what you pay for and like @David in FL says there must be a reason, and in Gotts Parks case it was the fact the course had been run into the ground prior to the sale so it was always going to be an uphill struggle. I hope the new owners can turn it round.

There is an old saying "You cant polish a turd" (however Mythbusters prooved you can so i'll have to think of another saying :-P)

• Informative 2

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I am open to any course that I find interesting to play. My local muni is a fine course, always in good condition, an easy walk and architecturally interesting. The latter is more important to me than most golfers. IMO the worst part of your description is "mature parkland". To me that means too many trees. I'd need to find it more interesting than other courses in my area in order to switch. That's a tall task and likely quite expensive to accomplish.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2017 at 3:18 AM, David in FL said:

There's a reason it's for sale...

In this instance, the reason for the sale relates to another asset, not the course itself, but yes, I think thats generally good advice

Dan Vesma

Note: This thread is 2357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!