IGNORED

Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?

wedge player
Note: This thread is 1056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Lol! Yeah...I get the same reaction when I do that. But when the Neil Diamond comes out...it just gets ugly.

Yeah, Sweet Caroline is the only Neil song that works around here.

I honestly don't mind music if it's low, but generally I just like to listen to nature when I play.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/27/2019 at 11:40 AM, iacas said:

G-8:

For general play? No. For competitions? Yes - but they should implement the Local Rule.

BTW, the "assumption" I'm answering is basically what I'd assume if I were a player in a competition. I don't know how else you meant, since the Committee can't assume. They should simply implement it.

I just got finished writing up the rules sheet for our first tournament of the season and the first thing we did was put in this local rule prohibiting music on the course. It just doesn't have a place in tournament golf.

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I have seen this several times and it is always annoying. You can hear the music when you are on the tee and they pull up to their green.  Why they feel the need to share their country/rap/pop/rock music with everyone is beyond me.  I am okay if it part of some outing or fund raiser but other than that.   It seemed to become a thing last year.  

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

One week-ends when I play I usually have the PGA tour playing on the speaker. It's not loud, but I can hear it between shots etc. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

12 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I just got finished writing up the rules sheet for our first tournament of the season and the first thing we did was put in this local rule prohibiting music on the course. It just doesn't have a place in tournament golf.

I emailed the request to my Men's Club board of directors, and got confirmation that they will discuss it at their regular meeting tomorrow and consider putting it on our hard card.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 3/1/2019 at 9:53 AM, NM Golf said:

I got a copy of our hard card for 2019, and the LR prohibiting the use of audio and video devices during competitions has been included.  According to the email I got today, I was not the only one with such concerns. 👍

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 3/1/2019 at 6:52 AM, boogielicious said:

I usually sing as loud as I can after making a good shot or putt just to annoy my friends. My go to are show tunes or Barry Manilow songs. I usually dance too when I choose Copa Cabana. 

I also sing Another One Bites the Dust when they miss a putt.

They hate me. 

:-P

Dude, if you started singing Copa Cabana while playing in my foursome I'd definitely join in. We'd probably be asked to leave. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• 3 months later...

Lee Westwood's swing was interrupted by a fan's cell phone, it happened during his backswing. Cell Phones should be turned off on the golf course, but with fans taking pictures constantly at least they should be muted. I know people forget, my phone went off during a wedding ceremony, I couldn't shut it off fast enough.

It seems to be the thing to bring a mini speaker and play music while playing golf now. I don't have a problem when everyone in the group is ok with it, but sound travels, players have to show respect to others on the course.

What do you think?

Alpha V5 9.0 XStiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 13* Stiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 19* Hybrid Stiff
Cleveland CG Red Irons 4-PW Stiff
Merit Golf 52* StiffCleveland 900 series 56* & 60* RegScotty Cameron Laguna Mid-Slant"I hit 2 good balls today, I stepped on a rake."

• 1 year later...

I will start by saying I HATE the new trend of music being played on the course. This trend seems to have started about 2 years ago and seems to be accelerating. Players blaring all sorts of noise, music, while playing are inconsiderate of others IMO. I have had to ask playing partners to turn the music off especially when I am addressing the ball. Am I a curmudgeon or are there others with the same opinion?

• iacas changed the title to Music While Golfing
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, Groundhog34 said:

I will start by saying I HATE the new trend of music being played on the course. This trend seems to have started about 2 years ago and seems to be accelerating. Players blaring all sorts of noise, music, while playing are inconsiderate of others IMO. I have had to ask playing partners to turn the music off especially when I am addressing the ball. Am I a curmudgeon or are there others with the same opinion?

Merged your post into an 18-page topic we have on this.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not sure it is a new trend, this thread started comments in 2009.

sometimes I do have music but mostly I do not. It depends on who I am golfing with.  I use a blue tooth speaker but keep the volume low so I do not disturb others.  Usually I will only hear it when very near the cart, not 10 yards away.  I figure if the people on the other holes want music they can bring their own.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

To me, seems about 3-4 yrs. ago when BT speakers got hot. Really pissed me off at first, but have become accustomed to it, IF the volume is reasonable. Funny how I can tune out music and even partners talking when preparing to make a drive/shot/putt, but can't tune out a whisper. Drives me nuts...they must be talking about me...right?

I try and carry headphones with me all the time to counter this. And an epic whitenoise playlist.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I get annoyed when I can hear someone else's music far away. The other day, I heard (really awful) music coming from another fairway. Out of curiosity, I lasered how far away they were. It was 100 yards. I don't have a problem with others listening to music, but don't throw away all pretenses at etiquette to listen to music.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

13 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I get annoyed when I can hear someone else's music far away. The other day, I heard (really awful) music coming from another fairway. Out of curiosity, I lasered how far away they were. It was 100 yards. I don't have a problem with others listening to music, but don't throw away all pretenses at etiquette to listen to music.

That would have been a good time to drill a little stinger music at the guy.  Just kidding.  But next time, carry a small, compact air horn... and use it.  As he's hitting his shot.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

On 3/2/2019 at 8:33 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Dude, if you started singing Copa Cabana while playing in my foursome I'd definitely join in. We'd probably be asked to leave. 

Sounds like fun. What about Abba and Dancing Queen, LOL?

Note: This thread is 1056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!