IGNORED

Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?

On 11/27/2020 at 11:16 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

Yeah, not sure where that comes from. I prefer natural sounds and the quiet vacuum of my brain.

For some people it’s quite the opposite. They need the noise to quiet their brain.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got finished writing up the rules sheet for our first tournament of the season and the first thing we did was put in this local rule prohibiting music on the course. It just doesn't have a plac

Ugh. If only people who want to hear the music can hear the music, do what makes you happy. If someone who doesn't want to hear the music can, it's discourteous.

I listen to Swedish death metal, so out of consideration for others I don't play it on the course

Posted Images

I'm 67. I walk and push. I don't listen to music on the course. I get my hour of music daily at home. I don't need the added hassle. Most folks who I am paired with, who do play music, ask if I mind. I always answer no, I don't mind. It's always low. 

Crazy thing...9 out of 10 times...they stream the late 60's/early 70's hits of my youth. Often I get offered a hit. lol Growing up in my house, my 33 year old son introduced me to everything from Jack Johnson to Lamb of God. We both play music. There isn't much out there that will offend me.

I also don't want to be that old curmudgeon who screams at clouds. I play enough, I see many of these folks multiple times a season. 

Its great to see the number of younger golfers on the course these days. Maybe some will stay long after the zombie apocalypse eases.

Stay safe and healthy

• Like 1

I personally do not like music on the course. Nobody I play with does it. If I end up playing along with people who do play music I tend to just deal with it unless they ask and I’ll tell them I’d rather not. I don’t say anything about it though unless they ask. I haven’t noticed any impact to my game the times I have played with music but I have always just been the type to prefer quiet.

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure if this is just something where I've been playing. But this really seems to be getting more and more common now. I bet I see Bushnell Wingmen on 20% of the carts I see on the course these days. I would also say its getting close to about half the groups on the course have some form and method of music playing. 

It seems to me the music on the course thing has really ramped up lately. Perhaps the Covid influx has brought more music lovers out?

The course on which we play our tournament has built in speakers in the carts. The speakers can accept a multitude of jacks or be run via bluetooth. One thing I really like about those carts is they also have charging ports for you electronic devices now. 

Music on the course has been a thing for a while, but the last year or so it really seems to have taken off. Anyone else seeing that? 

18 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Music on the course has been a thing for a while, but the last year or so it really seems to have taken off. Anyone else seeing that? 

For me it varies a lot depending on where I am.

You'd hear music all the time on the old home course in Dayton, OH. There's a lot less of that at my new place despite some Garth Brooks coming from somewhere on the back nine on Sunday afternoon.

A generality seems to be that the fancier the course, the less likely you are going to hear other people's music.

25 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

A generality seems to be that the fancier the course, the less likely you are going to hear other people's music.

Maybe.

I will say this. It seems like some courses sort of shun it, while others really seem to encourage it. 

When I played Wolf Creek back in late April. It seemed like everyone on the course had their music going. Which isn't a problem there, because you are almost never near another cart unless you are at a restroom or snack shop. The sound doesn't travel through the mountains well at all, so you're never bothered by somebody else's music. At least we weren't. We played a mixture of classic rock and hair bands from the 80's/90's. I'm pretty sure we didn't bother anyone. 

Bear's Best was another place where it seemed like everyone had music playing in their cart. Bear's Best is another course that has the built in bluetooth speakers in the cart. My feeling on it is that if they put speakers and a place to plug in your phone in the cart, they are all but asking you to play music. 

I've come around to where I like it. My only issue with the speakers in the cart is once my cart mate wanted to play the Cubs' game over the bluetooth speakers. Of course, I let him. But I would have preferred some classic rock. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm not sure if this is just something where I've been playing. But this really seems to be getting more and more common now. I bet I see Bushnell Wingmen on 20% of the carts I see on the course these days. I would also say its getting close to about half the groups on the course have some form and method of music playing. 

It seems to me the music on the course thing has really ramped up lately. Perhaps the Covid influx has brought more music lovers out?

The course on which we play our tournament has built in speakers in the carts. The speakers can accept a multitude of jacks or be run via bluetooth. One thing I really like about those carts is they also have charging ports for you electronic devices now. 

I don’t have a Wingmen, but if you want, I will sing show tunes at the top of my lungs on June 13 for ya!

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I don’t have a Wingmen, but if you want, I will sing show tunes at the top of my lungs on June 13 for ya!

Dude, count me in for that!

• Funny 1