IGNORED

Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?

wedge player
Note: This thread is 1057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangeclub

I figured you wouldn't mind, since it doesn't sound like you would really enjoy a friendly $5 Nassau with dots, automatics two down, a few beers, a few laughs.

Hey, I'm all for playing for money in a friendly wager.  But an average round with some random people?  Don't really see too many random walk ons getting too involved in the heavy gambling.  More something you do with your regular foursome.

Do you show up and challenge the people on the first tee that you have never met?  I'd be all for it if somebody did that, but it is not something you see often.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Originally Posted by MrSandman

Do you show up and challenge the people on the first tee that you have never met?

Not as a single, no.  If a single joined US, as in the scenario being discussed, I can easily see asking if he wants to join the three of us in a team game, though, if he looks like he can play at all.  If not, it wouldn't matter.  (And the beer's a bit of an exaggeration...unless it's a scramble, when pounding down a few is pretty much de rigueur.  Can't say I really drink beer on the course much.  Too heavy, for one thing, and makes it difficult to deal with the bag even if I'm pushing.  Beer drinking on the course is a hassle without a cart, and I don't like carts at all -- like not even playing.)

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

Originally Posted by MrSandman

That's fine with me.

Don't know why you think you are stupid if a random person is wearing headphones while playing.  Maybe you have security issues that ae unresolved?

If you were to show up and wear headphones with me I'd leave you behind. Part of golf is being responsible to your playing partners and the rest of the course. By this I mean listening and watching where the other players shot go and to be protective of yourself and others. What do you do if you can't hear and somebody yells fore? If you walk in front of someone hitting?

I like music and a lot of music that others may not enjoy as much as me. I wouldn't expect people to put up with me playing music at inappropriate times and I sure wouldn't put up with people doing the same. Time and place for everything and a golf course is not the time and place for music...

Sun Mountain carry bag

Driver: Titleist 910D3*

Woods: Titleist 910F 13*, Alpha 18* Hybrid,

Irons: Titleist 681

Wedges: Vokey TVD 54* and 58*

Putter: Some Odyssey Anser Style.

Balls: Pro V1x,

Originally Posted by Putridgasbag

If you were to show up and wear headphones with me I'd leave you behind. Part of golf is being responsible to your playing partners and the rest of the course. By this I mean listening and watching where the other players shot go and to be protective of yourself and others. What do you do if you can't hear and somebody yells fore? If you walk in front of someone hitting?

I like music and a lot of music that others may not enjoy as much as me. I wouldn't expect people to put up with me playing music at inappropriate times and I sure wouldn't put up with people doing the same. Time and place for everything and a golf course is not the time and place for music...

But what if that guy had a really expensive watch, went to an exclusive private college, never has been in a Wal Mart or Target, and now makes !

• Upvote 2

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by Gresh24

But what if that guy had a really expensive watch, went to an exclusive private college, never has been in a Wal Mart or Target, and now makes !

Sun Mountain carry bag

Driver: Titleist 910D3*

Woods: Titleist 910F 13*, Alpha 18* Hybrid,

Irons: Titleist 681

Wedges: Vokey TVD 54* and 58*

Putter: Some Odyssey Anser Style.

Balls: Pro V1x,

I use http://www.xceoninc.com/xceon/acouztic on the course. It comes with a holster that nicely attaches to my golf bag so it's away ear me so doesn't need to be very loud. I don't use it when I play with strangers or even if I end up close to other. I can barely hear it if I leave my bag off the green and walk to the green to pull the flag. I couldn't deal with headphone cords or external speakers. It nicely self contained, holds 2 gigs of music and has a better speaker than a cellphone and a huge battery life.

here's the issue i have:

to you (those that play music) you're being respectful and turning it down whenever you're approaching another group, only you can hear it, it's not bothering anyone else.

but you're full of it. you don't actually turn it down enough if at all. you don't actually care what other people think of it, and you're going to do it regardless of what i tell you on the internet, so why bother asking?

i hate music playing and i hate people who yell and scream like they're professionals on a sunday at every green. i have certainly been loud on a course with buddies and i take no issue if a player (or ranger) came up to me and said knock it off.

the difference is the type of people who post here that they turn it down, or respect others would take huge issue with someone else telling them to shut it up and pitch a fit, even though they claim to respect other players.

the evidence is in the responses to the people who say they condemn that kind of behavior.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

I wear headphones regularly as a single. Introducing myself on the first tee is wear I get a feel for the players in the group and if I'm going to wear them or not. Usually the other players are with a buddy or don't speak English so talking is at minimum between us anyways. If you are offended by me wearing headphones while I play is pretty funny. As for me not being able to hear someone yelling fore, cmon really?

and music in the cart does not bother me.

Four 5 Stand Bag Blue   PRO V1X

910 D2 9.5° - Diamana Kal'li 65g S

RBZ Stage 2 15° - Diamana Kal'li 72g S  

913H 21° /  910H 24° - Diamana Kal'li 82g S

710 AP2 6-PW - Dynamic Gold S300SL

Vokey Spin Milled 09  56° &  60° 

#1 White Hot 34" - Ionic Grip

My Swing  

I had never played with music on of any kind until I hooked up with some folks the other day and they had tunes playing from a phone. My first thought was, "Man, I don't want to hear that!", but as the round went on, I kinda enjoyed listening. I don't know if I'll bring my own music, but I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with someone else's as long as its not blaring.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Hey everyone, I've browsed this website for a few years now for various questions I may have had but I finally decided to make an account today. Yesterday I was playing a round with one of my close friends and I decided to put on some music via my iPhone. I thought it would distract me while playing, but I actually think it helped! I cannot stand getting one song stuck in my head for the entire round, and so having a playlist of music on while I was playing was refreshing. By no means was the music loud enough for anyone else to hear, but just enough background noise for my own enjoyment. My question is, has anyone else tried this? I am aware this is probably illegal in tournament golf, but during a round alone or with friends it seems acceptable.

I've played with others when they have their phone streaming Pandora or their own personal playlist of songs playing.  It doesn't bother me as long as it is melodic and someone isn't trying to sing along with the song.

I'll also note that when I practice on the range, I always practice with my headphones and music playing... The big reason is that I can't stand listening to golfers try and give each other bogus instructional tips.  Also the practice area that I use is typically packed, so there is just a lot of commotion - people coming and going and talking.  So having music playing in my ears helps me concentrate on what I'm doing, and puts me into a zone where I completely forget about what others around me are doing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It doesn't help me, but then I never find music helpful for concentrating when I'm doing something out and about in the world.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I often play by myself and really enjoy a good Pandora station playing in my headphones, I find it helps a lot with tempo and pace of play for me. The problem I run into is when I get paired with strangers it seems rude to have headphones in so I lose my "security blanket". Long story short, for my game I find it very helpful and calming.

I tried to play the other day with the US Open telecast playing. That was too distracting. I do occasionally listen to Pandora with no effects.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Yep, I've got a Peltor head set I wear all the time. It has cloth ear liners for hot days. I  listen mostly

to AFR a christian station that talks politics during the day, and we can't get AM in this area. Other

than that the choices are 23 CW stations and I oldies station.

Originally Posted by gmc1950s

Yep, I've got a Peltor head set I wear all the time. It has cloth ear liners for hot days. I  listen mostly

to AFR a christian station that talks politics during the day, and we can't get AM in this area. Other

than that the choices are 23 CW stations and I oldies station.

I gotta say....that sounds like torture.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• 1 month later...
Do you listen to music while playing golf? Either on the range or course. Plead your case. Personally, I do not because I feel it would be inconsiderate to other golfers.

On the range with my ipod and ear buds, yeah.

On the course? Nah. I like the conversation and relaxing. I listen to enough music at work.

• Upvote 1

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Note: This thread is 1057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!