IGNORED

2017 Player Of The Year

GolfLug
Note: This thread is 2397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

POTY  

13 members have voted

1. 1. The Player of the Year is…

• Dustin Johnson
    • Jordan Spieth
    • Justin Thomas
    • Other

Dustin Johnson, Jordan Speith or Justin Thomas? 

Dustin for me... Feels like even with 4 wins thus far, he underachieved. When he is on (a lot), he was seemingly the most consistently dominant tee to green player seen since the hey day of TW and apparently he can hole out a clutch put too. Don't even get me started on his length..

Edited by iacas
added a poll (D'oh! Vishal!)
  • Upvote 1

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

JT, unless one of the others wins another tournament.  Even that might not push DJ over the edge.  It's hard to beat a Major....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Right now...I put JT and Jordan tied.  If either wins another tournament and/or the FedEx Cup, and the other doesn't, that's all she wrote.

DJ is probably a bit behind, since he doesn't have a major.  Also...it's a little tougher for him to "catch up" because the remaining events have limited fields, so the degree of difficulty isn't as high.  Of course, if he wins TWO more...that's probably enough to do it.

- John

The fact DJ doesn't have a major is HUGE. I give JT the edge over Jordan right now for POY because he has that one extra win. However, if DJ can win the TOUR Championship and Fed Ex Cup, then you can begin to make an argument for him winning POY. But as of now, JT and Jordan are a bit ahead of him.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, David in FL said:

JT, unless one of the others wins another tournament.  Even that might not push DJ over the edge.  It's hard to beat a Major....

As you know, Spieth also has a major victory.

And…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

As you know, Spieth also has a major victory.

And…

But Spieth has one fewer win. I think another win pushes him over.  Not sure that does it for DJ.  That's what I meant.

In David's bag....

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

But Spieth has one fewer win. I think another win pushes him over.  Not sure that does it for DJ.  That's what I meant.

Thomas's wins outside his major:

• CIMB Classic (off-season event few big players attend).
  • Tournament of Champs (small field, mostly a vacation for many players).
  • Sony Open (shot 59, IIRC, but otherwise also a small event, because it's costly to go there, and many are also treating this as a family vacation too).

Jordan's wins outside of his major:

• AT&T - great golf course(s), as we know.
  • Travelers - full field right in the middle of the PGA Tour season when players are playing well.

That, plus the scoring average, etc. put JS over JT by a wide margin for me.

The CIMB and ToC does little for me.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas agreed with all above.  I'd also throw in the cachet of The Open Championship trumps that of The PGA Championship.  The drama of Jordan winning that tournament will be replayed frequently on the Golf Channel specials leading up to The Open in twenty and thirty years.  Not sure that this years PGA will garner the same attention when history is written into the annals of golf. 

I voted for DJ because of his early season dominance and his ability to work his way back from an injury and win again.  However, I am reconsidering Jordan since he did win a major.  As much as I do not get excited about who wins the FedEx Cup, it is a tough grind.  If DJ can win the FedEx then I believe I made the right choice.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, wolfpackguy said:

@iacas agreed with all above.  I'd also throw in the cachet of The Open Championship trumps that of The PGA Championship.  The drama of Jordan winning that tournament will be replayed frequently on the Golf Channel specials leading up to The Open in twenty and thirty years.  Not sure that this years PGA will garner the same attention when history is written into the annals of golf. 

I don't see them as all that different. If anything, the PGA win would get a bump in my book, not because it was "more dramatic" or anything, but because the field is much stronger/deeper. The Masters has the weakest field of the majors, and the Opens are in the middle.

So the PGA I'd actually give more weight to.

But I generally don't believe in punishing a guy because he won "the wrong major" if you know what I mean.

Justin definitely beat a stronger/deeper field in winning the PGA and I would give him props for that, but very few golfers if answering honestly would say that if they could pick only one major to win in their career it would be the PGA Championship. That's why I give Jordan a bit more props for winning the Open. Maybe Justin would be different given his family background I'm not sure.  Don't get me wrong, nothing at all to be shamed about in winning any of the majors, or any tournament for that matter.  And like you say stats are stats so I can definitely understand why you would give Justin's PGA more weight due to stiffer competition.  Question will probably be moot soon as there is a lot of golf to be played over the next three weeks, and whichever of the three wins it I will have no problem with it. 

JT firming it up.

Still can't count either Spieth or DJ out though.  They're both more than capable of winning either or both of the last 2....

In David's bag....

Jordan did finish solo 2nd for the past two weeks, that should not go overlooked. However he would need to win at least one more playoff event to be considered over Justin imo. At the same time, Justin would have to have a lackluster finish in the same event.

I would think Spieth needs to win one of the next two tourneys and the FedEx Cup to claim POY.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

JT firming it up.

Still can't count either Spieth or DJ out though.  They're both more than capable of winning either or both of the last 2....

I think DJ would have to win both. Spieth could probably finish 3rd-1st or something and win the FedEx Cup to take PoY...but even that would be close. 

If Spieth wins both, even with the limited fields, I bet he still takes it.

- John

Thomas now has a major championship, a playoff win, three other Tour victories, a 59, and a 63 in a major. Not too shabby. If it ended now I think I'd give JT the edge.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

What's so great about this year is that we have someone with 5 wins, including a major, and it's still not a complete runaway...

...how cool is that?!  

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Jordan has a bad tendancy to make bad bogeys at horrible times that keeps him from winning like today.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Note: This thread is 2397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!