IGNORED

The Golf Ball "Problem": PGA Tour Players Hitting it Far is a Problem for All of Golf?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Golf Ball "Problem"  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Does the distance modern PGA Tour pros hit the ball pose a problem to golf as a whole?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is the main source of the "problem" above?

• The golf ball goes too far, primarily.
    • Several factors all contribute heavily.
    • I voted "No" above, and I don't think there's really a "problem" right now.

17 minutes ago, cipher said:

Just schedule the US Open at Erin Hills permanently.  They can make that course 9000 yards long if they want and also be able to hold a million spectators.  Let's take this thing up a notch.  😉

It’s interesting when the fairways roll out a mile. I played a tourney this summer where I was going 2iron wedge into 450yd holes. Make the fairways super soft but still cut short, and I’d have to use driver to get a wedge in. It’s still a lot of fun either way. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Question for you all. I keep hearing that modern balls and equipment provide the most benefit to pro golfers because their ability to compress the ball (or whatever). For whatever reason, these people think that there is some technology in the ball that is only unlocked at really high swing speeds or something.

Anyways, I think this is bunk because, you know, physics, but I can't find any sources to back this up. Does anyone know of any research or anything like that that talks about this issue?

I think what is likely happening is that people are confusing launch angle/spin optimization with ball and equipment advances. It's easier for pros to optimize their launch angle and spin because they have better access to Trackman and similar devices. But it's not like amateurs or hackers like us can't do the same thing; it's just more difficult.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

Question for you all. I keep hearing that modern balls and equipment provide the most benefit to pro golfers because their ability to compress the ball (or whatever). For whatever reason, these people think that there is some technology in the ball that is only unlocked at really high swing speeds or something.

Anyways, I think this is bunk because, you know, physics, but I can't find any sources to back this up. Does anyone know of any research or anything like that that talks about this issue?

I think what is likely happening is that people are confusing launch angle/spin optimization with ball and equipment advances. It's easier for pros to optimize their launch angle and spin because they have better access to Trackman and similar devices. But it's not like amateurs or hackers like us can't do the same thing; it's just more difficult.

It is bunk.

And has been.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/swing_thoughts/the_mythical_ball_boost

This graph shows why I think people think this:

usga_distance_my_version.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks, @iacas. Here's an updated article from the USGA on this, too, since the links to the USGA studies in that post are dead:

https://www.usga.org/articles/2011/04/do-long-hitters-get-an-unfair-advantage-2147496940.html

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Thanks, @iacas. Here's an updated article from the USGA on this, too, since the links to the USGA studies in that post are dead:

https://www.usga.org/articles/2011/04/do-long-hitters-get-an-unfair-advantage-2147496940.html

Thanks. I'll edit.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

It is bunk.

Good to know. I have heard the "modern ball performs better for pros because they have the speed to compress it" justification for supporting for distance related equipment roll backs and it never quite made sense to my science brain.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I voted no .... even if the tour balls are designed to go 20-30yards less(like range balls etc) how does that help the shorter hitters that also lose distance ?? .I purely think the courses have to evolve  .. I've got a great power game 280-300yrds av. on good straight drive ... and recently played a Links course with a few short PAR-5s PAR-4s ... but the risk rewards was too high ...like a good chance the ball would be lost with very thick high rough to Bush off steep sided elevated small greens..

we just need to see some holes with more bunkers heavier rough ..bushes trees etc shifted up the fairway to effect the longer hitter

Go Foxy Go

• Administrator

Firm conditions neutralize distance.

Note: This thread is 1193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!