IGNORED

September 12 Apple iPhone Event

iacas
Note: This thread is 2359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Daring Fireball alerted me to the WSJ was saying Apple was hosting an event September 12.

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2017/08/29/iphone-launch-12-sept

Apple Inc. has scheduled a product-announcement event on Sept. 12, according to people briefed on its plans, reinforcing expectations that the technology giant will release new iPhones and a smartwatch well ahead of the holiday shopping season.

The company is expected to unveil three iPhones, according to other people familiar with its plans. Those include a showcase iPhone to mark the product’s 10th anniversary that is larger and pricier and features an edge-to-edge display and facial-recognition technology, as well as updates to the two iPhone 7 models that started selling last year.

Gruber: They’re not launching D22 this year because it’s the iPhone’s 10th anniversary. They’re launching it this year because it’s ready. If it had been ready last year, they would have launched it last year. They might well mention the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone on stage at the event, but I would be very surprised — and probably a little alarmed — if they make it part of the marketing campaign for the device.

I have no idea what phone I'll be buying.

We buy one every year. I get it, my wife gets my old one, and our kid gets my wife's old one. We sell the kid's old one then.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I plan on upgrading. I have the Iphone 6s right now. So probably a good time to upgrade. I am very interested in seeing what options are coming out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I plan on getting a new iPhone. I'd really like to get whatever they end up calling the D22, but we'll see what the prices and storage options come out to be. $999 I could live with, but $1200 would be pushing it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, jamo said:

I plan on getting a new iPhone. I'd really like to get whatever they end up calling the D22, but we'll see what the prices and storage options come out to be. $999 I could live with, but $1200 would be pushing it.

That's about where I am, too. And if it's just storage space… that makes the decision even more difficult. I mean, I like to store video and photos, but I could cut back… and use my computer backups of older stuff.

Maybe.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That's about where I am, too. And if it's just storage space… that makes the decision even more difficult. I mean, I like to store video and photos, but I could cut back… and use my computer backups of older stuff.

Maybe.

I haven't used or read much about the beta, but I know iOS 11 is supposed to store (or maybe it's just sync?) iMessages in iCloud. If that works well it could obviate my desire to go above 128 GB (I'm kind of a packrat with messages and hate deleting them, but my 64 GB iPhone is more than full so I have to every few weeks). I also like to store music and photos on board.

It's also just nice not to constantly see your storage near full. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I should also add that I hope they release the rumored 4K AppleTV. I don't have a 4K TV but I've been holding off on buying a new AppleTV (I have the 3rd gen) until they release the new one.

In my bag:

1 hour ago, jamo said:

I should also add that I hope they release the rumored 4K AppleTV. I don't have a 4K TV but I've been holding off on buying a new AppleTV (I have the 3rd gen) until they release the new one.

A big issue still is content. There isn't many 4K movies coming out. There are not many 4K players. There isn't much 4K content on Netflix. I'm not sure the cost of making the AppleTV support 4K, but it still might not be cost effective to do so.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

A big issue still is content. There isn't many 4K movies coming out. There are not many 4K players. There isn't much 4K content on Netflix. I'm not sure the cost of making the AppleTV support 4K, but it still might not be cost effective to do so.

And streaming 4K is brutal.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else read the 9to5Mac spoilers about the new iPhones?

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/08/ios-11-gm-d22-iphone-8-details/

In my bag:

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, jamo said:

Anyone else read the 9to5Mac spoilers about the new iPhones?

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/08/ios-11-gm-d22-iphone-8-details/

I read it. Meh. Pretty much what we thought.

I'm still not sure which way I'm going to go.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I read it. Meh. Pretty much what we thought.

I'm still not sure which way I'm going to go.

It basically all comes down to price to me. Unless the price of the X is outrageous, I'll get one. 

I'm curious to see how some of the new features shake out, but I badly need a new phone, and (materialistically) I'd really like to have the nicest one. :-)

In my bag:

I'm not sure which one I will want. The X is intriguing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

On 9/1/2017 at 8:31 AM, iacas said:

And streaming 4K is brutal.

Do you mean buffering? Pixellation? Compression? A combination?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Why?

They sell them online. What are these people doing?

The Apple Watch with built-in LTE is a game changer IMO. To be able to stay connected even if you leave the phone behind has me real excited to get this watch. There are so many situations where I would love to leave the phone at home for a few hours but I bring it "just in case" I get an important text or call from kids/family. This is true freedom. Once I can pay for things from the watch, and it starts my car, I won't have to carry a thing in my pocket when I leave the house. 

- Mark

Apple watch with LTE like @Braivo has stated is amazing.  Now I can leave my phone in the car or even at home and not feel like I need to carry it everywhere in case the wife needs something.  I am really digging the iPhone X too...everything looks amazing on it, especially the full screen!  As long as the battery life is ok on it and it doesn't come with more than a $900-1000 price tag, I am all in on this phone.

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, Braivo said:

The Apple Watch with built-in LTE is a game changer IMO.

I don't really care about it.

Just another bill to pay, and for very little added benefit (to me). My phone is just always with me, and there aren't really times I wish I could have my watch but not have my phone.

But, I don't swim in the open water for my workouts or anything, so… whatever.

There are so many situations where I would love to leave the phone at home for a few hours but I bring it "just in case" I get an important text or call from kids/family.

I've never felt that need. If I don't want to look at my phone, I don't. It's just in my pocket (or bookbag, or the pocket of my golf bag, or whatever…).

Once I can pay for things from the watch, and it starts my car, I won't have to carry a thing in my pocket when I leave the house. 

?

I've been using Apple Pay on my Apple Watch for years. I have a Series 0. I think that was in watchOS 1. 2 for sure.

20 minutes ago, Grinde6 said:

Apple watch with LTE like @Braivo has stated is amazing.  Now I can leave my phone in the car or even at home and not feel like I need to carry it everywhere in case the wife needs something.  I am really digging the iPhone X too...everything looks amazing on it, especially the full screen!  As long as the battery life is ok on it and it doesn't come with more than a $900-1000 price tag, I am all in on this phone.

$1-$1.1k.

And the battery life is 2 hours more than the 7, they say.

Yeah, I don't get the watch love. I've never felt my phone is just some massive burden to carry around, and yet at any time I can do a lot more with it than I ever can on a watch.

I think at this point I'll be getting the larger capacity iPhone X.

I hadn't expected to, but then again, I thought it was gonna be starting at about $1200.

And I'm still good with my Series 0 Watch. :-)

Note: This thread is 2359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!