IGNORED

Upright or no?

Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recently I decided to take up Tour Edge offer on no risk trial through their official web page. It was for the EXi 6 iron. I ordered it with custom specs they allow for and requested: 1/2 inch longer, 1 deg upright, Regular Flex UST Recoil Shaft, and mid size grip.  Bearing in mind, that I have not yet been professionally fit, I did some static fit measurements which confirmed that 1/2 inch longer would be best for me (35 inches wrist to floor).  The static fit chart recommends standard lie angle, but I wanted to order the 1 deg upright figuring that I could always have it bent back to standard.

Anyway, while waiting, I took my current 6 iron which has a standard lie and held it at address with a slight toe up, and gripped it at the very end of the grip. I did this as to give me some idea of what to expect. What I noticed immediately, was very solid contact, time after time.  I even put a stripe with marker on a ball to try and determine what was actually happening at impact, Straight line.   Of course, I also know from experience, this is not all that conclusive as what happens one day, might not be the same the next. (aha moments are very fleeting).

At best, I will be paying about half price for the iron should I decide to keep it. (pretty sure, I will), then later on go to PGA Super Store to order a partial iron set 7 through AW, as they do not charge for a fitting and according to my daughter who recently got a new driver, they are fairly thorough  and do the dynamic fitting. Thanks to @onthehunt526 for the suggestion.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

Recently I decided to take up Tour Edge offer on no risk trial through their official web page. It was for the EXi 6 iron. I ordered it with custom specs they allow for and requested: 1/2 inch longer, 1 deg upright, Regular Flex UST Recoil Shaft, and mid size grip.  Bearing in mind, that I have not yet been professionally fit, I did some static fit measurements which confirmed that 1/2 inch longer would be best for me (35 inches wrist to floor).  The static fit chart recommends standard lie angle, but I wanted to order the 1 deg upright figuring that I could always have it bent back to standard.

Anyway, while waiting, I took my current 6 iron which has a standard lie and held it at address with a slight toe up, and gripped it at the very end of the grip. I did this as to give me some idea of what to expect. What I noticed immediately, was very solid contact, time after time.  I even put a stripe with marker on a ball to try and determine what was actually happening at impact, Straight line.   Of course, I also know from experience, this is not all that conclusive as what happens one day, might not be the same the next. (aha moments are very fleeting).

At best, I will be paying about half price for the iron should I decide to keep it. (pretty sure, I will), then later on go to PGA Super Store to order a partial iron set 7 through AW, as they do not charge for a fitting and according to my daughter who recently got a new driver, they are fairly thorough  and do the dynamic fitting. Thanks to @onthehunt526 for the suggestion.

You're welcome @Hacker James. 7-GW should be $437.50 for EXi's with Recoil shafts. You won't be disappointed. 

My only issue with them, is I think they could've went a smidge weaker in lofts in the longer irons...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

9 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

You're welcome @Hacker James. 7-GW should be $437.50 for EXi's with Recoil shafts. You won't be disappointed. 

My only issue with them, is I think they could've went a smidge weaker in lofts in the longer irons...

I do not mind stronger lofts. I do not remember if my older Hogan Edge's are any stronger/weaker than modern era irons, but I am thinking the new tech should feel a lot better. The TE have that power slot in their irons. Not sure if its just a gimmick or that it really has merit.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

3 hours ago, Hacker James said:

I do not mind stronger lofts. I do not remember if my older Hogan Edge's are any stronger/weaker than modern era irons, but I am thinking the new tech should feel a lot better. The TE have that power slot in their irons. Not sure if its just a gimmick or that it really has merit.

It's for forgiveness I want to say. The feel is there and you can shape it either way. 

By weaker I mean they could've went to 4 degree gaps from 6-9 iron then 5 through the wedges. I had mine bent so I have 4 degree gaps from 6 iron through AW

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

@onthehunt526  I can usually make do with same club for several different yardages. So gapping between clubs is not much of a problem for my inconsistent game. (I suck, regardless).

"James"

On 8/31/2017 at 8:28 PM, onthehunt526 said:

One more quick question if you don't mind.  How did you come up with that price? The reason I ask is that the price for full set 4-AW at PGA Superstore online is $799.90 and I am not sure you can order partial sets without going to a brick and mortar store.

"James"

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, Hacker James said:

Regular Flex UST Recoil Shaft, and mid size grip

@Hacker James I cannot speak to the Tour Edge irons but I got the UST Recoils this summer and wow are they nice as well as with a mid size grip.  I am really looking forward to your review of this set up.  The Recoils are real smooooth

For me the mid sized grips really helped me resolve finger issues/pain, I have the Winn Dri-Tacs.   

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

19 hours ago, Hacker James said:

One more quick question if you don't mind.  How did you come up with that price? The reason I ask is that the price for full set 4-AW at PGA Superstore online is $799.90 and I am not sure you can order partial sets without going to a brick and mortar store.

You just need to know a shop that is an authorized online dealer. You don't have to go to a brick & mortar store to get a partial set. You can get a partial set online...

Cape Cod Golf comes to mind but Al is an eBay dealer, but is 100% authorized to deal with Tour Edge, Wilson, etc. Then your clubs ship directly from the factory. Shoot me a PM and I can give you his e-mail.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Tks, I need to wait and see how the trial club Tour Edge is sending me feels and go f rom there. I see that several online retailers offer custom ordering. I looked at TGW, but although they accept Paypal, the button is not accessible for the custom order, but I will try a few more retailers. I will probably drop by the PGA Superstore and get a free fitting to confirm my specs. I called them, and they offer free fitting even if you do not purchase. Otherwise, I could always use another payment method.

"James"

16 hours ago, djake said:

@Hacker James I cannot speak to the Tour Edge irons but I got the UST Recoils this summer and wow are they nice as well as with a mid size grip.  I am really looking forward to your review of this set up.  The Recoils are real smooooth

For me the mid sized grips really helped me resolve finger issues/pain, I have the Winn Dri-Tacs.   

I have the UST Recoil on one of my hybrids. If I get them on the irons, they will be awesome. From a distance they look like Rifle Steel Shafts. I also have the Winn Anniversary Grips on my current irons and added extra tape when they were put on.

"James"

On 9/3/2017 at 7:11 AM, Hacker James said:

I have the UST Recoil on one of my hybrids. If I get them on the irons, they will be awesome. From a distance they look like Rifle Steel Shafts. I also have the Winn Anniversary Grips on my current irons and added extra tape when they were put on.

Ok, @djake the Trial 6 iron from Tour Edge came today. Exotics EXi, 1/2 inch longer, 1 deg upright, stock grip (UTX Lamkin) built up 1/16 inch. Shaft is UST Mamiya Recoil F3 460 regular.

First impressions: Nice looking club, one would be hard pressed to tell if it were graphite or steel at first glance. It reminds me of the no step pattern Rifle Shafts.

Feels heavier than my current irons (Hogan Edge), but well balanced, meaty heft.

Nice lines, cavity back but not too pronounced looks to be black anodized insert (could be just paint)., speed slot in the sole but filled in with material (bee hive)

sets up nicely at address without having to do any sort of manipulation.

Flex is regular, but feels a little stiffer to me. Nice comfortable swing, and you can feel the club head.

Solid hits from mat into a net, but will have to get out on a course or range to see trajectory.

Pretty sure I will opt to complete the set, even if I have to do it one club at a time.

• Thumbs Up 1

"James"

43 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Ok, @djake the Trial 6 iron from Tour Edge came today. Exotics EXi, 1/2 inch longer, 1 deg upright, stock grip (UTX Lamkin) built up 1/16 inch. Shaft is UST Mamiya Recoil F3 460 regular.

First impressions: Nice looking club, one would be hard pressed to tell if it were graphite or steel at first glance. It reminds me of the no step pattern Rifle Shafts.

Feels heavier than my current irons (Hogan Edge), but well balanced, meaty heft.

Nice lines, cavity back but not too pronounced looks to be black anodized insert (could be just paint)., speed slot in the sole but filled in with material (bee hive)

sets up nicely at address without having to do any sort of manipulation.

Flex is regular, but feels a little stiffer to me. Nice comfortable swing, and you can feel the club head.

Solid hits from mat into a net, but will have to get out on a course or range to see trajectory.

Pretty sure I will opt to complete the set, even if I have to do it one club at a time.

I personally play the F4 shaft (same exact shaft as yours), I play 2° upright and 3/4" longer (I am 6'5")...

I hit it very high, I mean tour pros hit it lower than I do... You will be surprised of the height you get out of a 28° head... 

Just a nice swing, @Hacker James I'll have to remember that.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Interesting.  I am wondering at your height, how steep you are coming into impact?  I am 6 ft 1 inches myself and I try to come in so  that I can pick off a penney placed 4 -5 inches beyond the ball, trying to ensure I am hitting the ball first and simulate taking a divot past the ball.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

Interesting.  I am wondering at your height, how steep you are coming into impact?  I am 6 ft 1 inches myself and I try to come in so  that I can pick off a penney placed 4 -5 inches beyond the ball, trying to ensure I am hitting the ball first and simulate taking a divot past the ball.

Steep, but not as steep as I used to. I, honestly up until recently wasn't even taking any divot at all with an iron, almost never. Now, I am taking divots, bacon strip divots. Which is encouraging because the divot is after the ball. The better players have been helping me with that. Next, to the wedges.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

11 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Next, to the wedges

@onthehunt526 hopefully you do a write up on the wedges you test and go with.  I find wedges fascinating and a blast to hit. 

The only thing in my current bag set up I would look at having done different is not getting the PW in the set but instead include the PW on down in a full wedge fitting. 

Maybe I am wrong but 9 iron on up seam to be all in the same design pattern yet the PW almost seams like a after thought.  Like the odd duck out of iron sets.  Yet when you look at wedges alone they all fit together in harmony with each other.  Thus why I fell if I were to do it over again I would go 5 iron on down to 9 iron for my set and fit the PW thru all the wedges as the same.

sorry @Hacker James for probably pulling this off topic.  I agree with you, the Recoils look like steel shafts and I hear that from people I golf with.  But they are real smooth, dampen the shock thru my body yet still very good feedback.

I am 1 1/2 degrees upright on my irons and I am 5'11"

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

1 hour ago, djake said:

@onthehunt526 

Maybe I am wrong but 9 iron on up seam to be all in the same design pattern yet the PW almost seams like a after thought.  Like the odd duck out of iron sets.  Yet when you look at wedges alone they all fit together in harmony with each other.  Thus why I fell if I were to do it over again I would go 5 iron on down to 9 iron for my set and fit the PW thru all the wedges as the same.

Most wedge sets that I've seen  are usually SW,AW,LW with varying degrees of sand and lob. Some 5 wedge sets even.  I will probably complete my EXi set with 7-PW and perhaps get a set of wedges later  Vokey, Cleveland, whatever. I can get by with what I have which are an old set of Tom Watson (Adams), since mostly shorter distances not requiring full swing. 

"James"

2 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Most wedge sets that I've seen  are usually SW,AW,LW with varying degrees of sand and lob. Some 5 wedge sets even.  I will probably complete my EXi set with 7-PW and perhaps get a set of wedges later  Vokey, Cleveland, whatever. I can get by with what I have which are an old set of Tom Watson (Adams), since mostly shorter distances not requiring full swing. 

With the PW being 45°, I would go with a 50° as your next wedge.

I personally play the Exotics CB Pro S wedges 52° and 56° are in the bag. But my irons are bent to accommadate 4° gapping.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

You may want to get some lie tape and hit it on a piece of 1/4" Lexan to see if you have the correct lie before you order a complete set. Or go to a shop and hit on their lie board

Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!