IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge September 2017

iacas
Note: This thread is 2361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for September, 2017! The rules are the same as always:

• Make a detailed post describing your practice every day during the month. Try to limit the number of very short or "ditto" type posts. Describe what you did for at least five minutes of practice (indoors or out, with or without golf balls, etc.).
  • No back-dating or pre-dating posts or practice sessions.
  • On the last day of the month, if you completed the challenge, post about it in red text so I can notice it and give you the award.

Enjoy and practice hard!

Note: you can miss one day per monthly challenge if you have a good reason and still be eligible for the monthly award.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sept. 1

Worked out for 10 minutes in yard with the SKLZ Golf Flex swing trainer.

First did some baseball swings (recommended by local pro) to get the feeling of proper weight shift. Then, did some takeaway to top drills to make sure my balance was correct. Also, ensured my left wrist was flat at takeaway and at top. (I noticed recently I sometimes end up with cupped left wrist in set-up rather than flat.)

Finished up with some full swings. Need to make sure I maintain proper knee flex to get good diagonal swing path. If I start standing up too upright, I get too spinny with hips. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

9/1/17:

Played a 9 hole practice round today in preparation for my Semifinal match in the Ithaca City Championship. Lots of nGIR today, which is really all I'll need, I outdrive my opponent by a good 30 yards (That's being conservative). Hopefully I can keep that nGIR to hole out average under 3.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

9/1 --

Spent about 15 minutes hitting putts on living room floor (hardwood). Laid a couple rods down to try to hone in my alignment and stroke. I have been solid inside 5 feet lately, but haven't sank a decent length putt in the last few rounds... Also took some swings with the swing stick from the Tittle (I use the swing stick frequently, the only thing that product was good for) and read a good chunk of "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect."

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5* S driver
Nike VR-S 3W
Cobra AMP Cell 3H
Callaway Big Bertha 3-10i, 50* W
Ping M/B 56* W
Ping M/B 60* W
Odyssey Black Series #8 

After being so close and yet so far in August, there's no way I was going to miss today.

September 1.  A friend helped me finish putting together the new mat.  The good news is I can take swings indoors now with a 6-iron.  The bad news is even the soft plushy ball bounces around when I hit it.  I need to order the wall thing to hit into.

Therefore, today was slow swings, no ball, but indoors on this mat.  I mostly focused on taking my hands high at A4 and bringing in the angle at A5.  And now I know where to put the mirror, so hopefully I can check this more easily going forward.

Here's to achieving in September.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Sept. 2

On road w/o clubs. Worked on spine angle for stance, relaxed arm hang for 5 min using room full length mirror.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Went to the covered driving range in my home town today to test out the "keep lead arm straight" practice I've been doing the last week. It panned out nicely. I was able to hit much better shots and nothing came out "thin" with an ouch feeling that I experienced on the range coming back to this game. I got some really clean hits off the mats today, and got some off the grass in front of them as well. Against the rules, but it was so hot that no one came out to stop me the three shots I took, but at least I picked up the divots and replaced them. . .:whistle:

It's way too hot to play today as it was almost 100F with 50% RH at 9:00am and currently 105F/23%.

My son was starting to hit some really long shots once he warmed up. 7i carried just past the 186 hill, and he hit high on the fence 270 yards away a couple times with his driver. I wasn't exactly short either, it was hot and humid enough to make both of us feel like we were hitting pro distances with emphasis on "feel". :-D Well, it was a fun session, and we impressed a few newbies. :-P

So, during the week, I'll continue to practice keeping my lead arm straight. That crappy tendency probably cost me 4 strokes my last round at Brookside, and I can't wait to play a round with it reduced or hopefully gone. . .

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

September 2.  No ball, but on the mat in my golf room.  Slow swings, I think the transition A4 to A5 is becoming more natural.  Amazingly, I might not hit a ball with this swing until the first tee on Monday ... I think I need to find a way for live ball practice before then.  In any case, got a few good minutes in today on the mat.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

9/2/17:

So I lost my match 3 & 2. Poor driving cost me in the end, too many pitch outs and being around trees to recover. Though it was a volatile match to say the least. Of the 16 holes played Ray and I only halved 1 hole, the 11th in bogey 4s. We each did have a birdie. He birdied #2 with a left to right slider to go 2 up through 2 then I answered right back with a birdie from similar length on the 3rd hole... I was actually 1 up after 5, Then lost 3 in a row at 6, 7 and 8 with 3 penalty strokes on 6 and 7 (I actually made bogey on 7 after going OB). Won 9 and 10 with pars to square the match. Ray got hot with the putter 12 and made a 15 footer for par after I missed from 16 feet. Ray won 13 and 14 after I got tied up in the trees on both holes. I actually got tied up in the trees on 15, but hit a great recovery shot to get a nGIR and made par to get back to 2 down. 

On 16, unlike last Saturday wasn't a complete mess... But the fatal error I made was hitting way too much club off the tee... Yes the wind was behind but I wasn't that strong. I hit a 3-hybrid on the 211 yard 16th, 25 yards over the green, and the flagstick was in the middle third. So my hybrid went 240ish yards, I just nutted it... 

Ray consequently hit Driver, yes driver just short of the green... I hit my chip-and-run pretty well, it just didn't bite (I went with the chip-and-run because I thought it was the best play to try and get close)

I chipped on to twelve feet, Ray didn't hit a good first putt... But holed a 20-footer to win the match, I told him... "I hit my best shot, all day (feeling wise) and make 4, all I can do is shake the hand of the man, who made a putt to win."  Hilariously, I made that 12 footer for bogey, when it didn't matter.

One good thing is, when I did have the chance to and wasn't in the trees. I hit some very very good iron shots... 

P.S. If you want to say I missed yesterday, you can, but I have a damn good reason, Becky and I's baby shower was yesterday afternoon and I had to distract my wife for a bit... (It was a surprise party). That and I wanted to post a more detailed post anyway.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Too hot and humid to play, so my son and I putt in the living room.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

9/3/17:

Played some holes today. Got a few tips from a couple "A" players (one of which used to be a pro).

So I am officially switching my putter grip to "The Claw". I'm just more consistent with my distance control. And the accuracy better... I'm probably within 1° of my intended line with the claw... The dispersion is much better. 

Got my stupid over the top move sorted out... The last five holes I played... I hit 3 out of 5 GIR and both of the 2 I missed were nGIR.

Finally, my alignment is FIXED not kind of fixed, but actually fixed. G-Dub gave me a simple little techinque to line up properly..

I did miss a couple shots via bad swings, but once we fixed the over-the-top thing and slowing down the backswing and transition... I crushed a drive 260 into the wind on 18. (I did hit a horrible second shot)

I have serious, serious, wedge issues... That need serious, serious help... But I've got the irons, driving and putting sorted out. I'm sure @iacas could probably give me a few ideas on what to think about when hitting a wedge shot.  But that's not for this thread.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

September 3.  Wanted to see ball flight and not be afraid of hitting even a foam ball, so I went to the range.  Hit a small bucket.  Mats, late so lights, couldn't use camera.  Focused in practice swing at getting hands high at A4 and bringing the club down to preserve the angle (but without camera or mirror, couldn't check all that easily).  Hit several very well.  Also did some putting.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Sept.3

hip / back stretches/ no wedges// family crisis

4//9/2017

Indoor practice. New putter so 10 mins putting to a fake hole to get used to weight and roll. Plan on putting practice at least 5 times a week even if only for 5 mins or so. Not hard as its a lovely putter.

5 mins chipping foam balls and hitting lob wedge pitches

5 mins full swing , no ball just to keep my swing ticking along.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

9/4/17:

Worked on putting today, as I have to work at noon. The claw does feel different, but I'm more consistent on my distance control and accuracy.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

September 4 - played 18 at my home course.  Shot an 86;  triple on #3, double on #4, only one hole worse than bogey (double on #9) after that.  Good for a 13.9 differential, trend index now 13.5. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Sept. 4

Got in a good 90-minute workout at range. One overall focus... lightening my right hand grip so I don't strangle shots.

• Contract drills: 7i with half swing; used rope tee boundary on range... set up to left of the rope, started shot to right of rope and brought it back over (draw action).
  • Hit 8i shots. Was pulling ball at first, but adjusted my grip (flat left wrist), and tried lining up ball on second quadrant of clubface (I hit lots of shots toward toe end of irons). This resulted

QuadrantsFace.thumb.jpg.67545c6ccf2267bea6e6e82f81832941.jpg

in more center hits; and, by adjusting aim point a tad to the right,     brought the draw back on target.

• Hit 5i shots. Duplicated 8i routine with longer club. Had mishits at first, but went back to contact drills, and then started hitting fairly decent 5i shots.
  • Talked to Christian Heavens. A local mini-tour player, who was practicing beside me. He did Latin America in 2016, and has played in assorted open tournaments in Midwest this season. He always talks to me for awhile when we see each other, asks me about my game.
  • Let my 4H redeem itself! The 22* 4H has been in time-out for three weeks; tied to  too many double bogies! I gave it a new chance, and tried the advice of making sure I was swinging it like an iron and not a FW.
  • Driver and 4W. Did contact drills with both, and then hit some full shots. Driver fine as long as I finished high and didn't spin left. 4W, works as long as I don't overswing. Light grip really helps!

Finished up with some lag putts, and some 10-foot-or-less putts. Emphasis on proper grip, sole perpendicular to ground, distinct follow-through with clubface pointed toward cup.

Best practice day of the summer. I could feel myself when balanced, or out of balance.

Edited by WUTiger
Adjust diagram.

Slow and steady straight lead arm swings. Trying to develop a fixed rhythm with this straight lead arm.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!