Sign in to follow this  
dennyjones

Trackman Range at Carl's in Bloomfield Hills, MI

15 posts / 2375 viewsLast Reply

In May 2017, GolfWRX Contributor Adam Crawford published a story titled,” Is the future of golf hiding in Trackman’s code.” It detailed a new technology from Trackman called “Trackman Range,” which was at the time was only available in the company’s home country of Denmark.

Imagine walking onto a driving range, setting your bag down behind a selected spot of turf, and pulling your phone out. You scroll through your apps and select the Trackman app. Once you log on to the app, you’ll be connected to the Trackman server at said range, and then you’ll be prompted to hit a calibration shot. You take a swing, look at your phone once more, and the prompt will ask you, “Was this your shot?” You confirm it is and then you’re locked in.

Now for the next however long you’re at the range, Trackman will provide you the same data the pros are getting for each and every shot with the data hub right on your phone. While you’re checking your numbers, it will also be doing the same exact thing, at the same exact time, for the 75 other golfers hitting balls down range. And you didn’t have to pay a penny extra.

U.S. golfers don’t have to imagine this technology anymore… that is, if they’re willing to visit the Detroit area. Trackman has entered a partnership with Carl’s Golfland, a Michigan-based golf retailer and practice facility, to install its Range Solution at the company’s 15-acre Bloomfield Hills practice facility. The technology will offer golfers real-time stats for launch angle, ball speed, carry and total yards from the Trackman app, which golfers can download for free. Club head data won’t be available, but according to Trackman, future enhancements of single and multi-player range games will be offered “soon.”

As a Metro Detroit native, I’m ecstatic to have this technology available in my backyard. As much fun as places like TopGolf are, they’re no substitute for a Trackman range session. I hope this technology spreads.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

You could also just get a FlightScope Mevo. :-D

(It's pretty cool…)

Not all of the same info of course. But you do get to take it back home with you…

Actually… "Trackman Range is a joke. You just see yardages, ball speed, launch angle and height."

In that case, Mevo may actually be a bit better!

Launch angle, distance and carry radar numbers pumped to your smartphone free via Trackman Range, I guess it uses some kind of beaming thingy technology. Anyone in the area? Give us a report!

I'm about 45 minutes from there.   I may go just to check it out.   Like @iacas stated, the Mevo, which I've considered, may work better for me.  

Edited by dennyjones

I called Carl's and they should have the Trackman Range up and running in late October.   There will not be any additional fees.   Just for the novelty, I may have to check it out.  

I go to Carls all the time.  It would be nice to have spin numbers but that is not a bad thing.  You can know how far you hit it.  Launch angel is an interesting thing to know but without knowing if you are hitting up or down on it and dynamic loft it is of limited use.

I just got an email from Carl's Golfland.   Monday, 10/30 is the grand opening of the Trackman range.   Range balls are free.  Since the weather is not conducive to golfing, I may head down there to check it out.  

carl's.PNG

Edited by dennyjones

Well...I went down there today to test out the trackman range.  

Today the range was free because it was the opening day.   They handed me a full bucket ticket of range balls and an instruction sheet.  

Unfortunately, after downloading the app, signing in, it didn't work on my android S5.   The Trackman tech tried but wasn't successful.  It seemed to work for others that were using iphones.   

The biggest complaint I heard was people talking about the lack of distance.   It was cold, 42º, the wind was blowing toward the tee box and we were using range balls.   These factors made it understandable 

My take, it's a nice gadget... 

20171030_150225-1.jpg

Edited by dennyjones

So, other than not working on your device… did it work? Did it miss shots? Were the yardages accurate? Did it give you more info than just carry yardages?

Sorry you had trouble with the app @dennyjones, maybe it's the wifi radio? Sometimes I have problems with public wifi where there are router compatibility problems. Anyways, couldn't find any videos on social media, but will check in later, as it's early. Found these:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/golf/2017/10/29/trackman-range-carls-golfland/811664001/

Got the heaters on? Mid 40's and rain is not ideal for the range

The heaters worked just fine.   It did drizzle a little but not enough to cause a problem.  

15 hours ago, iacas said:

So, other than not working on your device… did it work? Did it miss shots? Were the yardages accurate? Did it give you more info than just carry yardages?

I can't speak for what did work.   I used the tech's iphone for about 5 shots and it gave carry distance and total distance.  Those few shots were accurate for the distance.   I pulled out my rangefinder to verify the distances.  I spent most of the time working with him on my S5.   The guy next to me with an iphone was getting a beep with every shot.   

A writeup from Golfwrx:

http://www.golfwrx.com/476572/carls-golfland-opens-new-trackman-range-entire-range-equipped-with-trackman/

I hope this doodad can withstand a direct hit. Sure they know what they're doing.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 3.23.52 PM.png

So it's been a month, although getting colder, I checked the interwebs to see what people have to say and nada. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook. All crickets. Guess will have to wait till it warms up or some locals to blog about it.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...