IGNORED

3 wood vs. 1 hybrid

Note: This thread is 4394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you prefer a 3 wood or a 1 hybrid?

• 3 wood
    • 1 hybrid

I use a 15* hybrid and find it to be an acceptable compromise between a 3 wood and a 2 iron (since I like having that extra wedge). It's not very workable, but it's a lot easier to control than a 3 wood.

I was hoping it would be more usable out of the rough, but then a 3 wood isn't much good for that either. I'd consider replacing my 3 iron with a hybrid, but then there's my ego to think about!

• 1 year later...
Currently, I use a driver, and no other fairway woods. I carry a 1,2,3,4,5 hybrid. At 53, I still have a solid 4 handicap but just don't play enough to hit the longer irons consistently. I was always an average fairway wood player in my younger days, but am again considering a 3 wood. In the past i have experimented with various clubs, but now I don't know if I should continue experimenting. I hit the hybrids very consistently, with my 1 hybrid topping out at 220 off the tee. Is it worth adding the 3 wood? My buddies think I am crazy because I am looking for those extra 20-25 yds especially on reachable par 5's. I tell them I want to get home in two, they tell my why? you always par or birdie those holes anyway. Give me your feedback guys. Thanks.

Currently, I use a driver, and no other fairway woods. I carry a 1,2,3,4,5 hybrid. At 53, I still have a solid 4 handicap but just don't play enough to hit the longer irons consistently. I was always an average fairway wood player in my younger days, but am again considering a 3 wood. In the past i have experimented with various clubs, but now I don't know if I should continue experimenting. I hit the hybrids very consistently, with my 1 hybrid topping out at 220 off the tee. Is it worth adding the 3 wood? My buddies think I am crazy because I am looking for those extra 20-25 yds especially on reachable par 5's. I tell them I want to get home in two, they tell my why? you always par or birdie those holes anyway. Give me your feedback guys. Thanks.

As crazy as this may sound, I had the same question and came up with a solution that worked PERFECTLY for me. I am a 5 hdcp and I ALWAYS choked down on my 3 wood, so...

Great idea if you're hitting it well now!

I'm just curious, how much distance did you lose on your good shots?

I love my 3 wood. So much distance and control off the tee (I use it more than driver, especially on holes hat don't play to my faults well) and a great option on huge fairway or light rough shots.

I don't own a 1-hybrid though so I don't really know. I just love my 3 wood so much I can't imagine another club ever taking its place.

OK. I'm in your neighborhood in age. You're nuts. Stay with the hybrids.

OK. I'm in your neighborhood in age. You're nuts. Stay with the hybrids.

Thanks for your reply. I needed to hear what you said just the way you said it. I don't know why, as golfers, we have to always be looking to fix things when they aren't broke! Thanks again.

Interesting thread, as I recently picked up a 1H 16° hybrid and took out my 3 & 5 woods. I did this to add a "cheater" chipper to my bag.

I absolutely loved my Fw woods and hit them so well my friends told me to take driver out of my bag. But the 16 was supposed to offer me some versatility, as I really couldn't hit my 3w off the fairway too well.

So far the the 1H isn't working out as well as I had thought. I don't know what it is about the club, but I just can't seem to hit it that well. I also have a 3H that I hit very well. It's weird - with t he shorter shaft, thought it would have offered me a better, more versatile club, but so far... not happenin'. I need to get to a range and work it out. I'd like to keep the chipper in the bag, I guess I could just remove the 3W.

Note: This thread is 4394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!