IGNORED

Can I cut my irons shorter ?

Note: This thread is 1423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quick question guys . I'm struggling with my 4-5-6 irons . I hit my 7 iron through to my wedges well . I find with the longer shaft of the longer irons I loose my balance in my back swing and struggle to transfer correctly into my down swing and impact . Usually resulting in a thin shot or occasionally a big fat shot . 

Im due to re grip my clubs and I'm considering trimming the shaft of my 4-5-6 irons to the length of my 7 iron . 

Had anyone tried this and how did it work out ? 

You probably do not want to do that. The length of the iron plays a part in getting proper distance from the iron as well as height of the shot. If you cut your irons down you will not be able to get good yardage gaps in your long irons. If you are to go the single length iron route then you'd probably want irons designed specifically for that. The lie and lofts of the clubs will be designed with the purpose of getting good yardage gaps.

• Thanks 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Uroy267 said:

Quick question guys . I'm struggling with my 4-5-6 irons . I hit my 7 iron through to my wedges well . I find with the longer shaft of the longer irons I loose my balance in my back swing and struggle to transfer correctly into my down swing and impact . Usually resulting in a thin shot or occasionally a big fat shot . 

Im due to re grip my clubs and I'm considering trimming the shaft of my 4-5-6 irons to the length of my 7 iron . 

So essentially you are after single length style irons?

like @saevel25says it may give you gapping issues but the swing weights will be out as well. If you want single lenght irons and not spend too much, try Hireko golf. They do them and each club is individually weighted so you get the correct yardage for the club (player dependant of course :-))

• Thanks 1

Agree with the others, cutting them down will cause gapping and swing weight issues. Much better off trying out single length irons. Cobra F7 single length iron sets are going on ebay for around $300.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Uroy267 said:

. I find with the longer shaft of the longer irons I loose my balance in my back swing

You are probably taking too long of a back swing then. Make half swings with the club and you will probably start hitting it better. Your back swing is pulling you head off the ball.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2017 at 10:41 AM, Valleygolfer said:

You are probably taking too long of a back swing then. Make half swings with the club and you will probably start hitting it better. Your back swing is pulling you head off the ball.

This is a great point! Just because you are swinging a longer iron doesn't mean you need to swing them longer! Nor does it mean you need to swing them harder! Just take your normal swing and let the club do the work it was designed to do.

On 9/8/2017 at 8:46 AM, David in FL said:

Can you?  Sure.

Should you?  Absolutely not.

Oh, I don't know about that. I think Bryson DeChambeau would have something to say about that....even though he's very much an exception, not the norm.

Just say'n.:whistle:

I'd say if you REALLY want most of your irons to be the same length, don't cut your current shafts. Instead, change out your current shafts to new shafts that are all the same length, like Bryson DeChambeau.

Edited by BallMarker

4 hours ago, BallMarker said:

Oh, I don't know about that. I think Bryson DeChambeau would have something to say about that....even though he's very much an exception, not the norm.

Just say'n.:whistle:

I'd say if you REALLY want most of your irons to be the same length, don't cut your current shafts. Instead, change out your current shafts to new shafts that are all the same length, like Bryson DeChambeau.

Well, that's not exactly how Bryson did it.

There is way more that goes into a single-length iron set than installing new shafts that are all the same length into a standard set of heads.  Instead of struggling to hit 3 of his irons, it would probably increase it to 6 irons.

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2017 at 2:37 AM, Uroy267 said:

Had this same issue coming back to golf until Sunday. Even worse, actually. I could only hit up to 8i. On Sunday morning, one of my long time range buddies said "Stick your butt out!" And that worked, for me anyway. My balance was towards the toes at setup. Once I did this all my irons and hybrid hit pretty well.

I would hold off cutting anything. . .

Edited by Lihu

Note: This thread is 1423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!