• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Hacker4life

Looking for hidden gems on a golf trip to Ireland

Hacker4life    2

I used to live in England for 4 years. Moved to Turkey for a couple and now living in Italy. When I was in England my buddies and I would take a trip once a year to play golf. We went to Scotland twice and Ireland twice. Next weekend on the 16th we are headed back to Ireland for a 9 days. We are going to play Wicklow, Blainroe, Arklow, and the Dublin island course. We were looking at some other courses in the area. Wanted to know if anybody knows any little hidden gems in the area. Doesn't matter if they are 9 hole or 18 holes. We just like to get out have some fun a few laughs and end it with a few pints at the pub.

We did play druids glen too. But not sure if we are going to play that course again.   

PaddyMac    6

If you’re going to be in and around the Dublin area I suggest you set aside one of the nights and stay in the Midlands area preferably Athlone. It’s about 70 miles from Dublin (about a 60-70 mins on motorway direct route down the motorway so easily found) where there are wonderful golf courses surrounded by water. My recommendation would be to play in Glasson Golf Club ( €40 green fees) first day and grab some lunch there ( or in the small Glasson village, quaint pub etc ) then head the 3 miles into Athlone book a hotel and head to Sean’s Bar for the night (Irish Bar with a great crowd / usually music just beside the Shannon river) then the next morning play Athlone Golf Course (they offer savings for certain times of the day, particularly the early morning and then head back to Dublin in the evening the following day. Two great golf courses, nice views , bar, music all 20 mins from each other.

Either way enjoy your trip to our fair isles...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

PaddyMac    6
On 9/11/2017 at 6:56 AM, Hacker4life said:

PaddyMac,

Thank you very much for the recommendation. We are going to check out those courses.

Bobby

Don't forget to lets us know how it went :-) oh and bring a rain jacket and extra balls there starting to plug here now with the rain all week..

Chanceman    5

My lady and I are off to Ireland next year and my list of possible gems is:

Castle (near Dublin)

Ardglass (near County Down)

Strandhill (near Sligo)

Dooks (Ring of Kerry)

Tramore (East Coast).

Should be fun.

DaveP043    1,301
13 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Castle (near Dublin)

Strandhill (near Sligo)

Dooks (Ring of Kerry)

Tramore (East Coast).

Should be fun.

Dooks is a lot of fun, a proper links without a big name.  When you're near Sligo I can recommend Enniscrone and Carne at Belumllet.  I posted a few photos and descriptions from our trip last June:

phan52    145
On 9/16/2017 at 4:58 AM, Chanceman said:

Castle (near Dublin)

Strandhill (near Sligo)

Dooks (Ring of Kerry)

Tramore (East Coast).

Should be fun.

Played Ardglass last year. We were playing County Down the next day and were looking for something nearby and Ardglass was a great find. Another one not far from there, just over the border in the Republic is County Louth. Never played Strandhill but did play Sligo and it was great. 

Edited by phan52