North Berwick -- most fun

Lahinch -- What Ireland is all about

Augusta -- best experience, fried chicken and olives

Kingsbarns -- most dramatic

Fishers Island -- most scenic

Ballybunion -- best craic

Cypress  -- best combination of scenery and shot value

The Misquamicut Club  -- Home

Of all of the rest, this list has more of the exclusive clubs than the rest.  Have you played all of these already?  If so, I'm seriously jealous

And I think the lists are interesting, a nice mix of the famous and the obscure.  Almost all of us have a few courses that are special to us way beyond their place in the hierarchy of great golf courses, and its fun to read the stories about them.

Edited by DaveP043

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great question. 

Augusta National, St Andrews Old, Royal Dornoch, Sunningdale Old, Meadow Club, Cape Wickham, Royal Bled, Carnoustie, Pasatiempo, Royal Melbourne. Never played Bled, Dornoch or Augusta but the others are magic.

I have played them. Six out of 10 have public access. I am a member of two and get on one more based on reciprocity. The others took a bit of networking and schmoozing.

1 hour ago, VOX said:

I have played them. Six out of 10 have public access. I am a member of two and get on one more based on reciprocity. The others took a bit of networking and schmoozing.

OK, I'm seriously jealous!  But I've been lucky myself to play some great places, so I'm not over-the-top jealous.  And I still have a few years left to add to my list, and to enjoy the courses I get to play regularly.

I'm going to list 9 because I'm reserving a spot for Cabot Cliffs, gonna play there if it kills me. 

Bandon Dunes - Gorgeous, another Earth.

Silloth On Solway GC - Quirky, very British.

Hillside GC - Ethereal, classic, unforgettable.

Wallasey GC - History, tradition, super friendly people. First Stableford here.

Pine Needles - Charming Southern belle.

Spyglass - Verdant, you'd think forest nymphs live here.

The Links at Union Vale - Ireland-ish in NYC.

Howell Park, Bethpage Blue - Local favorites.

On 9/16/2017 at 2:53 AM, Chanceman said:

Never played Bled, Dornoch or Augusta but the others are magic.

Then you don't get to list them.

To all… the first post says "of the courses you've played…".

So, yeah, this isn't a "dream courses" list, it's a list of the courses you've played that you'd play again in your last ten.

On 9/9/2017 at 9:27 PM, iacas said:

Where's your list @Buckeyebowman?

If you're gonna comment on someone else's, put yours out there.

Fair is fair. :-D

Oh, you bastard!

While I'm not the world traveler like some here, I suppose I could cobble together a list of my ten best.

1. Fowler's Mill GC, Chesterland, Oh. A classic Pete Dye design on a beautiful piece of property! Did you know that Pete Dye was an Ohio boy? Country club conditioning at an affordable price.

2. Thunder Hill Golf Course, Madison, OH. Perhaps the single most spectacular course I have ever played! The unique design made it feel like the hole you were playing was the only hole out there. And it was HARD! Only problem was they built it way out in the boonies, and spent too much money on it. It's closed now.

3. Tippecanoe CC, Youngstown, OH. Perhaps the single most difficult course I have ever played! Played in an outing there, and went back later to ask who designed the place. Turned out the original design was done by Donald Ross. It's been "tweaked" a few times since. The greens are mind boggling!

4. Spyglass Hill, Monterey, CA. While beautiful and scenic, it is much less difficult than the 3 courses mentioned previously. You just get a buzz being from OH and playing golf in CA!

5. Manakiki GC, Willoughby Hills, OH. Another Donald Ross design and a classic! Built on the old estate of business magnate Howard Hanna, with the old mansion serving as clubhouse and entertainment center. Destined to remain a golf course due to the wishes of Hanna's decedents! Great golf!

6. Tanglewood National GC, Chagrin Falls, OH. Another difficult course. Fuzzy Zoeller was brought in for the inaugural round, and said, "You could grow the rough a little bit, and play the Open here!" It's long, with lots of elevation changes and water! 

7. Hawthorne Valley CC, Solon, OH. Another Donald Ross design. Kind of in flux with changes of management.Used to be private, now semi. We'll see how things turn out! Great course, now needs dedicated maintenance.

8. Sleepy Hollow GC, Brecksville, OH. Just might be the hardest public GC in the state! But it's now owned by Cleveland Metroparks, and there have been differing opinions offered as to conditioning!

9. Yankee Run GC, Brookfield, OH. This is a spectacularly beautiful and challenging golf course that is right in my back yard! It has been in existence for close to one hundred years, but it's no old fogey. They keep re-imagining the course to keep it up to date.

10. Mill Creek Park GC. Youngstown, OH. Another old Ross design from the late '20's early 30's. This is where I Iearned to play golf! Lots of bunkers, but if you can fly the ball right, you can run it up on the green! Classic Ross design!

On 9/17/2017 at 11:35 PM, iacas said:

Then you don't get to list them.

To all… the first post says "of the courses you've played…".

So, yeah, this isn't a "dream courses" list, it's a list of the courses you've played that you'd play again in your last ten.

Well OK then....Pebble Beach, Kingston Heath and Traralgon