IGNORED

My Swing (aasimzkhan)

aasimzkhan
Note: This thread is 1492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

34 minutes ago, aasimzkhan said:

@IrishAndy it's just three days work and I think the drop has decreased quite a bit. Defo still some left.

It feels like my backswing is shorter now, more compact - may just be a feeling, but since on every alt shot I'm focusing on stopping it, it's not over extending...

Yes, self taught works - now with YouTube and forums like this, people have so many places to get direction and engage with likeminded people. Dare I ask, who was this fellow you hit a few balls with? 

Well, REALLY nice work so far!  And in such a short period of time!

Ah, his name will come to me... this was about 7 years ago, and only worked with him for a few months.  Really good guy.  If I'm not completely mistaken he was a junior champion.  I'll have to dust off the cobwebs on this old brain...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aasimzkhan said:

Would love to hear back from you guys.

Keep working on the backswing pieces. Right hand/arm riding on top of the left all the way to the top.

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 12.48.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-15 at 12.48.57 PM.png

For the downswing, I would work on this drill/feel. Make slow swings, film it and keep doing it until the picture changes from the hips being square to rotated left of the target.

12 hours ago, aasimzkhan said:

It's just that although here in Pakistan, we have over 55 courses, there's not a single qualified coach. Everyone is self-taught.

Check out these guys,

http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
On 9/12/2017 at 3:28 AM, aasimzkhan said:

@mvmac  i'm also trying to get my tailbone in and the club face facing the ball as much as possible...

I'd work on THAT and ONLY THAT right now.

Yes, it does seem like you're trying to do too much.

I don't know @IrishAndy's qualifications, but I know @mvmac's.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'd work on THAT and ONLY THAT right now.

Yes, it does seem like you're trying to do too much.

I don't know @IrishAndy's qualifications, but I know @mvmac's.

Erik, you seem to have lots of accomplishments, and know your stuff.  You also have the makings of a good site here, largely thanks to some really good people on here, albeit it can be a little slow-moving.  Other than the occasional site crash I think I'm starting to understand why...

Regardless of your apparent accomplishments you do, however, have the ability to act like a complete child at times.  Disagreeing with you comes at a price it seems.  Thankfully not too high a price, though.

@aasimzkhan simply mentioned that his hands were continuing to drop.  I offered a simple suggestion having struggled with exactly the same thing.  It worked for me.  He thought it was working for him.

You do love the jabs, though.  Don't worry... it's just immaturity and many successfully grow out of it.  I won't offer any advice for that, though, as there are plenty of qualified professionals that can help you with your own struggles.

Good luck growing the site.  Seriously, I mean that.  Lessening the childish behavior will help, but you'll be fighting the ego and that's a tough one for anybody.  I'll leave you to it.  I have other places to be.

@aasimzkhan - I have no doubt you'll be as good a golfer as you want to be.  Not because of advice you receive here or anywhere else, but because you have a great attitude and are willing to do what it takes to get better, and whether it's golf or anything else, they're the best attributes anyone can have.  Good luck!!

Andy

@IrishAndy- I haven't fully caught up with other threads that may have led to this reaction here, but isolated in this is thread, your reaction seems extreme to me.

The moderators will sometimes pow-wow behind the scenes when there are reactions like this, and Erik sincerely seeks our input. He questions himself about why people react this way sometimes, so while you may not see that, he does try to understand why he sets people off. Well, sometimes he admits he's a dick, but at those times he knows it and can have a reason for why he gets spun up.

This is not one of those times. 

While we mods are not sycophants, I will say that we mostly have become familiar with Erik's style. Speaking strictly for me, I read his statement very plainly, without any intent to insult you. I think that's a fair reading.

I (or another mod) may split out this offshoot topic as its own thread, if there's any desire to continue talking about this ( @aasimzkhan  deserves an unpolluted swing thread). I'd prefer to let it drop here, however. Plus, it seems you're moving on, which is fine too. That's your choice, but you're also welcome to continue here on the site, if future interactions can be without so much of the offense-taking.

We are fine with you objecting to the tone of anyone (including Erik and other moderators), but in this case, I could only think "wow that escalated quickly." Less of that, and more just simply stating your objection when there's no need to go nuclear. Believe me, Erik is fine with duking out arguments with reasoned evidence and facts. It's not disagreement that riles him up. In fact, I think he's likely bored by agreement. He's the kind of person that wants to be challenged, not necessarily have the site be full of yes-men. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

49 minutes ago, RandallT said:

@IrishAndy- ...Speaking strictly for me, I read his statement very plainly, without any intent to insult you. I think that's a fair reading.

Agreed

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
On 9/18/2017 at 4:46 PM, IrishAndy said:

@aasimzkhan simply mentioned that his hands were continuing to drop.  I offered a simple suggestion having struggled with exactly the same thing.  It worked for me.  He thought it was working for him.

Thing is, as @mvmac said, that's working on the result, not the root cause.

On 9/18/2017 at 4:46 PM, IrishAndy said:

You do love the jabs, though.  Don't worry... it's just immaturity and many successfully grow out of it.

Yeah, sorry, but as others said, "I don't know @IrishAndy's qualifications, but I do know @mvmac's" is not a "jab" nor immature. All I know of your qualifications are that you list yourself as a "28?" index.

@aasimzkhan, I again recommend you stick with working on what @mvmac suggested. The result (the hands "dropping") will improve.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 9/18/2017 at 1:46 PM, IrishAndy said:

As I basically said in my posts, his hands drop for a reason, it doesn't "just happen". Figure out why, make improvements and go from there. His takeaway/backswing creates a domino effect of compensations. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 years later...

Gents. Hope everyone is well, hitting fairways and dropping putts.

Im wondering if anyone has a tonic for a particular woe of mine in the backswing, my wrists just collapse and instead of the club being somewhere between my right shoulder and ear, it's closer to my shoulder - super flat. 

Because of this, my ball flight is low and hooking and it's killing me.

Any and all help will be much appreciated!

Stay well.

20 minutes ago, aasimzkhan said:

Gents. Hope everyone is well, hitting fairways and dropping putts.

Im wondering if anyone has a tonic for a particular woe of mine in the backswing, my wrists just collapse and instead of the club being somewhere between my right shoulder and ear, it's closer to my shoulder - super flat. 

https://youtu.be/j-eMQwD57Vo

Because of this, my ball flight is low and hooking and it's killing me.

Any and all help will be much appreciated!

Stay well.

What you have described is hardly the problem.  The problem causing your hooks, ignoring strike because I don't have any ball data, is how underplane you get on the downswing.  You have the Furyk/Moore/Wolff/Leadbetter A swing going on where you're very steep in the backswing and then shallow out coming down.  That's fine; however, you don't get the club on the elbow plane.  Rather, you come far too underneath the plane--you've over done the move.  Judging by the looks of it, you very well may struggle with solid contact because you might have a lot of drop kicks/fat/thin shots.  Also because you're so underneath, the face to path relationship is likely very large, causing massive curvature on the ball.  The face appears to be shut and your path is out to the right--that difference causes the curvature (again, strike aside).  

My suggestion would be to calm down that steep backswing a little.  Just take the club up the elbow plane, shallow a little, but bring the club back down the same elbow plane.  Right now, you've got the loopy swing.  It can certainly work, but you're overdoing it and bringing the club too far underneath with a shut face.  Get the club going back more on plane and bring it down more on plane with a square face.  That will give you better striking and less curvature on the ball.  With the reduction in hook spin, you'll see the ball fly higher as well.

57 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

What you have described is hardly the problem.  The problem causing your hooks, ignoring strike because I don't have any ball data, is how underplane you get on the downswing.  You have the Furyk/Moore/Wolff/Leadbetter A swing going on where you're very steep in the backswing and then shallow out coming down.  That's fine; however, you don't get the club on the elbow plane.  Rather, you come far too underneath the plane--you've over done the move.  Judging by the looks of it, you very well may struggle with solid contact because you might have a lot of drop kicks/fat/thin shots.  Also because you're so underneath, the face to path relationship is likely very large, causing massive curvature on the ball.  The face appears to be shut and your path is out to the right--that difference causes the curvature (again, strike aside).  

My suggestion would be to calm down that steep backswing a little.  Just take the club up the elbow plane, shallow a little, but bring the club back down the same elbow plane.  Right now, you've got the loopy swing.  It can certainly work, but you're overdoing it and bringing the club too far underneath with a shut face.  Get the club going back more on plane and bring it down more on plane with a square face.  That will give you better striking and less curvature on the ball.  With the reduction in hook spin, you'll see the ball fly higher as well.

Thanks so much for your input. I understand I've overdone it, do you have any suggestions on drills I can do? 

I was told today that I should stand next to a wall and make slow deliberate swings making sure the clubhead doesn't hit the wall on the backswing / transition.

13 minutes ago, aasimzkhan said:

Thanks so much for your input. I understand I've overdone it, do you have any suggestions on drills I can do? 

I was told today that I should stand next to a wall and make slow deliberate swings making sure the clubhead doesn't hit the wall on the backswing / transition.

I'm hardly the most qualified person to talk about "how" to do things with respect to the golf swing.  I'm a decent enough issue spotter and can interpret data pretty well.  That caveat aside, maybe check out the planemate training aid--I hear it's quite good and really popular.  Even Rory has been seen using it.

You could also create your own swing plane station with some alignment sticks and swimming pool noodles.  You want to feel the club track back on the elbow plane and then track right back down it.  Get the V1 app and check out the Tour pro swings on there and compare your swing with it.  On the app, you can record your swing and draw lines and compare.  I really like Charley Hoffman's swing as he has a pretty simple looking swing that doesn't appear to have many compensatory movements.  He just swings the club on plane really well.  IMG-4085.thumb.PNG.a22465e583f5956f747ce7fdbdc084f3.PNG

IMG-4087.thumb.PNG.f1b460f331e4d8c53e4ab64f289282f0.PNG

IMG-4088.thumb.PNG.4b8f71c207dc0176bdfddf7153883f9e.PNG

IMG-4089.thumb.PNG.2fec7ae371e59aa3cb8e67beefbe2289.PNG

IMG-4090.thumb.PNG.c5f62380ba1567610b5acb702080f221.PNG

IMG-4092.thumb.PNG.b37ec32f92ccf37a954209aa581ca0a4.PNG

IMG-4093.thumb.PNG.fb55a7842be5a3608e993db0c037f9f5.PNG

IMG-4095.thumb.PNG.c7a253bf0528accc83c104f3ff5a8145.PNG

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I'm hardly the most qualified person to talk about "how" to do things with respect to the golf swing.  I'm a decent enough issue spotter and can interpret data pretty well.  That caveat aside, maybe check out the planemate training aid--I hear it's quite good and really popular.  Even Rory has been seen using it.

You could also create your own swing plane station with some alignment sticks and swimming pool noodles.  You want to feel the club track back on the elbow plane and then track right back down it.  Get the V1 app and check out the Tour pro swings on there and compare your swing with it.  On the app, you can record your swing and draw lines and compare.  I really like Charley Hoffman's swing as he has a pretty simple looking swing that doesn't appear to have many compensatory movements.  He just swings the club on plane really well.  IMG-4085.thumb.PNG.a22465e583f5956f747ce7fdbdc084f3.PNG

IMG-4087.thumb.PNG.f1b460f331e4d8c53e4ab64f289282f0.PNG

IMG-4088.thumb.PNG.4b8f71c207dc0176bdfddf7153883f9e.PNG

IMG-4089.thumb.PNG.2fec7ae371e59aa3cb8e67beefbe2289.PNG

IMG-4090.thumb.PNG.c5f62380ba1567610b5acb702080f221.PNG

IMG-4092.thumb.PNG.b37ec32f92ccf37a954209aa581ca0a4.PNG

IMG-4093.thumb.PNG.fb55a7842be5a3608e993db0c037f9f5.PNG

IMG-4095.thumb.PNG.c7a253bf0528accc83c104f3ff5a8145.PNG

This is great. I'm just wondering how to go about it. When I add a stop at the top, there is no drop and just a bit of shallowing. So maybe that's the drill?

Also, I wanted to ask, that wrist action at the top (bowed like mad) is that okay to live with? 

1 minute ago, aasimzkhan said:

So maybe that's the drill?

If you swing it back on plane, you might not do the drop instinctually.  Right now, you have to drop because otherwise you wouldn't hit the ball.  If you take it back like Hoffman, your body might react appropriately.  Try the stop at top drill if you like; I don't like drills like that though.  Might work for you.  I'd start off small by hitting little punch shots, making sure you can plane the club appropriately, and then gradually increase the swing length back to normal.

5 minutes ago, aasimzkhan said:

Also, I wanted to ask, that wrist action at the top (bowed like mad) is that okay to live with? 

I don't know to what you are referring.  Hoffman isn't bowed and, from the looks of things, you aren't bowed until transition.  But to answer your question generally, it depends on your grip.  If you have a weak grip, then bowing helps square the face relative to that grip.  If you have a stronger grip, then bowing shuts the face--a problem I have.  If you play with a stronger grip, having a bit of "cup" at the top helps keep the face square.

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

If you swing it back on plane, you might not do the drop instinctually.  Right now, you have to drop because otherwise you wouldn't hit the ball.  If you take it back like Hoffman, your body might react appropriately.  Try the stop at top drill if you like; I don't like drills like that though.  Might work for you.  I'd start off small by hitting little punch shots, making sure you can plane the club appropriately, and then gradually increase the swing length back to normal.

I don't know to what you are referring.  Hoffman isn't bowed and, from the looks of things, you aren't bowed until transition.  But to answer your question generally, it depends on your grip.  If you have a weak grip, then bowing helps square the face relative to that grip.  If you have a stronger grip, then bowing shuts the face--a problem I have.  If you play with a stronger grip, having a bit of "cup" at the top helps keep the face square.

Hmm. I need to figure out what to do and stick to that. I wonder if @mvmac can give me a drill or two? 

51 minutes ago, aasimzkhan said:

Hmm. I need to figure out what to do and stick to that. I wonder if @mvmac can give me a drill or two? 

You need continued lessons with a pro, whether online or in-person.  Comments on a forum like this one can point you in the right direction, but ultimately, you need a pro to work with you for best results.

2 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

You need continued lessons with a pro, whether online or in-person.  Comments on a forum like this one can point you in the right direction, but ultimately, you need a pro to work with you for best results.

You know, I tried the online lessons path. Worked with a guy in london, I'm based in Pakistan and there are no certified / trained coaches here. 

The guy told me I needed wrist hinge. I tried that for months and only managed to move the wrist a few inches by the time the club reached parallel on the backswing. 

Note: This thread is 1492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!