IGNORED

Marker Size

iceman777
Note: This thread is 2408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is there any rule regarding what can be used for a marker, or the size of a marker ? I recently played with someone whose marker was the size of a bag tag. I don't like to even use a quarter , thinking its too big and would interfere with the ball's direction, if the ball passed over it . I try to use a dime if I dont have a "traditional" pro shop type marker . Of course , as a senior , its no fun when I cant find that dime on the green  . LOL

• Thumbs Up 1

I am also curious about what criteria a marker has to be. A buddy of mine uses his foot to mark when cleaning his ball.  He steps behind the ball, and I know he's not trying to mess w/ his putt line.  He's a casual player, but is this legal as well?

I think the Rules suggest a small coin but as long as the object allows one to replace the ball in the same spot, anything goes.

I agree that oversized markers, like a poker chip, need to be used sparingly when near the hole.  They are fine when not near anyone's line.

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

You can mark the ball with a log if you want.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If the other persons marker is in your line, is there anything you can do about it or do you just have to putt over it/adjust your line?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

18 minutes ago, klineka said:

If the other persons marker is in your line, is there anything you can do about it or do you just have to putt over it/adjust your line?

You may ask them to move it, typically laterally, as far as you want.  If the other player prefers, she/he may choose to putt out rather than move their mark.

If someone uses a poker chip or other large object (like a log), I might have them move it several "putter heads" left or right.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

I think some markers can get a bit silly, the idea is to use a discreet object just to do the job.  I guess things change with the times.  I like the combined pitch repairers that have a ball marker magnetically attached, although I don't stiff that many greens lol. 

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

If someone uses a poker chip or other large object (like a log), I might have them move it several "putter heads" left or right.

Yea, I would ask them to move left or right of my line maybe 1 or 2 putter heads. 

I do like the poker chips as it allows me to mark the ball, set down my marker and see where my ball would be when I'm looking at the line as other people are hitting/putting.  Just easier to see from a distance if I don't want to be in their field of view.  I do have a smaller one that is attached to my ball mark repair tool if I'm close to somebody's line so as to not distract them quite as much.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Best I ever saw, in a club tournament one Saturday morning. In our group was "that guy". You know the one, any movement on the putting green, regardless of how far away you are or where, distracts him, the bird tweerping in the distance annoys him, you know the guy? 

Well, one of our group gets to the first green and realizes he doesn't have anything to mark his ball with. He is 20ft or so from the hole out of everyone's way, so he reaches in his back pocket and pulls out his iPhone and marks his ball with his iPhone. That guy goes nuts claiming it's a penalty for moving his ball without properly marking, etc. Me and the 4th are loving this. iPhone mark player replaces his ball, and then proceeds to pull up his rules of golf app and ask That Guy to show him where it says he can't mark with something other than a coin. 

Needless to say, while we played the hole in a slightly longer period of time than preferred, I shall never forget that round. That Guy must have spend the entire round calling and digging trying to find a way to disqualify iphone Mark for improper touching his ball. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

I love the idea of asking someone to show you the rule.  I've done it myself, handed them the book, and its a useful way of dealing with things like this.

The way the rules are written, there's no specific requirement for a marker, just a suggestion.  In fact, if you review Decision 20-1/16,(http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-20) you don't even have to use a marker at all.  You can use the toe of a club, or even scratch a line in the surface of the green.  The only requirement is to physically mark the location of the ball, and replace it on that location.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

or even scratch a line in the surface of the green.  The only requirement is to physically mark the location of the ball, and replace it on that location.

Is that true??  I do this often on my casual rounds (simply remember which brownspot/ball mark/etc... my ball was near), but lost a hole in match play once cuz I got called on it and I gave in (I thought the dude was being an ass about it, but at the same time figured myself that wasn't strictly RoG).

1 minute ago, bones75 said:

Is that true?? 

This is why I included a link to the specific decision.  Its always a good idea to look things up for yourself, rather than take my word for this. There are more than enough misunderstandings of the rules spread by one guy listening to another guy, and assuming the other guy knew what he was talking about.  Read it for yourself, and you'll know the truth.  For instance, you'll know that you can't reference an existing mark, you have to mark the location yourself somehow.  I think, from what I remember reading 5 minutes ago.  Check it out, and let us all know.  :-P :beer:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

At the office, we use "LMGTFY" quite a bit. :doh: So begging your pardon @DaveP043! i did find the answer in the link you gave.:dance:

"For example, it is not permissible to mark the position with reference to a blemish on the putting green."

• Like 1

Yes, I'll ask people to move their marks if they're in my line. And I use rather unobtrusive marks. No poker chips or silver dollars! I've seen other guys have putts jump a foot in the air and end up a mile short and way off line when they hit one of these!

Not sure how anyone ever lets somebody else's mark knock their ball off line. I don't care if someone marks with a dime, if its near my line I am having them move it. 

On another note, I have never fully understood the use of those little plastic ball markers with the peg on the bottom you buy in the pro shop. What's wrong with a coin? We have those little plastic ones in our pro shop for $0.25 each and people buy them all the time. Every time someone gives me a dollar for 4 of those things I always want to ask them if they realize I could just give them 4 quarters instead and then after their round they could even use them again to buy something. :doh:

• Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 2408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!