IGNORED

Define The Bad Golfer

Patch
Note: This thread is 2261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree mostly with the golfers who stated that skill level doesn't matter so much. We all play at different levels and as long as we enjoy the game and let others enjoy it, that's being a good golfer.

Being polite and not a total @$$ is much more important.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My take, for someone to "suck" at golf and to be a bad golfer are two different animals.

By definition, most of us a "bad" golfers to some degree. I think the majority of posters here would consider ourselves "bad" golfers. Why do I think I am bad? Easy, BECAUSE I WANT TO BE BETTER. Once I improve a little, I still think I am a bad golfer because I want to be better. I carry an 8.1 index. To a scratch golfer, I am bad (maybe even suck) but to a 20 HI golfer, I am nearly a "pro". So it's relative.

No someone who "sucks" is much different. This person is the person who is a miserable person to be around. I have played with low handicappers who suck at golf.  Excuses, complaints, etc. and to me, that makes you suck at golf.

Be as bad as you want, but don't suck at golf.

• Upvote 1

the one who looks back at me in a mirror.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

3 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Also, its anyone with iron covers, I have never played with any good golfer with iron covers. :-P

Damnit, I just went from decent to bad.  I just started using them this year!

"Bad" is a very variable thing. Take a look at me, for example (no, I am not really that narcissistic..;-)). I had a round of 75 (par 70) and another round at 111 (par 72) about one week apart. I have never had such a huge variance before and I still can't explain what happened... other than I was "badder" (or worse, if you really insist) one day than the other. :whistle:

In all seriousness, bad in my opinion has more to do with attitude than skill. I can't stand to play with a bad golfer, where I don't mind one bit one who shoots in the 100s if they move along, pay attention, have some basic manners and are otherwise pleasant to be around. :beer:

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

8 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Are you, by any chance, running for public office? That's literally the most PC post I have ever seen on this site. :-P

Unfortunately, its also a load of :poo: lots of people suck at golf. I would say a majority of people suck at golf. As a starter at a municipal golf course I am an expert on people sucking at golf, I have seen hundreds of them. ;-) You can still suck at something and have a blast doing it. Golf courses NEED sucky players, if only single digit handicappers were allowed access to golf courses, there would be FAR FEWER golf courses.

NM Golf, you read my mind! I was thinking the exact same thing! I don't mind if you suck at golf, I did at some time in my life. What I mind is if you take all day, in front of me, sucking at it!

I don't know. I was showing improvement, actually shot four pars and two bogies in nine holes earlier this summer, and I was getting fewer and fewer situations where I had no practiced shot in my bag to avoid real damage. But I went out about a month ago, and had regressed so much that I haven't played since. I suspect that the reason is that I played with a really bad player, and if you don't have your game really mastered, that can drag you down. You can just completely lose your focus. Not to mention that I have developed a hook just when I had kind of eased the slice off the stage, It is just extremely discouraging. So me, I am a bad golfer. Kind of a shame, because I used to walk 9 all the time, and I was walking 20 miles a week playing golf, and now the pounds are coming back, so I have to get back out there, but dang it's hard to face the pain of sucking so much after spending years working on my game as best I could.

This guy.

By his own admission.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Wow, great thread. I always thought I was a bad golfer, now reading this thread makes me think.

I am a, for the most part, a double bogey golfer (+/-), not that I don't try, but dang, I do enjoy it.

I don't have allot of time to practice, or play for that matter, so when I do get out I am a happy camper.  I try my best, I laugh a lot, nice to other golfers and the course, try to follow the rules and keep up pace of play.

So I guess there is a lot more to being a good golfer that I just never thought about.

Edited by swffjvl

Cobra Max Irons......Cobra F7 Hybrid..... 

A cheap Wedge and Driver I picked up online....

A bunch of Balls.... and a bag for it all.

1 hour ago, swffjvl said:

Wow, great thread. I always thought I was a bad golfer, now reading this thread makes me think.

I am a, for the most part, a double bogey golfer (+/-), not that I don't try, but dang, I do enjoy it.

I don't have allot of time to practice, or play for that matter, so when I do get out I am a happy camper.  I try my best, I laugh a lot, nice to other golfers and the course, try to follow the rules and keep up pace of play.

So I guess there is a lot more to being a good golfer that I just never thought about.

Sure, I'd totally agree that you're a good golfer.

The "bad golfer" could play at any level, but be really "bad".

For example, he'd be very unpleasant, and insist that you are a good 20 feet away from the tee box every single tee shot. He would take 5 or 6 practice swings while setting up individually for each practice swing for every single shot and insist on taking another shot with the appropriate number of practice swings just to make sure "he got it right at least once" before continuing. When he putts, he examines everything for 3 to 4 minutes and insists that no one else can look while he's checking his "path", and does this 3 times even from within 2 feet before complaining about the "slow" green conditions. He also evokes the general feeling that he owns the entire golf course, and that everyone else is there because he "allows" them play. (I stated "he" because so far I've never met a lady/girl golfer with this personality disorder :-P)

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 9/14/2017 at 2:22 PM, dzclarkcpa said:

Once I improve a little, I still think I am a bad golfer because I want to be better. I carry an 8.1 index. To a scratch golfer, I am bad (maybe even suck) but to a 20 HI golfer, I am nearly a "pro". So it's relative.

Another way to look at it is for you to claim you're bad because you've seen the kind of golf a scratch or pro plays would be like me comparing my game to someone who plays once a year and claiming I'm good.

• Like 1

Jon

• 4 months later...

We all have rounds that we are not proud of. In fact those rounds pretty much suck, and all you want to do is get the last hole over with. It happens to the best of us. If you are having one of those rounds and still break 100 you don.t suck as bad as you think.:-\

As someone said earlier, a bad golfer is someone that can't advance their ball consistently.   when half your shots are chunks or shanks, or seems like their spending half the day in the woods looking for their ball, it just gets a little tedious.   I'm happy to play golf with just about anyone, but you gotta know, if you hit eight balls into the woods or weeds, please don't spend 5 minutes looking for each one.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 9/14/2017 at 8:41 AM, NM Golf said:

its anyone with iron covers, I have never played with any good golfer with iron covers. :-P

so there you have it, I agree totally! :-P

Barbara

www.golfgirl.net 

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:34 PM, David in FL said:

Good golfers are better than me.  Bad golfers are worse than me.

;-) 

Someone else said it is relative. I like both of these. I am a bogey golfer. My handicap was established primarily on a course rated 70.4/123 at 6300. Last year I played mostly on a course rated 68.5/115 form the tees I play. The rating is what it is, but to me it plays a little harder than my handicap course. The 68.5 course is about 6000 from the tees I play; it is 73.4/125 at 7000 from the tips. There are numerous fairways that are 25 yards wide, and you can be dead at 25 off the center. I looked at about 7-8 scorecards and the average was around 87. Generally speaking, I hit the ball in the air, out of my shadow, and in the general direction of the hole 90%+ of the time. I would say that 90% of my drives are playable, if you have a fairly lenient definition of playable, meaning they are not OB, not lost, not in a hazard, and don't require a punch out. I play at a decent pace, and can keep up with most players; I won't hold up anyone at 5 up. A 5 would not consider me a "good" golfer; a 20+ would think I am pretty spiffy. I don't consider myself "good", but I don't really consider myself "bad"-just needing improvement :)

In terms of "regular folks" neither average golfers nor elite amateurs, I consider anyone below a 10 to be a "good" golfer and 10-15 as competent but improving (again relatively speaking).  Someone in this range can play with most without slowing them down. In a scramble, a few to several of their shots would be used. I would say someone is bad if they cannot break 108 (double bogey). A lot of ground balls,and the ones that make it off the ground lack distance or direction. Chipping often involves some back and forth across the green. A lot of 3 putts.

I am talking purely about skill at a task here. I have played and continue to play with nice people at all skill levels and enjoy every minute of it.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, NM Golf said:

A bad golfer is anyone who cannot consistently advance the ball around the course. I can play with anyone, but when it takes someone 3-4 shots just to get to my drive and then 3-4 more to get to the green, I get somewhat impatient. Also, its anyone with iron covers, I have never played with any good golfer with iron covers. :-P

I made a post about this once. I had kept head covers on two successive sets of irons, and swore I would not on the next set. Guess what!!! Well, at least I don't cover my specialty wedges now. And I take the driver cover off at the beginning of the round. But then, I am not a "good" golfer.

Edited by dbuck

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 2261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!