IGNORED

LPGA major Evian shortened to 54 Holes

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would suggest, watching the last round of the 2017 Evian tournament on youtube. There was wind, rain and sleet.

Brian   

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, bste said:

I would suggest, watching the last round of the 2017 Evian tournament on youtube. There was wind, rain and sleet.

Yes, I did. Again, it's a 442yd hole downhill. Wind, rain and sleet certainly make for a difficult round. But there isn't anything that stands out about that hole for a PGA tour player.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

All good. But being that's actually the topic, I'm still pretty surprised they just wiped the scores for Thursday AND made it 54 holes. Especially at a major. Speaks volumes about credibility (or lack thereof)  the LPGA or at least the Evian as a 5th major. But like has been said, it's a business.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 hours ago, iacas said:

The comment wasn't made about high handicappers, @JonMA1. It was made about PGA Tour players.

I responded initially to David's comment about hitting an approach shot with what I thought would require a fairway wood to a difficult green and being confident in the outcome. What you've quoted was a response and disagreement to Kevin's comment suggesting that hole would not be difficult for higher handicappers. I'll resist replying to @Vinsk's post directly below yours.

My apologies for taking this thread off-topic.

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

suggesting that hole would not be difficult for higher handicappers

Any hole can be difficult for high handicappers. But from the original comment, NO WAY is this hole difficult for the men on the PGA tour. Be it  Rain, sleet, wind...not a 442yd down hill. Nope. A 240 yd drive leaves 202. Is that unusually hard for a high handicapper? I don't think a lot of high handicappers would need a 3W for a 200yd shot. And with that huge safe landing area short left, hitting the green isn't even an absolute necessity to make par.

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Any hole can be difficult for high handicappers. But from the original comment, NO WAY is this hole difficult for the men on the PGA tour. Be it  Rain, sleet, wind...not a 442yd down hill. Nope. A 240 yd drive leaves 202. Is that unusually hard for a high handicapper? I don't think a lot of high handicappers would need a 3W for a 200yd shot. And with that huge safe landing area short left, hitting the green isn't even an absolute necessity to make par.

I apologized for letting this discussion go off topic so I'll be brief.

We simply disagree on the abilities of a typical high capper, or perhaps  on our definition of a high capper. I have personal game golf data to back up my opinion and would be happy to share that in another thread. Perhaps we could create a poll to gauge: 

1. What our 200 yd club is.

2. How confident we are using that club for approach shots to tight greens.

If I'm wrong I'll gladly admit it (wouldn't be the first time).

Jon

• Administrator

Why does anyone give a hoot about what a high handicapper would hit on this hole? Enough.

:offtopic:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Im assuming that hole played way longer because it was water logged, but some of the ladies i watched were having 210-220 into that hole. Thats brutal. Based on how far i am off the tee, i probably would have had 170-180 on that hole to a very tough pin. Still ouch. 

Yeah, I didn't see many shots reach the back tier of the green. I'm curious what the scoring average was on it, I was seeing more 5s and 6s than 4s.

Is there any precedent for just cancelling a partially played round like that? I know it's not all that unusual for tournaments to be shortened to 54 holes, but I have no idea if it's really unusual to cancel out a round that had started like that.

13 minutes ago, BaconNEggs said:

Yeah, I didn't see many shots reach the back tier of the green. I'm curious what the scoring average was on it, I was seeing more 5s and 6s than 4s.

I didn't find a stat sheet. But I went down the list of the top 15 players (details) and I certainly saw more 4's and some 3's than anything. Some 5's but don't recall that many 6's if any.

Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!