IGNORED

8 Shot Penalty for Ben Crane, Sabbatini Disqualified

Vinsk

8 hours ago, NM Golf said:

And that little tidbit ends the discussion, I mean how are you going to argue with that?

NEXT!

Lol. Yes ...hell that's how the rule should be written! Sums it up nice and tight.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 years later...

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• iacas changed the title to 8 Shot Penalty for Ben Crane?
2 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

I saw this earlier. The golf twitterverse was going crazy talking about how stuck up and stupid of a rule this is, even going as far as things like "this is why we need a new pro tour".

I think that it is absurd that someone could break the rules and then everyone wants to give them a break.

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

8 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I saw this earlier. The golf twitterverse was going crazy talking about how stuck up and stupid of a rule this is, even going as far as things like "this is why we need a new pro tour".

I think that it is absurd that someone could break the rules and then everyone wants to give them a break.

I agree with this. I’m just a little on the fence as to why those stickers are deemed as something that effects the ball flight. Seems contradicting that as accurate and precise as these PGA Tour players are they’d use something to report their ball flight that in fact effects their ball flight.😃

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m just a little on the fence as to why those stickers are deemed as something that effects the ball flight.

OMG. You know better than that.

It's not about whether THOSE specific stickers affect the ball flight, it's about whether any kind of sticker that you'd put on the clubface could affect the flight. Or vaseline/chapstick. Etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

OMG. You know better than that.

It's not about whether THOSE specific stickers affect the ball flight, it's about whether any kind of sticker that you'd put on the clubface could affect the flight. Or vaseline/chapstick. Etc.

He didn’t put Vaseline or chapstick, which has proven to significantly effect the ball flight. And that would certainly show intent to effect the ball flight. I’m asking why a pro would use something to analyze his ball flight if the very item used gives them inaccurate information due to effecting the ball flight? Why is a sharpie marker ok but a reflective sticker not? That’s my point. 

53 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

He didn’t put Vaseline or chapstick, which has proven to significantly effect the ball flight. And that would certainly show intent to effect the ball flight. I’m asking why a pro would use something to analyze his ball flight if the very item used gives them inaccurate information due to effecting the ball flight? Why is a sharpie marker ok but a reflective sticker not? That’s my point. 

They have to draw a line. The line is nothing can be applied to the face. Otherwise it would be a gray area issue. Rule 4.1. A sharpie is not ok during competition.

By applying any substance to the clubhead (other than in cleaning it) to affect how it performs in making a stroke.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

They have to draw a line. The line is nothing can be applied to the face. Otherwise it would be a gray area issue. 

Gotcha. I thought a sharpie mark wasn’t deemed as a penalty. 

Shit, I have four GC Quad dots on my 7-iron, and single dots on my driver and hybrid. I usually just leave them on after a lesson (sometimes they are still on at the next lesson). I've been playing with non-conforming clubs :doh:

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

11 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Yupp, IMO golf played by the rules does not seem to be for 'everyone'. 

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

They have to draw a line. The line is nothing can be applied to the face. Otherwise it would be a gray area issue. Rule 4.1. A sharpie is not ok during competition.

I read 4.1.A to only be applicable to a change to the clubface that is made "during the round".  Here the stickers were on prior to the round starting.  What am I missing?

John

8 minutes ago, SG11118 said:

I read 4.1.A to only be applicable to a change to the clubface that is made "during the round".  Here the stickers were on prior to the round starting.  What am I missing?

I think you have to look at the equipment rules, which is a separate document from the rules of golf. Others with more knowledge can clarify.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 hour ago, SG11118 said:

I misread Boogielicious post as 4.1.A and was looking in the section dealing with changing a club during a round when Boogie really said 4.1 with A being part of the next sentence.

I guess this is the applicable stipulation.  The clubface with stickers must make the driver fall out of compliance with the equipment rules:

• A club used to make a stroke must conform not only when the club is new, but also when it has been deliberately or accidentally changed in any way.

John

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I agree with this. I’m just a little on the fence as to why those stickers are deemed as something that effects the ball flight. Seems contradicting that as accurate and precise as these PGA Tour players are they’d use something to report their ball flight that in fact effects their ball flight.😃

It affects the ball flight, it doesn't effect it. 😇

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Vinsk said:

He didn’t put Vaseline or chapstick, which has proven to significantly effect the ball flight. And that would certainly show intent to effect the ball flight.

Re-read what I wrote.

Can you imagine any situation where putting a sticker anywhere on the clubface could result in a change to the performance?

Yes.

Hence, they're all forbidden.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Rory Sabbatini was recently DQ'd for having Foresight sports stickers on his club face.

RorySabbatiniRules.jpg

Some golf rules violations make plenty of sense, but others leave you shaking your head — as with Rory Sabbatini's DQ at the RSM Classic.

The scary thing is the editor of a golf magazine doesn't understand the rules and wonders why stickers lead to a DQ.  That is what I can't wrap my head around.  Just how ignorant of the rules do you have to be to not know that stickers and vaseline for example on a club face make it non conforming.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• iacas changed the title to 8 Shot Penalty for Ben Crane, Sabbatini Disqualified
  • Administrator
10 hours ago, iacas said:

Re-read what I wrote.

Can you imagine any situation where putting a sticker anywhere on the clubface could result in a change to the performance?

Yes.

Hence, they're all forbidden.

Actually @Vinsk I see you still haven’t learned. 🙂

Even on page one you got the same answers and provided the same weak arguments. 😄

You’re a doctor. Certainly you know that the rules are not always about what each specific single individual situation “feels“ like.