• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
RickPro

Tournament prep, 1 week

I have a tournament in a week, what do you guys do to prep the week before a big tournament?

What do you each and everyday leading up to the tournament?

What should I focus on, what should I practice?

Go to the range more, play more rounds of golf, mix both, massage, rest, workout, play alternative sport, etc...?

Thanks for your help, looking at things I can do to maximise my chances of winning he tournament. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We wrote about this in LSW. You should pick up a copy.

Basically…

• Develop a shot shape that's reliable.
  • Figure out what feels work with your driver to help with the first bullet point in particular.
  • Work on your short game and putting.
  • Scout out the course.

7 hours ago, RickPro said:

I have a tournament in a week, what do you guys do to prep the week before a big tournament?

Go to the range more, play more rounds of golf, mix both, massage, rest, workout, play alternative sport, etc...?

Thanks for your help, looking at things I can do to maximise my chances of winning he tournament. 

In addition to iacas, don't over-think every step or every day.  Some people burn themselves out before the tournament even happens.  Make sure you are still out to have fun.

8 hours ago, iacas said:

We wrote about this in LSW. You should pick up a copy.

Basically…

• Develop a shot shape that's reliable.
  • Figure out what feels work with your driver to help with the first bullet point in particular.
  • Work on your short game and putting.
  • Scout out the course.

LSW? I would like a copy, thank you.

One tip: Don't overdo practice the day before the first round. You want to be fresh on tee No. 1.

On September 17, 2017 at 7:17 AM, RickPro said:

I do a mix of all those things. Except massage..they hurt..

When i was younger i used to be all into super prep and trying to map out the course i was going to be playing to the shot. Then in the tournament i dont hit the shots anywhere near i planned out anyway... I played better once i stopped doing that because i felt i was free to just play the shot in front of me, instead of being frustrated that my round wasn't following some script i made up. I think its important to have good survey of the property where you're playing and have a general plan of attack that fits your game, but dont overdo it. 

As far a scoring goes, bogeys don't kill you. Doubles or more do. Bogey should always be your in mindset after a miserable shot, and if you get par or better in the process - bonus!  Trying to play hero recovery shots most often leads to big numbers. Take whats in front of you, even though it may taste like weaksause sometimes. 

But I would say overall, focus and self confidence is the biggest weapon you're going to have. Know that you belong and feeling like you're the best player there. If you dont win, its because you let someone else win, not because you're not the best. B-)

Dont worry about what your playing partners are doing. They are not putting the ball in the hole for you. Play your game to the best you got and you'll be fine. Enjoy yourself. Theres no better rush in golf than competition. Its a reward in itself.