IGNORED

Was this Poor Etiquette?

DeadMan
Note: This thread is 2284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was conceding the putt poor etiquette?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Was conceding the putt poor etiquette?

Okay, something that's been bothering me a bit, and I wanted to get others' opinions on it.

Here's the situation - it's a four ball match (i.e., team match play, you take the best score of your team). My team's 4 is already conceded. The other team has a player who is putting for a 5, and the other player is putting for a 3. The player putting for a 5 is furthest away, close to the same line as the player putting for a 3. Because I know the player putting for a 3 wants to see this putt to get help for his line, I concede the 5. The player putting for a 3 is annoyed by this and says "**** you" to me. It's not relevant, but he missed the putt for a 3, but made a 4 so we halved the hole.

Ignore his reaction, because it was mostly joking (and a little ridiculous, too, obviously). I was talking about this after the round with my wife, who said what I did was a little over top and overly competitive given the situation. It's a competitive Ryder Cup-style event, but it's mostly a friendly end of the year event. My wife is a golfer, for what it's worth.

I really didn't think too much of it at the time - this guy has a bit of a foul mouth, and it's usually directed at himself. But now I'm questioning if I was a little too over the top here. Curious to see what other's thoughts are.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't hesitate to do something like that in the Newport Cup, but that's probably more competitive than this is. I really think this is just good strategy and nothing more, although I can see how it is over the top if there's nothing on the line.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Decision 2-4/6 Putting Out After Concession of Stroke

Rule 2-4 does not cover the question of whether a player may putt out after his next stroke has been conceded. A player incurs no penalty for holing out in such circumstances. However, if the act would be of assistance to a partner in a four-ball or best-ball match, the partner is, in equity (Rule 1-4), disqualified for the hole.

I was wrong see above rule. I originally posted they did nothing wrong but I stand corrected. You learn something new everyday!

Edited by NM Golf
Wrong info
  • Informative 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Hmm....I wouldn't drop an "eff you" unless I was VERY good friends....that's not nice.

But yeah, he can still putt it even if you've conceded the putt

Colin P.

13 minutes ago, colin007 said:

But yeah, he can still putt it even if you've conceded the putt

Not in this situation. He could only do it after his partner putted.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

I'd be fine with it if it happened to me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This is completely appropriate  in a 4 ball match. I do the same thing routinely, and I expect my opponents to do the same thing. I'm surprised if I'm allowed to hit a meaningless putt that could help my partner.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Glad to see there's a rule on this, that I agree with. I would have done the exact same thing.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This is completely appropriate  in a 4 ball match. I do the same thing routinely, and I expect my opponents to do the same thing. I'm surprised if I'm allowed to hit a meaningless putt that could help my partner.

I think maybe the only real issue is that my concession came a little late. He was starting to line up his putt when I had my "eureka" moment. He wasn't over the ball or anything, but he had spent 15-30 seconds getting ready to putt. I bet if I had conceded it earlier (like when he was walking up to the green), it wouldn't have been an issue at all.

-- Daniel

I don't see an issue with it.  Even in a friendly event, you're there (in part) to win -- and strategic concessions are part of any match play situation.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I should add that I would have conceded the putt for 5 anyway since you were already in with 4.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
2 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I was wrong see above rule. I originally posted they did nothing wrong but I stand corrected. You learn something new everyday!

You can change your vote.

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Yep.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Seems to have been played correctly, even the timing isn't a problem, and if it rattled the guy putting for birdie, so much the better.  And forget correctly or by the rules, it was executed masterfully (even if the timing bit was accidental - they don't need to know that).

(though the competitor's response is just another reason I don't like to compete or bet - though it's HIS problem if he was rattled, that's on him - always.  Composure is supposed to be a part of the game)

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I completely rescind my answer.  You were obviously wrong and rude to do what you did.  For the rest of the year (or at least until October 22) you should always allow your opponents to attempt meaningless putts that could help a partner to make a putt to win a hole from you.  And in much the same way my parents taught me, I feel completely free to disregard my own guidance.  :beer::-P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

22 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I completely rescind my answer.  You were obviously wrong and rude to do what you did.  For the rest of the year (or at least until October 22) you should always allow your opponents to attempt meaningless putts that could help a partner to make a putt to win a hole from you.  And in much the same way my parents taught me, I feel completely free to disregard my own guidance.  :beer::-P

Nice try.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

3 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Nice try.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised I didn't get a PM from our team leader hassling me for giving you the right answer the first time.  But I'm sure you've played enough golf to know that what you did was fine, and I've played enough to know never to get upset with an opponent.  

Dave

14 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

To be honest, I'm a little surprised I didn't get a PM from our team leader hassling me for giving you the right answer the first time.  But I'm sure you've played enough golf to know that what you did was fine, and I've played enough to know never to get upset with an opponent.  

He even replied to the thread agreeing with you! This was a prime opportunity to sow doubt among your opponent. You both are slipping! :-D

-- Daniel

Note: This thread is 2284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!