DeadMan

Was this Poor Etiquette?

Was conceding the putt poor etiquette?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Was conceding the putt poor etiquette?

22 posts in this topic Last Reply

Not only appropriate but the right thing to do. Why would you let them gain an advantage?

I also don't buy the "it wasn't that competitive angle". So both sides didn't care who won? You are playing for something, maybe not money or fame or much of anything other than pride but you played which means it meant something. Otherwise why even play. Just call it a tie and go to the bar. Or just play golf and don't worry about who won. Somebody won, which means you should play by some rules. Those competitive rules would not have you giving your opponent an advantage. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I can understand that guys frustration over your concession. That is no reason for that kind of response. He was over the top a little bit.:mellow:

I would say it's gamemanship.

FWIW.... I don't like profanity on the golf course...... even among good friends....that's just me, tho

Totally appropriate to concede the putt.  I do think it would be a little crappy to make a guy go through his pre-shot routine, line it up, take his stance, and then concede it.  I would have probably apologized for the late concession and explained that my brain works slowly most times. 

It does raise a question for me:  When is the last moment a shot can no longer be conceded?  Obviously, if you concede just as he takes his putter back, he shouldn't breach the rules but completing the putt.   On the other hand, he reads the putt, places his ball, and starts to approach the ball -- if you concede at that point, he can't complete the putt without it being improper assistance.  Where in between those is the line? 

Edited by tdiii

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2018 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
    • My buddy gave me a brand new bag since I was looking for one. He won it at a tournament but was sitting in his shed for years. It has a little stink to it like mice might of got into it. What’s the best way to clean a bag like that. Would I be able to sprinkle dawn dish soap all on it and soak it with the hose then let dry. Has anyone had to clean a bag like that. 
    • Yes but consist behavior keeps bringing it back. The twitter rages, etc. Like I said, everyone has a different way of dealing with things. I may not agree with some either but if they are not abusing anyone or breaking stuff I am indifferent.   I don't mind his intensity here but appreciate it.   Everyone has adversity but it never seems like he is absent of the chip on his shoulder. He acts like anyone watching him or taking his picture when he is playing bad is against him. If he let his performance speak for him, he would be better appreciated. He often just comes off hateful.
    • @Tommy_Boy14 From what I can gather, it's essentially a thicker sole and top-side look at address, the set-up of the club then would be more to do with high launch, low spin and less workability than a tradional long iron. Totally open to correction on all of this of course, just 'off the top-of-head' thoughts.
    • Disclaimer: lengthy post ahead... I'm a lefty who struggles with slice, especially on driver. So much so that my last round the driver only made it out of the bag on holes 1 & 18 (with dismal results) and I had more success driving straight on more drives with a 3 wood out to about 215 yds. It was so bad that I'd considered giving up the game before I've even gotten started good. I'm aware that most slice stems from having an open clubface at impact, so this morning I made it a personal mission to fix this issue at any cost. What I settled on was a combination of a stronger grip position (I was gripping with the "V" shape in my hand pointed at the wrong shoulder, which was giving me little to no stability through the backswing) and positioning my hands farther forward of the ball. Now I've seen a LOT of instructional videos that say this is a terrible thing when hitting driver. It's more of an iron/wedge position. However, ball placement remains just inside my forward foot, as with all driver shots. The first thing I notice is that at address, my clubface is perfectly square to the ball/target line. With this combo of ball placement/grip/hand positioning the difference in my ball flight is night and day. I started by hitting plastic practice balls because they do give a pretty accurate depiction of flight without the distance.      The balls were flying so straight that I got a couple of sleeves of my Laddies out and gave it a go (empty farm land adjacent to my lot that I have permission to hit on.) I didn't have a lot of time this morning to drill, but every one of the 6 balls flew straight, with one even having a slight draw! I was ecstatic because prior I've never been able to hit consecutive straight drives. Ever. I'm just wondering if hands forward on driver is so bad, then why is it the only position that I'm able to hit good shots? Just curious if anyone can answer this? On another note, I'm skipping my round this weekend for a much needed range session to test my driver swing again, and to tune up with my iron play.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. ghphjuriya
      ghphjuriya
      (26 years old)
    2. GolfGuy1980
      GolfGuy1980
      (38 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...