IGNORED

Standing Behind on Extension of the Line of Fellow Competitor's Putt

iacas
Note: This thread is 1343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Getting a "Read" from a Fellow Competitor's Putt along a Similar Line  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more distracting for a ten-foot putt?

• A fellow competitor standing 30' behind the ball on an extension of your line of putt.
    • A fellow competitor standing 10' behind the ball and 3' to the side of an extension of your line of putt and jumping in when you hit the putt.

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

And nobody's pointed out that they didn't realize this was legal, and that they thought it was illegal for a fellow competitor to stand there.

I never thought it was illegal for the fellow competitor to do so. I can see were some people would get upset though. I tend to think it is more of a comfort issue versus a rule issue. I never heard one person exclaim that it is against the rules.

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

I wonder if you're all picturing 25 or 30' as farther away than it is, or something.

That might be true. I still think I would be bothered more (if at all) with someone 10 FT and off to the side versus 30' directly behind my target line.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Maybe no one mentioned it because either doesn't occur or it just isn't a big deal.

Maybe. If you can get a read within the rules and etiquette I say do it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Maybe. If you can get a read within the rules and etiquette I say do it.

Ok, I understand now. I didn't realize it was within etiquette - sorry.

Some of us who are less experienced learn etiquette through watching the pros on tv. Maybe we err on the side of being too polite at times instead of learning the rules and taking advantage of them when we can.

Jon

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Because it's a bigger issue generally speaking than people here have indicated. Now, we surely have a higher educated brand of golfer here, but still… I'm surprised.

Perhaps you give us too much credit?!;-) 

How about this - While I do follow the etiquette rule of not standing along the extension of the line of putt, I will almost always try to find the opportunity to assess the line of an opponents putt (when it's similar to my own) prior to them striking it. Given the chance, I'll even squat behind it and give it a good look, and then closely watch the roll from the side. I've never been called out for it, but am I following acceptable etiquette when doing this?

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm surprised as hell - honestly - that not one person has mentioned that it's annoying when someone watches you putt from the extension of your line of putt behind your ball. And nobody's pointed out that they didn't realize this was legal, and that they thought it was illegal for a fellow competitor to stand there.

I wonder if you're all picturing 25 or 30' as farther away than it is, or something.

Because it's a bigger issue generally speaking than people here have indicated. Now, we surely have a higher educated brand of golfer here, but still… I'm surprised.

I think so, but even if someone is standing like 10 feet behind which is really close it doesn't change how I'd putt.   However, everyone I know seems to automatically not stand in a line of putt, anywhere on it. I had no idea if it's an actual rule or not about being just behind during stroke play while in match or casual play that it's okay? But it just seems like the right thing to not do. I'll look it up now anyway. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Virtually nothing distracts me on the course. That gets me in trouble occasion, however. I forget that other people can, and do, get distracted, and I find myself doing somehting I shouldn't be doing while they're hitting (generally on the tee). 

That being said, I could not care any less where they stand, as long as it isn't between me and the hole. ;) 

I'm not easily distracted and don't really care what people are doing while I am putting, but if I did I would prefer they be 30' back.  I don't understand people who get distracted by where people are standing, but I respect it and do my best not to let my lack of concern for these things effect them.  

I was once standing around 20' or so behind someone who was lining up to a putt.  He took a few practice strokes and then stopped and angrily waved me to move.  (I didn't know him at all).  I don't see how I could have been in his line of site, but I said a simple "I'm sorry" and stayed far away from him any time it was his turn going forward.

Edited by Antneye

I don't think I've ever in my life been distracted by where someone was standing on the putting green.  I don't even have any distinct memories of knowing where anyone was standing while I was putting.

I would probably object to someone waving their hand between my face and ball or peeing on my foot or something.

• Like 1

I guess I am in the minority. I do not like anybody in the line even if 30 feet. Not that I like folks crowding me at close range but I guess lesser of evils if they are 3 feet by the side. Not a huge deal but I guess my peripheral vision must include a larger area than most.. ha ha.

(OT: Getting crowded on tee box even if not standing in line bugs me infinitely more) 

Vishal S.

5 hours ago, GolfLug said:

I guess I am in the minority. I do not like anybody in the line even if 30 feet. Not that I like folks crowding me at close range but I guess lesser of evils if they are 3 feet by the side. Not a huge deal but I guess my peripheral vision must include a larger area than most.. ha ha.

(OT: Getting crowded on tee box even if not standing in line bugs me infinitely more) 

You're possibly not necessarily in the general minority, just ones answering here.

I don't actually know anyone who willfully does it to distract their opponents, and haven't seen anyone be on the pricing line before.

It seems like since a potential rules violation  under specific conditions is involved here that it could be potentially more aggravating? Since it's mostly unprovable unless others notice as well?

Seems like the more competitive someone is at golf the more "annoyed" they can get? For me, win-lose-draw doesn't matter to me so much, but I don't bet $100 a skin either...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Whiner said:

Watch the pros and tom ams.  

If the putt is from 6-12 they are at either 9 or 3.  Occasionally close enough to sneak in if they can get a read.

Thing is, that's a lousy spot to get a read.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 9/19/2017 at 6:06 AM, iacas said:

I'm surprised as hell - honestly - that not one person has mentioned that it's annoying when someone watches you putt from the extension of your line of putt behind your ball. And nobody's pointed out that they didn't realize this was legal, and that they thought it was illegal for a fellow competitor to stand there.

I am indeed surprised that it's legal to stand 30' away in the line of putt. How far does the rule apply to one's side, and therefore how far would proper etiquette mandate an opponent to stand? In other words, how far does the line of putt go behind the player?

Also, how far behind the hole? I know for the purpose of stepping on the grass behind the hole, 3' is probably adequate but how far can one be behind the hole on the line of putt? I don't like seeing anyone there either, and because I take multiple looks at the target (roughly the hole, but not necessarily), it's probably more impactful than standing behind the ball, at equivalent distance...

Personally, I think 30' is fine, maybe even 20 to 25' but don't move and don't say anything! If I notice the feet in my peripheral vision, I will be annoyed as well. As for the guy jumping in, I don't mind if it's done after my follow-through, not just the impact point.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

• Administrator
2 hours ago, sjduffers said:

I am indeed surprised that it's legal to stand 30' away in the line of putt.

To be clear, the "Line of Putt":

• Does not extend beyond the hole.
  • Does not extend behind the golf ball.
  • Does extend a little bit to each side of the line.

How far does the rule apply to one's side, and therefore how far would proper etiquette mandate an opponent to stand? In other words, how far does the line of putt go behind the player?

It does not. But look up rule 14-2b.

b. Positioning of Caddie or Partner Behind Ball 

A player must not make a stroke with his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie positioned on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball. 

Exception: There is no penalty if the player's caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie is inadvertently located on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.

The rule just stops someone on that side (the caddie, partner, or partner's caddie) from being there. Just like how caddies have to move out before Paula Creamer hits a tee shot… or whatever.

Also, how far behind the hole? I know for the purpose of stepping on the grass behind the hole, 3' is probably adequate but how far can one be behind the hole on the line of putt? I don't like seeing anyone there either, and because I take multiple looks at the target (roughly the hole, but not necessarily), it's probably more impactful than standing behind the ball, at equivalent distance...

If the player can see you, you're breaching etiquette, because you're in their field of view.

Personally, I think 30' is fine, maybe even 20 to 25' but don't move and don't say anything! If I notice the feet in my peripheral vision, I will be annoyed as well. As for the guy jumping in, I don't mind if it's done after my follow-through, not just the impact point.

He's more likely, though, to jump the gun a little than a guy planning on standing still.

20 hours ago, iacas said:

To be clear, the "Line of Putt":

• Does not extend beyond the hole.
  • Does not extend behind the golf ball.
  • Does extend a little bit to each side of the line.

It does not. But look up rule 14-2b.

The rule just stops someone on that side (the caddie, partner, or partner's caddie) from being there. Just like how caddies have to move out before Paula Creamer hits a tee shot… or whatever.

If the player can see you, you're breaching etiquette, because you're in their field of view.

He's more likely, though, to jump the gun a little than a guy planning on standing still.

i think this is germane to the thread: 

the two kids in Red are on the same team. is Rule 14-2b violated here? 

LINK

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Elrey Desol said:

the two kids in Red are on the same team. is Rule 14-2b violated here? 

LINK

Yes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!