• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
golfdu

Neck and eyes position at P8/A8?

I've been looking at my swing in caddie view, especially P8/A8 (the shaft is parallel to the ground in the follow-through) and I noticed that my neck and eyes are still pointing in the direction of where the ball was at address until after P9/A9. I think this is a really bad move for me as I am left handed and left eye dominant, meaning that my dominant eye isn't really seeing the ball after impact, and I am not extending or raising my head from P7/A7 to P9/A9.

Annika Sorenstam (who is right handed and right eye dominant) does the opposite move, at P8/A8 her eyes and neck are in the direction of the clubhead from a head swivel move in the downswing. Jim Furyk and David Duval do the same thing that she does and all 3 players shot sub 60 rounds... Could this be a magic move?

Depends if it actually causes an issue. You have golfers who keep their eyes looking at were the ball was longer than others, and you have golfers like Annika that start looking forward before they even hit the ball.

I am not sure it is related to eye dominance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have seen instructors give the head looking forward advice to golfers like me who hang back. It can help get the weight forward. In looking at your swing thread I don't think you need to worry much about this. You get plenty forward and don't hang back much. I agree with @saevel25 that it isn't dominance related.

There's no one commonality here Frankie. If letting your head/neck rotate through more will help your chest/torso rotate through more, go for it.

02.jpg

Your example of Justin Rose and Grant Waite shows how their dominant eye affects their neck tilts. Golfers with their dominant eye the same as their playing hand (David Duval and Annika Sorenstam are right eye dominant golfers) tend to have their neck tilts moving toward the target more quickly than golfers whose dominant eye are opposite from their playing hand (Justin Rose is left eye dominant and I bet Grant is, too) who stay at the ball until their lead shoulder brings it up after P8/A8. But I can't figure out how this can apply to my swing and improve it, as I am left eye dominant and play left-handed but my playing hand isn't my dominant hand, I am actually right-handed in everything except swinging a golf club or baseball bat. I do what Grant and Justin does but I hit crap shots, I wonder if I'm supposed to move similar to Annika and David instead because of my eye dominance being the same as my playing hand. 

But wait, Jim Furyk is left eye dominant... Crap, can't find any answers in this game.

2 hours ago, golfdu said:

But wait, Jim Furyk is left eye dominant... Crap, can't find any answers in this game.

You're overthinking things. Don't worry about the eye dominance thing.

12 hours ago, billchao said:

You're overthinking things. Don't worry about the eye dominance thing.

This.

There's not really a pattern there. Shit's moving so fast at that point that you're not really seeing anything anyway.