IGNORED

Joining A "No Match" league

iceman777
Note: This thread is 2352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

17 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Are you challenging me on my statement? Want to make a wager? 

This is one thread. Even if only 1/4 of the 800 posts stated there was cheating, that's "hundreds". Now consider all the threads over the last 20 years on this site regarding sandbaggers, league play, outright cheaters and those accusing others of outright cheating just because they're sore losers. C'mon man.

That's a pretty weak example. I was thinking posts along the line of how awful people acted during tournaments etc. 

The majority of people aren't like this, but there are enough. If you've avoided it, good for you. I've been in three golf competitions and I'm batting 1.000 with shitty attitudes. The first was subbing for a league when an opponent accused me of cheating - until his partner quickly confirmed the score on the hole was legit. The second was a simple game of bingo, bango, bongo (or whatever). I won a few lousy quarters and the one of the guys got pissy. QUARTERS!! And he was the one who wanted to compete, Lol. The third, wasn't even a competition until two of the four started talking a little smack. (I have to admit, it was fun beating them).

Like I said I have played in hundreds of tournaments and I have no memory of dealing with anyone with a shitty attitude. All I can day in your case is there is one common denominator, and it's you. Perhaps you are the problem? My grandfather used to have a saying, if you think everyone around you is an a$$hole, the real a$$hole is you.

I've always been amused by folks who believe competitive sports teaches life lessons. Life teaches life lessons. I've won and lost sports championships. You know what? Neither taught me anything about life. It's just sports.

Thats you, athletics taught me a great deal (and paid for my college education). You very obviously have a chip on your shoulder about competition since every time you play against someone you end up in a fight.

You can't understand how people can enjoy this game without competing. I can't understand why it matters to you. Golf means different things to different folks. Maybe the fact that others are enjoying the game for whatever reason should be good enough?

You're right I don't understand why people would want to take a sport, which is inherently competitive, and try and make it non competitive. Never have never will. Life is competitive.

That being said it sure doesn't bother me nor do I care what someone else does. If you want to chase your ball around for exercise good for you, at least you're out on the course. You can always do like Ty Webb and measure yourself against other golfers by height. ;-)

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

All I can day in your case is there is one common denominator, and it's you. Perhaps you are the problem? My grandfather used to have a saying, if you think everyone around you is an a$$hole, the real a$$hole is you.

You’re probably right, I probably am an asshole, but I’ve yet to call anyone names on this forum.

And no, it doesn’t bother me that you think I am. It’s just a golf forum on the internet.:beer:

• Like 1

Jon

• Administrator

What the hell Danny? Chill the hell out. No need at all to take it to that level.

You have your experiences, he has his. There are probably hundreds of posts - in over 13 years here on TST - of players in competitions behaving badly. Sometimes it does bring out the worst in people. Your experiences are not the authoritative reference here.

That's the text of the warning you received, too, @NM Golf.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sorry sorry, took it a little too far. 

• Upvote 1

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

27 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Thats you, athletics taught me a great deal (and paid for my college education). You very obviously have a chip on your shoulder about competition since every time you play against someone you end up in a fight.

You're right I don't understand why people would want to take a sport, which is inherently competitive, and try and make it non competitive. Never have never will. Life is competitive.

That being said it sure doesn't bother me nor do I care what someone else does. If you want to chase your ball around for exercise good for you, at least you're out on the course. You can always do like Ty Webb and measure yourself against other golfers by height. ;-)

Paying for my own education with my own money taught me a great deal. Not everything in life is a competition sport. One day someone will have you over a barrel and you'll need help, and then you'll change your tune.

@NM Golf  Why are you even here, on this 'site, haggling with people who shoot in the 90's? Most people here don't work in golf. They play for fun and they are entitled to their own opinion(s). 

2 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

Paying for my own education with my own money taught me a great deal. Not everything in life is a competition sport. One day someone will have you over a barrel and you'll need help, and then you'll change your tune.

Not sure how that will work?

3 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

@NM Golf  Why are you even here, on this 'site, haggling with people who shoot in the 90's? Most people here don't work in golf. They play for fun and they are entitled to their own opinion(s). 

Yes you are as am I as well. As a golf course employee I am well aware of the importance of the casual player a well as the higher handicap. There are more of you than there are of me, that's for sure.

6 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

There are more of you than there are of me, that's for sure.

Pointless comment/irrelevant

6 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Not sure how that will work?

You're not sure of a lot of things, you just pretend to be. 

Edited by Kalnoky

Wow, I don't know how this got turned into a pissing match but here's my take. . .

On 9/22/2017 at 9:49 AM, iceman777 said:

Im a 22 handicap . Would like to join or start a "for fun"league in RI . Just want to play 9 holes a week and don't care about matches with handicaps etc . Any ideas on how to go about joining or starting such a local league ? None of my friends play and all the local public courses seem to just have the competitive type leagues. thanks

This is a great idea. I'm "betting" that you'll find a lot of people who'd want to join. Game Golf has a lot of challenges, but not very tactile. One thing you might consider is prizes for people who've met some challenges you pose to the group. Perhaps it could be for "personal bests", and such. Having prizes is kind of a nice touch for any league.

You can start off with a group of friends, and build up from there attracting a lot of other golfers in your boat. There are plenty of 22+ handicaps. One thing you could teach is to play by the rules no matter what ugly score you end up with. Then go from there.

18 hours ago, iceman777 said:

I can understand how some like the competition , but for me , golf is simply me against the course . All the local leagues are handicap leagues . Never could understand , how if Im playing a guy who gives me 6 strokes , and I shoot a 50 for nine and he shoots a 45 , I "win' with the strokes . its ridiculous . I won nothing . Just want to play with guys who might have similar handicaps and be the best I can be . Don't care what you shoot .

Even if you have some better golfers, you could still easily have "personal best" themed prizes. This way any one of you could win them.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

13 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

Pointless comment/irrelevant

And yours weren't?

13 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

You're not sure of a lot of things, you just pretend to be. 

I'm sure of one thing I am done talking about this with you. :whistle:

• Administrator

FFS people, it's just golf. If you take offense to anything said here, or say something offensive here… it's just a game. A sport. A recreational activity.

Danny you already got one warning today. Going for a second?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The golf league I'm in has three different flights, A, B and non-competitive.  The NC flight just goes out and hacks it around, no scores or anything.  There are some really bad golfers in NC, but they have fun, so it's all good.

I've seen other leagues at my local muni that is also non-competitive.  I got sent out once with folks in the Marriott league.  Random people who work for the company just go out for the fun of it.  It didn't seem like most knew each other either, since it's such a big corporation.  Basically the company just reserved a block of tee times, and anyone in the company could sign up.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

2 minutes ago, davechen said:

The golf league I'm in has three different flights, A, B and non-competitive.  The NC flight just goes out and hacks it around, no scores or anything.  There are some really bad golfers in NC, but they have fun, so it's all good.

I've seen other leagues at my local muni that is also non-competitive.  I got sent out once with folks in the Marriott league.  Random people who work for the company just go out for the fun of it.  It didn't seem like most knew each other either, since it's such a big corporation.  Basically the company just reserved a block of tee times, and anyone in the company could sign up.

They just shorten the name to "C" flight in my clubs. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

Like I said I have played in hundreds of tournaments and I have no memory of dealing with anyone with a shitty attitude.

Off topic, but I just want to add my thoughts here. I've also played a ton of competitive golf.  In almost every one of them, someone has a crappy attitude.  I've played with plenty of cheaters too.  I played in a US Open Qualifier with a guy who had the worst attitude I've ever seen in a golfer.  He was a good golfer, couldn't sink a putt that day.  He missed the cut by one, cursed out loud on the course multiple times, left without going over the scorecard, was rude to all golfers and volunteers there.  I think that absolutely reflects on his attitude outside the course too.

Back to the topic, sometimes joining a group of guys comes down to meeting the right people. The best person to talk to about finding a group of good guys to play with, is the local golf pro or whomever is in charge of the shop.  He'll give you the times guys come out and such.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I haven't responded in here, because @iacas pretty much nailed it for me in his first response, that a league would imply a competition. 

But I forgot that one of the guys I work with does a 9-hole "league" called the Northern Virginia Water Professional League and they just play for fun and have beers afterwards.  No competition at all.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

No competition at all.  

Maybe they compete to see who can drink the most beer after? :-)

Like the old joke goes… "My beer drinking team has a golf problem."

• Like 2

I am in the same situation. Just trying to get out and play. And I’d rather play with one or more casual players as opposed to solo.

As a former high handicapper who just started playing again I have no illusions about my game. I’m just doing it for fun, and hopefully to improve.

5 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

Not everything in life is a competition sport. One day someone will have you over a barrel and you'll need help, and then you'll change your tune.

This is something that a lot of people never learn and to their detriment. A lawyer I once worked with told me to always remember "the world is round". Never gloat or beat some over the head because you have the big end of the stick on that day, because you will almost certainly encounter that opponent in a future setting where he has the big end of the stick. Those who learn that lesson and apply it, will inevitable be more successful over the course of time. People skills are the most important skill you can develop, and being a dick will always bite you in the ass given enough time. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

28 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Never gloat or beat some over the head because you have the big end of the stick on that day, because you will almost certainly encounter that opponent in a future setting where he has the big end of the stick. 

Yeah, but it feels so damn good that day though.. :-D

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 2352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!