IGNORED

Joining A "No Match" league

iceman777
Note: This thread is 2351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

Yeah, but it feels so damn good that day though.. :-D

True dat!

But, it comes down to the old instant gratification vs long term success equation. My advice, play the long game. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

This is something that a lot of people never learn and to their detriment. A lawyer I once worked with told me to always remember "the world is round". Never gloat or beat some over the head because you have the big end of the stick on that day, because you will almost certainly encounter that opponent in a future setting where he has the big end of the stick. Those who learn that lesson and apply it, will inevitable be more successful over the course of time. People skills are the most important skill you can develop, and being a dick will always bite you in the ass given enough time. 

This is the case for engineering careers as well. One day that intern you abused could become your boss. Happens all the time, and I’m very thankful to my mentors for having taught that to me early on in my career. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My personal experience working at a course has been different from what others report, in that my course at least had multiple leagues each week that didn't have any competition. There was one Sunday morning's for the local Elk's Lodge where the people just came to have fun and a non-competitive ladies league on Wednesday nights, and at least one more league that would come in throughout the week that I can remember (their day rotated). 

I worked at a 9 hole golf course, so it may be a bit biased towards "less serious" golfers in that respect, but it's not too uncommon from what I've seen. To entice more players to join in simple little prizes like straightest drive or closest to the pin, one a week, could help get more people interested than you otherwise might find, but depending on the golfers in your locale you may find people interested in what you had in mind as well.

This is exactly why I created my SocialPutts app.  I like to play golf different ways.  Sometimes I want a serious league or match, sometimes I just want to play with good friends, talk a little smack, have a beer or two and the score is secondary.  I like to play more often and I like to meet more people who are of a similar mindset to play with.

The app. is free and helps you connect with other golfers who play your favorite courses.  It also has Beginners Groups, Just for Fun golfer groups, etc around every major US city.  We just rolled out in TX, but I'd be happy to set up a group in your area for you.  I could even contact your local courses and see if they'd be willing to make their golfers aware of the app.  DM me if you're interested.

Sincerely, Art

595fdffb1cd64_logoforTST.jpg.9637d0539d0818684c1ee7c2f23bfb3a.jpg

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

On 9/22/2017 at 10:49 AM, iceman777 said:

Im a 22 handicap . Would like to join or start a "for fun"league in RI . Just want to play 9 holes a week and don't care about matches with handicaps etc . Any ideas on how to go about joining or starting such a local league ? None of my friends play and all the local public courses seem to just have the competitive type leagues. thanks

You can join a group and still just compete against the course.  No law says you have to take the competition between other players seriously.  However, I think that once you start, you'll find that the competition and interplay between the members just adds to the enjoyment.  Depending on the makeup of the group, you could end up in a flight with others at about your same ability level, ultimately what you seem to be looking for.

On 9/22/2017 at 11:21 AM, Kalnoky said:

Some courses have a separate men's club and league nights. The men's club hosts a lot of "hit-n-giggle" (they call it that, not me) events with different formats. It's more about socializing and having fun. The league night is stroke play and that is more competitive. They post the scores on a big board for everyone to see. Although, in fairness, the league night around here has a few guys w/ 30+ handicap. They just like to play golf - everyone is welcome. Anyway, it's worth asking the clubhouse for more details. Either way you go, people are pretty encouraging, you'd be surprised. 

Sometimes I really enjoy the serenity of playing alone. But sounds like you're a very social guy. I bet if you give it a chance you'd probably really enjoy even a "competitive" league. 

My experience is just the opposite.  After working as a starter for 5 years, I saw lots of leagues play, and most were just social groups, playing more for the beer and goofing around with friends than for any actual serious competition.  Our men's club plays about 15 tournaments per year, including 3 match play brackets, and all are played strictly by the rules with daily and event based prizes of cash or credit on the books in the pro shop.  They are still great fun and few of us take the end result all that seriously.  Winning anything is just the icing on the cake.  Even winning a paltry $10 skin over the course of a weekend tournament is justification for some good natured trash talking.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 2351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!