• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
iceman777

Joining A "No Match" league

Im a 22 handicap . Would like to join or start a "for fun"league in RI . Just want to play 9 holes a week and don't care about matches with handicaps etc . Any ideas on how to go about joining or starting such a local league ? None of my friends play and all the local public courses seem to just have the competitive type leagues. thanks

If you're gonna call it a "league," I think the competition is implied.

The first definition I could find that applied was "a group of sports clubs that play each other over a period for a championship."

What you're wanting seems more like a regular group of guys to play golf with at an established time and place. You could call it a "league," but I think that will confuse more people than it'll help.

Or, perhaps this would work… call it a "league" but offer almost random prizes each week. Offer a closest-to-the-pin prize one week. Offer a longest putt one week. Worst shot one week. That sort of thing. That way it is still a "league" of a sort without being super "competitive."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some courses have a separate men's club and league nights. The men's club hosts a lot of "hit-n-giggle" (they call it that, not me) events with different formats. It's more about socializing and having fun. The league night is stroke play and that is more competitive. They post the scores on a big board for everyone to see. Although, in fairness, the league night around here has a few guys w/ 30+ handicap. They just like to play golf - everyone is welcome. Anyway, it's worth asking the clubhouse for more details. Either way you go, people are pretty encouraging, you'd be surprised. 

Sometimes I really enjoy the serenity of playing alone. But sounds like you're a very social guy. I bet if you give it a chance you'd probably really enjoy even a "competitive" league. 

I think most folks are going to want some kind of competition. It doesn't need to be much....5 bucks. Handicaps level the playing field 

Edited by chilepepper

19 hours ago, iceman777 said:

Im a 22 handicap . Would like to join or start a "for fun"league in RI . Just want to play 9 holes a week and don't care about matches with handicaps etc . Any ideas on how to go about joining or starting such a local league ? None of my friends play and all the local public courses seem to just have the competitive type leagues. thanks

I am in a small league of 16. You could just do closest to the pin and longest drive competitions if you didn't care about overall scores. We play using a modified Stableford, but use other fun comps.

Another one is the beer hole par 3 challenge. On a par 3, all four tee off. If anyone gets on the green, the furthest from the pin has to buy a round for the group unless the closest to the pin doesn't par.

On 9/22/2017 at 4:59 PM, chilepepper said:

I think most folks are going to want some kind of competition. It doesn't need to be much....5 bucks. Handicaps level the playing field 

You got that right! If your not competing for something, why are you out there? We'll compete for as little if, I beat you, you owe me a beer!

There's gotta be something on the line!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

On 9/22/2017 at 10:49 AM, iceman777 said:

Would like to join or start a "for fun"league in RI .

Competition is fun! Golf is a game, games are competitive in nature. It's not necessary to play for a bunch of money or anything like that, but I think you may have trouble finding too many people that don't want to play for anything. I literally cannot remember the last round I played where something wasn't on the line. 

On 9/22/2017 at 12:49 PM, iceman777 said:

I understand where you're coming from @iceman777.

Sure I like friendly competition in any sport. I don't mind losing if I've played well, and it's not that big of a deal when I win - so long as my opponent is like-minded.

But inevitably, competition brings out the worst in some. Going by the hundreds of posts describing bad behavior during competition... cheating, arguments, bad tempers, gamesmanship, complicated or misunderstood rules... I'd venture to guess there are many who might be very interested in what you've described.  

So the idea of organizing a group of non-competitive golfers in a relaxing atmosphere makes perfect sense to me. A foursome who regularly play together is close, but the idea of having more participants and changing the teams from week to week seems like it might be interesting.

As far as I know it's still going on, but we had a group made up mostly of over 50's who'd get together 3 night out of the week to play doubles tennis. Both men and women of various skill levels participated. It never mattered who showed up or didn't., there were always enough participants, and partners were randomly matched. Score was kept, rules and etiquette were followed, but I doubt anyone really remembered or cared who won each match. Partners switched throughout the matches and there was very little drama. I'm not sure why this wouldn't work for golf a golf league.

Please let us know if this becomes reality.