IGNORED

iPhone Getting too Big

Yukari
Note: This thread is 2291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think iPhone (as is for most other premium smart phones) is getting too big to carry around primary as a phone.  Sure, it's great for surfing and email and if you don't carry your phone in your pant pocket.

Even with iPhone X just around the corner, I went back to the smaller size iPhone - SE.  It's a lot better than iPhone 6 that I replaced (A9 vs. A8) and much better to carry it around in pant pocket.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Yukari said:

I think iPhone (as is for most other premium smart phones) is getting too big to carry around primary as a phone.  Sure, it's great for surfing and email and if you don't carry your phone in your pant pocket.

I carry an iPhone 7 in my front pocket. Or sometimes my back pocket. Fits fine. Jeans, golf pants, shorts… whatever.

10 hours ago, Yukari said:

Even with iPhone X just around the corner, I went back to the smaller size iPhone - SE.  It's a lot better than iPhone 6 that I replaced (A9 vs. A8) and much better to carry it around in pant pocket.

I have a case for an X, btw, and it's barely bigger than the case for my 7.

But yes, the SE is a good size, too.

We have this club too:

Feel free to join.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to iPhone Getting too Big
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm getting really irritated with phone sizes. I figured they would have shifted back to being smaller by now, but NOPE. Sure there's smaller ones available, but they aren't flagship. I want a fast, powerful phone that isn't 7 freaking inches.

I guess the thing is that most people are glued to their phones. It's a part of them. So it's not so much about the convenience of size as it is the marginal size increase being "nicer" for them.

And this is coming from a 29-year old who is all about some science and technology.

I'm really pissed, too, at the price for a new Pixel 2. Gotta be flipping kidding me. Bought my Nexus 5X thinking it was the best budget phone for $200 and now the price of the "Google" phones are 3.5x the price....

• Thumbs Up 1

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

• Administrator

@jkelley9, you’re in the minority. I don’t find the 7, 8, or X at all inconvenient.

Smaller would be more of an inconvenience. Fewer apps. More scrolling. Tinier keyboards.

And I’m not glued to my phone.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

@jkelley9, you’re in the minority. I don’t find the 7, 8, or X at all inconvenient.

Smaller would be more of an inconvenience. Fewer apps. More scrolling. Tinier keyboards.

Agree. I have the iPhone 6s Plus. No issues.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Yeah, the 6, 7, 8, X, those are fine. I had the same feelings way back going from the 5 to the 6 but am a total convert now. The plus models are too large for my taste, but if something important required that size, would probably be able to adjust. When I eventually need reading glasses, might be a necessity.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

People put all sorts of things in their pockets. Soda can. U bar lock. Big phones aren't that big by comparison. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The iPhone size is pretty much ideal for me. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

15 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm well aware I'm in the minority. I'm not saying the phone companies are making the wrong choice - that would be wildly ignorant considering they're multi-billion dollar companies...

And I don't really care if you don't have issues with the size of your phone.... it's pretty obvious that most people don't; that's why they make them that size.

I also don't care "if it fits." Yes, I can make these phones fit in my pocket, but I care about the bulkiness of it compared to smaller phones.

Just opinions.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

Just opinions.

As was mine.

On 9/23/2017 at 8:17 AM, Yukari said:

Big is Good for older people because they can increase the font size

13 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The iPhone size is pretty much ideal for me. 

Me too, I like my 6S plus, I’ll probably like an 8, X or whatever as well.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I agree. They're too big. I also use the 5SE. Im on my second one, actually. Ill probably get another after whenever the one i have now croaks. My wife has a 7 and i dont see much difference in performance between the two. Im not a type that has my face stuck in my phone all the time and i dont use a ton of apps, so i don't really need a big screen. But I really liked the generation before the iphone5. That was the perfect size for a smartphone, IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I agree. They're too big. I also use the 5SE. Im on my second one, actually. Ill probably get another after whenever the one i have now croaks. My wife has a 7 and i dont see much difference in performance between the two. Im not a type that has my face stuck in my phone all the time and i dont use a ton of apps, so i don't really need a big screen. But I really liked the generation before the iphone5. That was the perfect size for a smartphone, IMO. 

SE is already pretty fast. Both my kids have SE because they hate the larger size. They like putting the phone into their back pockets.

My parents both have the plus sizes, so they can increase the font size. I think my dad has a large format 7, and my mom has the 8 in larger size?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

(edited)
2 hours ago, Lihu said:

SE is already pretty fast. Both my kids have SE because they hate the larger size. They like putting the phone into their back pockets.

My parents both have the plus sizes, so they can increase the font size. I think my dad has a large format 7, and my mom has the 8 in larger size?

This is the reason I don't like iPhone 6-8 or 6S-8S's.  I like to keep my phone in my pocket.  The size of 4 was perfect for carrying it around in a pant pocket.  Since I rarely wear a jacket, I hate having to carry around a large size phones.

For now SE is the only choice for me.

Edited by Yukari

Don

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Yukari said:

This is the reason I don't like iPhone 6-8 or 6S-8S's.  I like to keep my phone in my pocket.  The size of 4 was perfect for carrying it around in a pant pocket.  Since I rarely wear a jacket, I hate having to carry around a large size phones.

For now SE is the only choice for me.

My 7 fits in the front pockets of every pair of pants or shorts I own. As does the X.

I am not saying the phone doesn't fit in my pockets, it's just that it is too bulky.

But for most people, it seems the smartphone has replaced the computer and tablets.  So it's not surprising the PC market is declining.

Don

18 hours ago, Yukari said:

I am not saying the phone doesn't fit in my pockets, it's just that it is too bulky.

But for most people, it seems the smartphone has replaced the computer and tablets.  So it's not surprising the PC market is declining.

Agreed. My point exactly. Just because it fits, doesn't mean it's comfortable.

I would love something like the 5SE size again. That's the phone I would have right now if I wasn't an Android user; I don't care for iOS.

Note: This thread is 2291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!