IGNORED

When your son out drives you.

4right
Note: This thread is 2348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You always remember that time when you first beat your father. My dad was a scratch golfer so it took me a while to finally beat him. He was also pretty dang long off the tee in his prime so outdriving him we a feat as well. He first shot his age at 68 and has since done it more than 50 times, so he is no pushover still. He's in his mid 70s now with more back issues than you can count so our matches are unfortunately few and far between :-(.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got to play my first round ever with my dad and my son earlier this summer. That was really cool. I hope we manage to get in a few more in the future. My son will outdrive me a good bit. I think its awesome to watch. He's improving by leaps and bounds. Watching him play well is every bit as fun and doing so myself.

My Grandson can out drive me by a mile. At 320-330 yards, he could out drive some of the pga guys on a regular basis given the chance. He even stays in the fairway most of the time. However, his achilles heel is his short game. He has none, as is where I can compete with his long game. 

Most important though, we still have fun, playing and talking smack back and forth. :beer:

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

That has to be an incredible feeling playing golf with your son and seeing him excel, My dad never played golf but more than once a year for work tournaments. I got hooked after high school and we play together every other year or so. I have to give him 2 shots a hole. 2 years ago was the last time we played and he beat me by 1 net. It's not his cup of tea but I appreciate him trying. I think the similar situation to your son outdriving you was my freshman year of high school my dad and I would wrestle occasionally (He wrestled for Penn State int eh 160lb weight class) and I was a solid 225 lineman on the football team. Id really didn't matter what moves he knew because I was much bigger and stronger than he was. After an exhausting match for him, he said, you know what, I'll still be able to kick your ass on my deathbed.  I told him jokingly I would just pinch the oxygen tube haha

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

4 hours ago, Slugox said:

I got to play my first round ever with my dad and my son earlier this summer. That was really cool. I hope we manage to get in a few more in the future. My son will outdrive me a good bit. I think its awesome to watch. He's improving by leaps and bounds. Watching him play well is every bit as fun and doing so myself.

I wished I could get on the course with my dad and son together. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my dad to play golf if I paid him to do it. He still thinks golf is an activity for "rich white people" :whistle:

However we did do archery together. Which, ironically, most people associate with "poor white people". :-D But one time we all hit bulls eyes on all three arrows that "end". 9 bulls eyes in a row. We took a group photo of that. That was cool.

Maybe there's hope to get him out on the golf course once he recovers from his broken ankle from in line skating and my son has time off from school. . .

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

17 hours ago, Lihu said:

I wished I could get on the course with my dad and son together. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my dad to play golf if I paid him to do it. He still thinks golf is an activity for "rich white people" :whistle:

However we did do archery together. Which, ironically, most people associate with "poor white people". :-D But one time we all hit bulls eyes on all three arrows that "end". 9 bulls eyes in a row. We took a group photo of that. That was cool.

Maybe there's hope to get him out on the golf course once he recovers from his broken ankle from in line skating and my son has time off from school. . .

Get some of those foam practice balls and attach them to the ends of the arrows. He can shoot his way around the course with a bow. :)

46 minutes ago, Slugox said:

Get some of those foam practice balls and attach them to the ends of the arrows. He can shoot his way around the course with a bow. :)

Unfortunately, no weapons are allowed on the course, and don't ask me how I know. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

His coach worked with him on his driver this week. He was drilling them out to the back fence at the range. We'll see how that translates on to the course today? 

At this point in my life (23) I can outdrive my father (56) by about 40yds (250's v 290's).

Jokes on me though 'cause he can still bench press more to go along with the rippling 6-pack I've been chasing after the last 4+ years. 

5 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

As long as he's not <= 4 and out driving you your fine.

There was a little kid (not sure how old, but really tiny) that my son was teaching who hit this one perfect drive almost 180 yards out and rolled some. Judging by the way the dad looked, I think he out drove his dad. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On 9/28/2017 at 9:59 AM, scotth said:

Played a round yesterday with a guy who is my age, and his 16 year old daughter.  She was out driving both of us by 20 yards on average, and on the first par 5 by about 45 yards.  

Things really got really humbling on the next hole, a par 3 that was 156 yards to the center of the green, we both pulled 7 irons and she pulled a 9 iron.  

Went out this year to watch some of the last 2 rounds of the Youngstown State University Women's Invitational at Mill Creek. There were 11 teams involved. Quite a few of those young ladies hit shots that made me envious! No way I could hit those shots today, or for quite a few years in the past.

I am so old I have grandsons that out drive me and delight in pointing it out.  Of course neither has managed to fire a lower score yet.  I keep telling them them game is about how many, not how far.

Butch

Just as an update, I've played a round with my son every weekend for the past 4 weeks. He's really improving. He out drove me on a few holes today. It's a long course, 6450 yds. The long holes used to be a problem for him. Now he's driver, 3 wood, sand wedge to the green on the par 5's. He parred a par 4 and a par 5. One OB snowman. He's getting frustrated with himself now when he makes a bad shot. I think that's a good thing. Golf offers a lot of life lessons. He's thinking about trying out for the high school golf team. I'm not pushing him. It will be his decision. 

My eldest is 4 and loves coming to the range with me. Once he's a liitle older and understands it more i'll take him to a par 3 near us. I have already said that as soon as he can outdrive me he's changing to cricket instead :-D

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• 4 weeks later...

Another update. My son and I have continued to play weekly. He's really progressing. Hitting fairways, and greens.  He tried out for the high school team and made the JV team. Now he's trying to figure out if he really what's to play on the team? KIDS!..... There were about 12 freshman boys trying out for the team. They played 9 holes and were put through a series of skill test. My son shot a 50, which was the second lowest score. He said a lot of the boys were X-ing out holes.The kid he played with shot a 39! He said the kid plays almost everyday with his retired grandfather. The coach told that kid he needs to tryout for Varsity. 

7 hours ago, 4right said:

Another update. My son and I have continued to play weekly. He's really progressing. Hitting fairways, and greens.  He tried out for the high school team and made the JV team. Now he's trying to figure out if he really what's to play on the team? KIDS!..... There were about 12 freshman boys trying out for the team. They played 9 holes and were put through a series of skill test. My son shot a 50, which was the second lowest score. He said a lot of the boys were X-ing out holes.The kid he played with shot a 39! He said the kid plays almost everyday with his retired grandfather. The coach told that kid he needs to tryout for Varsity. 

Hope he decides to play golf, but from the sound of it he could possibly play baseball a well?

In my kid's play league, there was a kid and his Grandfather who played every day since he was 6 and is probably 14 at this point. He played very well, and had 3 coaches at one point. He'd likely be able to shoot par on shorter courses. 39 would likely be a bad score for Cole.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!