IGNORED

NHL 2017-2018

Themightyoz
Note: This thread is 2143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Also appreciate the fact that you are seeing one of the more preposterous things in NHL history, a first-year expansion team that has dominated on the way to the playoffs. The NHL has traditionally had expansion drafts that assure the newcomer of being hopelessly bad. 

Yea the media keeps making a big deal about VGK being the first expansion team to be this successful and whatever, but they never talk about how the expansion draft was set up to ensure they would have a good team to begin with.

Before the season started, the team was already better than at least ten other teams on paper.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

38 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea the media keeps making a big deal about VGK being the first expansion team to be this successful and whatever, but they never talk about how the expansion draft was set up to ensure they would have a good team to begin with.

Before the season started, the team was already better than at least ten other teams on paper.

Not that more expansion is imminent, but I'd bet we see the next expansion draft structured very differently.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Not that more expansion is imminent, but I'd bet we see the next expansion draft structured very differently.

Seattle is in the works. It won't be too long before the league expands again.

I don't know that they'd change it. Having a successful new franchise is good for the NHL. Maybe they exempt VGK or tweak the details slightly, but that's all I expect will be different.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Have fun. It should definitely be an interesting experience. 

Also appreciate the fact that you are seeing one of the more preposterous things in NHL history, a first-year expansion team that has dominated on the way to the playoffs. The NHL has traditionally had expansion drafts that assure the newcomer of being hopelessly bad. 

I will have a good time. I have also been reading up on the Vegas team.  As for some of the finer points of the game, I will have one of my Grand Daughters explain it to me. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Seattle is in the works. It won't be too long before the league expands again.

I don't know that they'd change it. Having a successful new franchise is good for the NHL. Maybe they exempt VGK or tweak the details slightly, but that's all I expect will be different.

I'd bet that most owners care more about what's good for their own team more than what's good for the league.  The difference might be to increase the number of players a team can protect somehow.  I'd have a hard time exempting VGK after the season they've had.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

With Toronto on the verge of elimination, I can’t wait for the daily TSN updates on what Austen Matthews is shooting on the golf course.  

And on the spearing (or nut shot, whatever works for you) subject.  I counted at least two from an Avalanche player in last nights game.  Neither got called, although said nut shot receiver did manage to lose his shit and take a retaliation penalty.  

As to not aggravate the missus any more than normal, I’m going to skip the two early games and try to watch the Preds/ Avs tilt in its entirety.   It’s been a nice, aggressive hockey series so far.  

Edited by Warren Zevon
Nut shot, not but shot

Corey

16 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'd bet that most owners care more about what's good for their own team more than what's good for the league.  The difference might be to increase the number of players a team can protect somehow.  I'd have a hard time exempting VGK after the season they've had.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Bill Daly said Seattle will have the same expansion rules, but you're right they probably won't exempt VGK.

Bill

My Swing Thread

On 4/18/2018 at 4:37 PM, mcanadiens said:

Well some people can remain douchebags even after they become adults. Maybe he's one of them.

Apparently, not.

Gotta respect when a guy can own up to his mistakes.

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

Not a Flyers fan at all, but I have to give props to Sean Couturier for playing through a torn MCL for the Pittsburgh series.  

I think the Jets / Preds series could be one for the ages.  

Corey

On 4/11/2018 at 12:49 PM, DaveP043 said:

Once again the Washington Capitals are in the playoffs, this time against the Blue Jackets.  My official prediction, the Caps win, and go on to lose in 7 to Pittsburgh.  Why should this year be any different?

Actually, I'm a little optimistic.  The past two years, the Caps got such a big lead in the regular season that they seemed to be coasting for at least a month at the end of the season.  This year, they needed to play hard almost to the end, so I think they've not had much of a chance to get "soft" in their routines.  Whether this means a difference in the playoffs, I have no clue, but if a fan can't find a reason for hope entering the playoffs, he shouldn't even be watching.

Here we go again, Caps-Pens.  No predictions, no boasts, just hope.  

Dave

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Here we go again, Caps-Pens.  No predictions, no boasts, just hope.  

One would think the law of averages has to apply at some point.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, iacas said:

One would think the law of averages has to apply at some point.

Its a funny game, the luck of the bounces in hockey is such a big part of the result, possibly more than in any other sport.  

Dave

The frustrating thing about what I saw of the CBJ-Washington series, was the total refusal of Columbus to adjust the PK. Everyone knows what the caps love to do with No. 8 on the far circle. Jackets let it happen over and over. Holtby was very strong as well. CBJ compted in all but one of those games. Holtby was better than Bob.

I think the Caps did a couple of things to change the tide.  Obviously, putting Holtby back in net was one of them.  Grubauer was clearly better over the last couple months of regular season, but struggled in the playoffs.  Holtby was solid.  The other, they adapted to hold Panarin down.  He had way too much possession in open ice through the first two games, and the Caps largely took that away as the series went on.  

Dave

16 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The frustrating thing about what I saw of the CBJ-Washington series, was the total refusal of Columbus to adjust the PK.

If CBJ doesnt go 0-15 on powerplays its an entirely different series. That was pathetic. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

51 minutes ago, klineka said:

If CBJ doesnt go 0-15 on powerplays its an entirely different series. That was pathetic. 

0 and 15 is the number for the four games they lost correct? 

Of course that coincides with the switch in goal to Holtby if I remember right.. Really, the CBJ powerplay has had problems all year. It's got some pieces, but there isn't much net presence. You sure as hell didn't want this series to come down to who has the better powerplay. That was the Caps from Day One. It's a difference in talent.

On the other hand, CBJ could have played a more disciplined brand of hockey, not given up so many penalties  and made alterations on the penalty kill to force Washington to do something different. You got to work with what you've got. I'm not sure they did as good a job of that as they could have.

Edited by mcanadiens

Note: This thread is 2143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!