IGNORED

Blown Leaf Alters Putt, You Can Replay?

nevets88

On 11/28/2017 at 9:32 AM, iacas said:

Nope.

Wind is not an outside agency.

I apologize in advance this is only tangiently related.

Since we are talking about outside agencies. We have a downright gross of geese that flock around the golf course. Their favorite location is the 7th hole. 

Is it just considered a "rub of the green" if you happen to hit one that is in motion? We debate this all the time at my course. I believe, I'm not positive it would work like hitting in the gallery. 

Back to the topic, if the stroke is taken from the putting green, if it hits a moving object, blowing leaf, beetle, a dog... I think you are required to cancel the stroke and replay it as near as possible on the green as you played the original shot. And on the green you place the ball.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I apologize in advance this is only tangiently related.

Since we are talking about outside agencies. We have a downright gross of geese that flock around the golf course. Their favorite location is the 7th hole. 

Is it just considered a "rub of the green" if you happen to hit one that is in motion? We debate this all the time at my course. I believe, I'm not positive it would work like hitting in the gallery. 

Back to the topic, if the stroke is taken from the putting green, if it hits a moving object, blowing leaf, beetle, a dog... I think you are required to cancel the stroke and replay it as near as possible on the green as you played the original shot. And on the green you place the ball.

A goose is an outside agency. Rule 19-1 says: 

If a player's ball in motion is accidentally deflected or stopped by any outside agency, it is a rub of the green, there is no penalty and the ball must be played as it lies

But back to the topic, did you nor read the very fist post re 19-1b

b. If a player's ball in motion after a stroke on the putting green is deflected or stopped by, or comes to rest in or on, any moving or animate outside agency, except a worm, insect or the like, the stroke is canceled. The ball must be replaced and replayed.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Kosta said:

Does the rule state "can replay the shot" or "must replay the shot"

On 3/5/2018 at 3:05 AM, Rulesman said:

But back to the topic, did you nor read the very fist post re 19-1b

b. If a player's ball in motion after a stroke on the putting green is deflected or stopped by, or comes to rest in or on, any moving or animate outside agency, except a worm, insect or the like, the stroke is canceled. The ball must be replaced and replayed.

This thread is three years old, but the quote above says “must.” @Rulesman, has this changed since this thread was started?

3 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

This thread is three years old, but the quote above says “must.” @Rulesman, has this changed since this thread was started?

Exception 2 to 11.1b, the ball still must be replaced, without penalty.

Exception 2 – When Ball Played from Putting Green Accidentally Hits Any Person, Animal or Movable Obstruction (Including Another Ball in Motion) on Putting Green: The stroke does not count and the original ball or another ball must be replaced on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2), except in these two cases:

Ball in Motion Hits Another Ball at Rest or Ball-Marker on Putting Green. The stroke counts and the ball must be played as it lies. (See Rule 11.1a for whether a penalty applies in stroke play).

Ball in Motion Accidentally Hits Flagstick or Person Attending Flagstick. This is covered by Rule 13.2b(2), not by this Rule.

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 1:19 AM, woodzie264 said:

Yes it has changed. 11.1b exception 2 now says a ball played from the putting green must be replayed when the ball "accidentally hits any person, animal, or movable obstruction." It no longer says "outside influence". 

IMO this no longer applies to a blowing leaf. 

• iacas changed the title to Blown Leaf Alters Putt, You Can Replay?
24 minutes ago, reidsou said:

Yes it has changed. 11.1b exception 2 now says a ball played from the putting green must be replayed when the ball "accidentally hits any person, animal, or movable obstruction." It no longer says "outside influence". 

IMO this no longer applies to a blowing leaf. 

I meant it no longer says "outside agency".