Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 10/12/2017 at 6:57 AM, Lihu said:

One thing I thought was odd was the aiming part in putting. There isn't any actual aiming. You only use the lines to line up the ball, and not to aim the line per se except that it happens to be the direction you want to putt. So, I'm now using lines on the ball to practice putting "well". That is, if the ball follows the line such that you can see a distinct line as the ball is rolling, then you hit a "good" putt whether it goes to the hole or not. Definitely an eye opener for me. I started getting within 3 feet of the hole from most of my lag putts after that.

More putting and chipping practice, I'm actually starting to like it too. . .

Did a chipping and full/partial swing clinic on Saturday.

My full swing is now a 3/4 swing, wrist is flat and short game is getting better and I shot 82 at 6700 yards only hitting 3 trees off the tee the other day. After the clinic, shot 83 at 6400 yards with quite a few badly placed tee shots but no trees. These were scored on a card by my partners, and not in GG. Going out this week to play a couple more rounds to sync up with my app.

Practicing more of the same. of course. . .

Edited by Lihu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Oct. 16

Hit short SWs in my back yard for 10 minutes. At end, got 3 of 4 within five feet off a shaggy, 30° downhill lie from 20 yards.

First time I could use the wedge range since the yard got aerated four weeks ago (had to water frequently for overseed).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/16/2017 at 6:47 AM, Lihu said:

Did a chipping and full/partial swing clinic on Saturday.

My full swing is now a 3/4 swing, wrist is flat and short game is getting better and I shot 82 at 6700 yards only hitting 3 trees off the tee the other day. After the clinic, shot 83 at 6400 yards with quite a few badly placed tee shots but no trees. These were scored on a card by my partners, and not in GG. Going out this week to play a couple more rounds to sync up with my app.

Practicing more of the same. of course. . .

Adding more lag to the wrist set. There's a point where too much lag in the wrists makes them hurt a bit, so I'm playing with different "levels" of wrist set that make trade off speed with comfort. I feel best when my swing is a comfortable motion without any "pinch" points. Did some of this on the range the other day, and was getting pretty decent distances without wrist set, then started progressively feeling like I was adding more and more. The snap was a bit too much at my full body turn rotation speed at the "maximum" wrist set. Played around a bit with the wrist angles and such, but the more snap, the more I could feel stress on the wrist. Working on this a bit more. Loved the results. My PW was just passing a the yellow flag in the instruction area with what felt like was a "mid-level" wrist set.

Using a 55" monitor as a "mirror with a webcam. Recording some of the motions just to capture some progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10/16 - continued shoulder rehab with golf specific stretching and core strengthening this morning. Will get some lag putting in today as well working on speed. 

Apparently my aboveboard post from yesterday, didn't go through...again :pound:

10/17 - today was more lag putting down to hallway at work with emphasis on speed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oct. 17

Practiced set-up and backswing for 5 minutes after work in long mirror. Seem to have good set at top without "crossing the line."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Lihu said:

Adding more lag to the wrist set. There's a point where too much lag in the wrists makes them hurt a bit, so I'm playing with different "levels" of wrist set that make trade off speed with comfort. I feel best when my swing is a comfortable motion without any "pinch" points. Did some of this on the range the other day, and was getting pretty decent distances without wrist set, then started progressively feeling like I was adding more and more. The snap was a bit too much at my full body turn rotation speed at the "maximum" wrist set. Played around a bit with the wrist angles and such, but the more snap, the more I could feel stress on the wrist. Working on this a bit more. Loved the results. My PW was just passing a the yellow flag in the instruction area with what felt like was a "mid-level" wrist set.

Using a 55" monitor as a "mirror with a webcam. Recording some of the motions just to capture some progress.

The conscious wrist set gave me more consistent results, I was hoping for more distance but got more consistent direction and distances. Once I got it integrated into the rest of the swing, I was consistently knocking balls over the trees near the back of my home town's range. Hitting far enough. Also, my 9i was hitting more the targets I wanted. Not quite 60% of the way there yet with my new swing, but I feel progress. I'm hoping to score better than before I stopped playing daily a year ago with no more than 2 range practice sessions and 2 rounds per week. The rest will be just 5 to 10 minute snippets throughout the week. I have to say that this is working very well. You really don't want to beat 200+ balls and/or play 9 to 27 holes a day to get good. I think this experiment is working out nicely.

Short game is another story: Bladed two chip, then did what my coach told me to do, and relaxed my entire chip shot and swung like a putter with a penny on it. Smooth swing. Chipped in one shot and bumped near the hole two times in a row thereafter both stopping within 3 feet. Putting needs improvement, but I didn't really practice it. If I only practice the movements first, before practicing, my results should be better with short game and putting as well with the same minimal practice and playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Lihu said:

The conscious wrist set gave me more consistent results, I was hoping for more distance but got more consistent direction and distances. Once I got it integrated into the rest of the swing, I was consistently knocking balls over the trees near the back of my home town's range. Hitting far enough. Also, my 9i was hitting more the targets I wanted. Not quite 60% of the way there yet with my new swing, but I feel progress. I'm hoping to score better than before I stopped playing daily a year ago with no more than 2 range practice sessions and 2 rounds per week. The rest will be just 5 to 10 minute snippets throughout the week. I have to say that this is working very well. You really don't want to beat 200+ balls and/or play 9 to 27 holes a day to get good. I think this experiment is working out nicely.

Short game is another story: Bladed two chip, then did what my coach told me to do, and relaxed my entire chip shot and swung like a putter with a penny on it. Smooth swing. Chipped in one shot and bumped near the hole two times in a row thereafter both stopping within 3 feet. Putting needs improvement, but I didn't really practice it. If I only practice the movements first, before practicing, my results should be better with short game and putting as well with the same minimal practice and playing.

Practicing my putting stroke with a penny on top of the putter. Trying to make the stroke without dropping the penny. Still pretty slow, and hoping to get my putting stroke quite a bit faster while still not losing the penny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10/18 - more centerned turns with an 8i, with attempts to reduce head bobbing and coming off my bookends. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10/18/17:

Played 27 holes today. 3 6s and 1 7 in those 27 holes. Shot 41-42-38=121... Still no full shots inside of 150 yards. Shot of the day: 26th hole of the day, 128 yards from the flagstick. Hit a 70% ish backswing 9i to 6 inches. I only hit 9 out of 27 greens... I did have 3 in each nine. Now I need some work with the driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yesterday evening, forgot to post:

Short game clinic. Learned flop shots. Hit one with the club so wide open only the leading edge engaged the ball sideways. The ball popped up in the air so high and close to me I could have caught it if I were looking up. Still learning to make the chipping and pitching strokes. Learning the full capabilities of the putting stroke, and just starting to make better pitching strokes. Getting much more solid with short game, than I've ever been. Hoping to shave a couple strokes off my next round.

Had a horrible range session compared to the previous night, but I did practice the wrist set. The drives were mostly usable only because they lacked a lot of distance. My "driving muscles" were still sore from of the previous night's go-for-it driving training with half a large bucket.

This morning:

Doing more wrist set motions.

I'm breaking the practice 2 times a week limit I set for myself this week because I need to focus on the short game for a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10/20 - cont shoulder rehab with golf specific stretching and kettle bell swings with focus on centered turn/steady head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did some short game practice in the dark. Making nice and slow motions with an imaginary penny on the club and sweeping the balls. This is helping me reduce the arm swing tendency with chipping. It's helping my putting as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Lihu said:

Did some short game practice in the dark. Making nice and slow motions with an imaginary penny on the club and sweeping the balls. This is helping me reduce the arm swing tendency with chipping. It's helping my putting as well.

Slow round. Got one shot from 140 yards to less than 5 feet. Feeling a lot better. Still hit a few trees off the tee, but not as penal as previous rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
  • Posts

    • Since this is the first I've ever heard of this I must plead ignorance. However, there are some things that I've seen that indicate that something like this is taking hold. At Mill Creek I noticed, painted on the cart paths, the words "Youth Tees" with an arrow. They simply mowed short a small section of fairway for kids to tee off from. But this is nothing like the full tilt "Longleaf" method. Also noticed at Fowler's Mill they had "blended" green/silver tees, which is what we played. The course was plenty long enough for us from there! This seems somewhat akin to my post about some courses not having proper tees for senior men without them horning in on the ladies tee box. I can tell you, the ladies got as mad as hornets when we showed up! Overall, I like the idea. You could "customize" any course to your particular game! My buddy and I sure started enjoying golf a lot more when we were slugging our brains out less!
    • Going to do an end of season assessment. I'm using the insights function from Game Golf here, comparing my last 10 rounds to a 10 handicap benchmark (my target): A couple of things jumped out at me right away: My short game and putting are worse than I thought they were. I'm losing 4.28 strokes to a 10 handicap in those two categories combined versus 2.54 strokes in long game (GG has me as a 16). I have to go all the way down to a 20 handicap benchmark to get similar numbers in the short game and putting, which effectively means I'm a 20 from 100 yards and in. My approach numbers indicate that I'm proficient from 150+ yards. I fall somewhere between a 5 and scratch. I'm deficient from 100 yards and in. My driving is fine distance-wise, but dispersion is a problem. Here is what I think: Lack of practice. I just haven't done much putting and short game practice this year, if at all, really. I usually go out once or twice during the season just to practice around the greens and I didn't do that this year due to lack of time. It was easier to find time to practice the full swing into my net at home but not as easy to get out to the course to do some work. I used to just tell myself that my short game and putting were up to par with my handicap level but clearly they are not. See #1. I spend more time on the full swing. That and I hit the ball a decent distance, so I have a shorter club in my hands to begin with. From 100 yards and in, the problem lies in not knowing my partial wedge distances well and executing those shots. Most people aren't missing long from there as much I am. I knew this already. My driving hurts my game a lot. I hate that old cliche where people think they can hit more greens just by being in play off the tee but that may actually be true in my case. Funny enough, even when I do hit a good drive, I'm not good from 100 yards and in anyway so I might not even be taking advantage of them. My plan for improvement: Obviously, practice my short game and putting more next season. Even if it's just 10 minutes pitching or putting after a round focusing on one particular skill at a time, it will help. It doesn't have to be a full hour practice session or anything and it will be easier to get the extra time to do golf stuff when I'm already out doing golf stuff. It won't be as big of a deal if I come home 15 minutes later from a round. Need to learn my partial wedges. I tried to do this a long time ago and I remember it being hard to find time on a course without a lot of other people around so I can map things out. I'm hoping to get a Mevo to incorporate into my practice to help with this. To add to that, I need new wedges. I don't like blaming my equipment for my deficiencies, but they're not helping. My wedges aren't properly gapped for my set anymore and my GW is a 35 year old PW I'm using only because it's 50° and fills the yardage gap better than my 52°. I'm going to try to get fit for Edel wedges early next Spring and even replace my set's PW and play four wedges to give me a variety of options for any situation. Improve my driving? That doesn't actually need to be stated since I'm always trying to work on my full swing, but the block miss is most prevalent with the driver. It's funny because GG has me missing 33% left. I don't really miss left, I just aim so far left to allow for missing right that sometimes I'll end up hitting good drives left of the fairway. I don't think the solution off the tee is to take less club (maybe it is?). If I tee off a hybrid and mis-hit it, I'm not going to be in good shape, either. Plus, I can still block a shorter club. I think what i need to do is develop a less than full driver swing, something I can control my start line a bit better with when I can get away with losing a little bit of distance off the tee. Kind of like how my start lines seem to be tighter when I flight shots, I need to apply that same principle to the big stick. I think I'm going to get fit for an Edel putter, too. It's long overdue. I've always had a good acceleration profile, so having a putter that I can control distance with will be a big advantage. I think it will make a big difference having a putter I'm confident at aiming, too. I'm still pretty sure I solved my aim issue with my current putter but I was still pushing putts so doubt is still there. At least I'll know with a custom putter that it's not the putter. That's the plan going forward. I'm probably not going to change my full swing practice, just add a little bit more work to address other needs. I know I say this a lot, but I feel like I'm close to turning a corner.
    • IMO Tiger tried to become more like Hogan with lower deeper hands at the top.  Look how jacked up his body positions are here: This whole thing with connect arms to body and all you have to do is rotate leaves a bad taste in my mouth personally.
    • We have 5 sets of tees plus a set of family tees in the fairway.  
    • I believe she kicked Ledbetter out late last year or early this year, and went to a new swing coach, new caddies, and new equipment - so many changes = 0 wins. She began to play better, I believe. late this year.   Early 2017 - She had since parted ways with coach David Leadbetter, hiring South African Gary Gilchrist and replaced her long-time caddie Jason Hamilton with another South African, Gary Matthews. The LPGA's top-ranked player, Ko has also changed her clubs. The changes followed the first minor slump in Ko's career.Feb 12, 2017
  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. hockeyref18
      hockeyref18
      (18 years old)
    2. Mike86
      Mike86
      (31 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon

×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.