IGNORED

What type of golfer are you?

Seals
Note: This thread is 2366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think of myself as the casual golfer. Don't care if you are moving slightly in my swing, or make a small noise (Coughing, moving arm) and generally like to keep it light. Played with a guy that needed absolute silence in order to hit. Not saying that is wrong, just different. What sort of golfer are you?

These days, I am a very casual golfer. Just happy my game is some what still there to enjoy. I am a very relaxed golfer. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Broke100Once said:

A terrible golfer

Keep slugging bud. At one point not very long ago I was a golfer that broke 100 once. Today I felt butt hurt about my 94. You'll probably get there to if you stick with it.

As far as distractions go, I don't see people behind me, moving or otherwise. Noise needs to be reasonable. A muffled cough won't bother me. Even a soft-spoken word or two isn't going to bother me. Just don't be silly. If you are, I'll be super, super pissed.

I joined two strangers at the muni yesterday. They were two older ladies, chatted constantly, smoked constantly, increasingly getting pissed.

I Shot an 83. One of my better rounds this year. Didn't even notice them when I was hitting. Had a great day on the course. Thankful the weather is still holding.

I'm so laid back, not much bothers me. About the only thing that gets me going is when a course marshall suggests any group we are in are slow, when we have to wait for the train of foursomes in front of us.

Most of my rounds this summer have been as a walk up single, so I've been grouped with many different players with a variety of skill levels and personalities. I'm fairly easy going and tend to block out the noise and movement, but I've played with a number of golfers who seem to hear the bird chirping 4 blocks away and can't pull the trigger on a shot until they have absolute silence. When you play a course along Lake Michigan in Chicago - it's never quiet! Can make for a pretty slow and teeth grinding round

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

17 hours ago, Seals said:

I think of myself as the casual golfer. Don't care if you are moving slightly in my swing, or make a small noise (Coughing, moving arm) and generally like to keep it light. Played with a guy that needed absolute silence in order to hit. Not saying that is wrong, just different. What sort of golfer are you?

Ditto 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I tend to do better when there are distractions talking, trains, airplanes, etc.  than when dead quiet.  Basically if you are louder than me telling my self not to hit it in the trouble, there is a good chance i'm not going to.  Unfortunately the reverse is also true.

Idk if this is one of the answers you are looking for, but I like to be the sh#$! talking golfer. Those games are my favorite. Likely because these were many of my best memories from playing w/ teammates in high school. Of course only to friends who are okay with it. When playing w/ one of my buddies and we would get paired w/ a random 2-some, we would often get comments that they really loved playing w/ us because of all the crap we gave each other (all w/ huge grins). Nothing better then getting a great line in where one can only laugh and say ouch.... except when that is followed by a stellar shot, which is then followed by minutes of self praise which the other guy has to endure. It's quite possible I like the zingers better than the actual golf.

Edited by bones75
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm a pretty laid back golfer, even when playing in tournaments. Stuff like shadows on the line of your putt or in your sight when you hit a shot is something that I honestly don't notice unless someone is trying to wave the shadow of their hand back and forth over my ball. I honestly don't even mind that much if someone happens to step on the line of my putt, provided they don't twist, because the modern soft spikes (except on some Adidas shoes) don't really do any damage at all to the greens if you're being careful. If someone's moving when I hit I don't notice, because I'm not looking at them, and if they're not yelling I won't notice people talking. 

If you can't deal with background noise or motion, how can you enjoy golf? It seems like it would just make you constantly stressed out if you were trying to make sure everything was perfectly quiet and still before you hit each shot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What type of golfer are you huh?.... Hmmm, i guess the apparel image sums it up.  LOL

Talking, movement and whatnot doesn't bother me. Oddly, sometimes what does, is the "drone" of someone mowing a fairway or green very close to me and as I become set to swing the droning noise of the machine suddenly stops. It kind of triggers a.. "uh oh, what happened" reaction and sometimes I have to back off take a look and then re-address. .If the mowing doesn't stop all is good.

CGA.jpg

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

What type? Erratic :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm the Scott Mitchell of golf... (Scott Mitchell was the Lions starting QB in the 1990s), Inconsistent and a bum... Probably closer to Andre Rison sometimes... Atlanta Andre Rison, not Indy, Cleveland, KC, Baltimore Andre Rison... I can be good on some days, but it's always one facet of the game that costs me... Going to a three-quarter swing for all full shots in order to be more consistent.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I'm the type of golfer that goes out, 3 to 4 times a year, mainly in the Fall, never have broken 100, and occasionally hit a good shot or two. I know I'm terrible for the most part, but I enjoy the game, the peace and quiet in the early morning on the course, very similar to fishing, I just truly enjoy the experience more than trying to be competitive.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only thing that gets to me is a sudden noise in my backswing.  You can be talking during my set up and as i take my swing and it never bothers me.  But if silence gets broken by a sudden noise, I'm a mess. 

Nothing else really gets to me.  I suppose if someone did jumping jacks in my line that might bother me, but short of that I'm generally focused enough on the (nigh on impossible) task at hand that stuff doesn't get to me. 

My regular groups are all made of up of ball busters.  We laugh at each other's misery, make fun of our screw ups and idiosyncracies, and celebrate the occasional decent result -- even when it might cost us a few shekels. 

I also try to keep things in perspective -- I'm not making a living at this stupid game and never will.  I don't bet enough that I'm ever going to get hurt financially.  And as far as competition, I grind over making the best swipe at the ball that I can, but don't get too flummoxed over the more likely mediocre results and certainly don't get to hung up on tourney results.  As a net player, it is all very random -- except when it isn't on account of sandbagging, which I also have no control over.

That's not to say I've never had a meltdown on the course.  Absolutely, a well-chosen four letter word is generally part of my post-shot routine (right before reaching into my pocket for another pellet) on tight driving holes.  Stupid game. 

Edited by tdiii

I'm a relaxed golfer.  Not much bothers me except I play with a guy that always has to chase his golf ball down even if it's in my line towards the green.  Often we have to tell him to move.   That bothers me.   A little noise on the tee or green doesn't bother me.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!