IGNORED

How old are your irons?

Note: This thread is 2213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been reading posts, 30 year old blades, oldest club in bag, etc. I bought my Mizuno MX200, and MP T3 wedges, back in 2010. Been out of work for almost 4 years, and 60% of the time before that. If I were working, I would upgrade to new ones(AP2s, AP1s). BUT, I like the way they feel and they still look good(only golfed a few times the last 2 years).  Sometimes I think I need new shafts. I hit the ball high, not much distance. YET, at my age of 61, who knows how much more distance I can gain with new shafts. I hit my 8 iron, 140 - 145. The might be ok for my age? SO, how old  are irons many of you are using? Who knows, since my Woods and Hybrids are just as old, I might upgrade them first. 

Edited by Alohaed

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My irons are about a year old. I play a lot (3-4 times per week), so they don't look nearly that new, though.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Which set :-D

I have a 35-40 year old set of Golden Bear blades, a 30 year old set of perimeter weighted MacGregor graphite shaft irons which to this day are my favorites. The set of Apex plus Hogan's my dad cast aside for these Spalding Executive irons that I also have. Both sets are from the mid 90s. The Apex clubs I'd swing with confidence any day. Then there's my TaylorMade RAC clubs which are maybe 10? I just picked up a set of Cobra AP irons thinking they'd out perform the Taylor's. I was wrong. Those cobras have to be 8-10 as well. 

Mine are 19 years old, though they sat idle for almost 15 years, and they're almost certainly going to be replaced this winter even though I am still hitting the old ones reasonably well and they're in excellent condition. My eyesight, and hand-eye coordination will never be what they once were, time to give new technology and more forgiveness a try.

Edited by Midpack

7 years old.  Gotta be close to 900 rounds.  It's about time....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I replaced the PW and 9i over the winter on my set due to face wear, but basically I've used my current set for a little more than 3 years. Im finicky about all my clubs with the exception of wedges, so i don't like to change it up too often. Probably due to switch them out in the next couple seasons. I actually use the same exact shafts in my irons from set to set. Only the heads change. Ive had my current set of shafts for over a decade. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

My everyday irons are Bridgestone J40s that were made five or six years ago.  I bought them used two years ago (in like-new condition).  

I also have a set of MacGregor Tourney PMB muscle backs that are around twenty years old.  I love to get them out and hit them once in a while.  I think they're the beautiful golf clubs ever made.  But, like most of the beautiful women I've known in my lifetime, they can be very unforgiving if you don't contact just the right spot.  If you know what I mean.  :whistle:  

Irons I play...

Main set: Callaway X20 Tours, made circa 2008 and acquired in 2011 (mint condition). Started with PX 5.0 shafts, reshafted with NS Pro 8950 GH, R-flex.

Backup set: TM SLDR, 2014. Came with KBS C-Taper 90 R-flex shafts, a proprietary item quite similar to KBS Tour 90, but launches lower.

I also have a set of Nike Vapor Speed irons w/ KBS C-Taper 105 R-flex shafts from 2015. New clubs I played for about 6 rounds, but the shafts are just too long. I plan to sell them.

I have three other sets I keep for sentimental reasons: Ping Eye2 clones from 1994 // MacGregor MTs from 1973 // and some PowerBilt woods and TopFlite irons from 1960s in a custom leather bag from the era (bag in great shape). I never played the PB and TF, just an interesting mix of period clubs.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have 2 sets.  My ap1's are 714 vintage, and my jpx 850 forged irons were introduced in 2014 as well -- I'm good for now. 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

1 hour ago, WUTiger said:

Irons I play...

Main set: Callaway X20 Tours, made circa 2008 and acquired in 2011 (mint condition). Started with PX 5.0 shafts, reshafted with NS Pro 8950 GH, R-flex.

Backup set: TM SLDR, 2014. Came with KBS C-Taper 90 R-flex shafts, a proprietary item quite similar to KBS Tour 90, but launches lower.

I also have a set of Nike Vapor Speed irons w/ KBS C-Taper 105 R-flex shafts from 2015. New clubs I played for about 6 rounds, but the shafts are just too long. I plan to sell them.

I have three other sets I keep for sentimental reasons: Ping Eye2 clones from 1994 // MacGregor MTs from 1973 // and some PowerBilt woods and TopFlite irons from 1960s in a custom leather bag from the era (bag in great shape). I never played the PB and TF, just an interesting mix of period clubs.

Ooh...bet those Nike's are nice.  Ctaper regular at 105g?...are they the ctaper lites?  Stiff is what, 120 and x was 130. 

Anyway, my irons are 2 years old. Previous to that my eye 2 irons were from 1986.  I noticed the shafts were now better for me, clubs more forgiving, hitting shorter irons into greens with more control.  More GIR per round and consistently lower scores now with the new Ping ie-1 irons.

Upgrade would be good.  Plus balls from this era work better with clubs from this era...that's how it's all tested.

2009 - My alternate irons, MX-100 and MX-200. Both sets reshafted, regripped and in great shape.

2011 - My current irons, JPX-800 HD. Bought them because I could not resist! Most forgiving clubs I have ever used. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I'm currently playing a set of 1994 +/-  Cobra Oversize Tour irons. So far I've played 3 of my best rounds ever with these irons, two 79's at the end of August and a 78 a couple of weeks later. I'm usually in the mid 80's to low 90's.

I sort of went "backwards" with respect to irons.. I was using my set of 2008 Cobra UFI's and last year I blew the face plate insert out of my gap wedge and the sand wedge was on it's way out in the same manner, At that point I decided I was not going to buy another set of clubs with face inserts or chunks of plastic, etc attached to the heads. Found the Oversize Tours used and in really nice condition.

I also have a back up set older than that... It's a set (2 - SW) of green dot Ping Eye's in beryllium copper. I think they're from the mid 80's.  Also found them used. In fact they were barely used, if used at all. There wasn't a scratch on any of the heads and the grips were / are brand new.

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

Ooh...bet those Nike's are nice.  Ctaper regular at 105g?...are they the ctaper lites?  Stiff is what, 120 and x was 130. 

That's right, C-Taper Lite 105. (I was going from memory in first response.)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My irons are 12 years old (Bridgestone j33 CB).  I got them new when they were just released and have had them in the bag ever since.  I used to have to test new and prototype clubs as part of my job, so I've hit other stuff, but my playing set doesn't change much.  My driver and wedges are much newer, but when I get locked into a set of irons, I'll play them until I wear them out.  My prior set (which I still have) came out in '90 or '91, although I didn't get them until '98 or '99, and played with them until '05.

my_j33.jpg.f907cec8cae31018202d6872d02e0ccd.jpg

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

18 hours ago, David in FL said:

7 years old.  Gotta be close to 900 rounds.  It's about time....

I wish I had THAT problem! :content:

Mine are 10 years old and I play anywhere between 10-18 rounds per year

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

My irons are about 5 years old now. It's about time to replace them. I think the golf shafts are compromised. Its either a fault in the KBS design or somehow water got into the golf shaft to rust it out a bit. The new Mizuno's and the Srixon irons look amazing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!