IGNORED

What do you consider the most stupid rule in golf?

rstyle
Note: This thread is 3524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

FWIW, I personally find golf played by the rules much more enjoyable than just wandering around a golf course randomly hitting or moving my ball around as the mood strikes me.  Apart from a greater sense of satisfaction, it gives me a sense of being connected to the long history and traditions of this great game.

In the US I guess I felt a bit more connected to the game. And I feel connected to the courses I play the most, trying to maintain them as much as possible. But here the combination of almost no effort to repair ball marks, local rules placing OB markers SOLELY to increase profits by speeding up play thus allowing yet more golfers into the course, and OB from the tee areas consistently 'requiring' dropping from a drop zone and playing 4 (something dedicated golfers ignore unless in a club tournament), well, it gets frustrating. So rather than spend the time repairing several ball marks if a better line exists from that perspective only, I move the ball. And repair those marks at my leisure while waiting my turn. So I am not wandering around moving the ball as it suits me and I get your point there.

not being able to fix spike marks on a green.thats just unfair.you shouldn't have to putt over something on the green that's not how the green is supposed to be.ob rule is just stupid and slows down play.people having to retee slows pace of play more than anything.finally not being able to replace a plugged ball in hazard when you can anywhere else.shouldnt matter if its a hazard or not,if a ball is plugged in the ground ,you should be able to replace it close as possible.

not being able to fix spike marks on a green.thats just unfair.you shouldn't have to putt over something on the green that's not how the green is supposed to be.ob rule is just stupid and slows down play.people having to retee slows pace of play more than anything.finally not being able to replace a plugged ball in hazard when you can anywhere else.shouldnt matter if its a hazard or not,if a ball is plugged in the ground ,you should be able to replace it close as possible.

Not using the Caps key to start a sentence or space bar after a period is stupid too... it slows down reading.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The game of golf is played around one rule, play it as it lies. Divots stink but, you have to play it as it lies... To me the nuttiest rule would be like... If I were to hit a ball and catch a tree root or something when I hit it as it lies... And it slightly bent the club, I have to take it out of play? Because it's altered now? Strange one. I don't think you should unless it was altered on purpose? Seriously though, I thought the rule where the guy lost the Masters because of a scorecard mistake..was pathetic..I think that one has been changed now though So I think all the rules are perfect for the perfect game..

The game of golf is played around one rule, play it as it lies. Divots stink but, you have to play it as it lies...

To me the nuttiest rule would be like... If I were to hit a ball and catch a tree root or something when I hit it as it lies... And it slightly bent the club, I have to take it out of play? Because it's altered now? Strange one. I don't think you should unless it was altered on purpose?

You are mistaken about that.  Rule 4-3 reads:

4-3. Damaged Clubs: Repair And Replacement

a. Damage in Normal Course of Play

If, during a stipulated round, a player’s club is damaged in the normal course of play, he may:

(i) use the club in its damaged state for the remainder of the stipulated round; or

(ii) without unduly delaying play, repair it or have it repaired; or

(iii) as an additional option available only if the club is unfit for play, replace the damaged club with any club. The replacement of a club must not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7) and must not be made by borrowing any club selected for play by any other person playing on the course or by assembling components carried by or for the player during the stipulated round.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 4-3a:

See Penalty Statements for Rule 4-4a or b, and Rule 4-4c.

Note: A club is unfit for play if it is substantially damaged, e.g., the shaft is dented, significantly bent or breaks into pieces; the clubhead becomes loose, detached or significantly deformed; or the grip becomes loose. A club is not unfit for play solely because the club’s lie or loft has been altered, or the clubhead is scratched.

The player may use the damaged club for the remainder of the round, but he cannot begin a round with a club if the damage causes it to be nonconforming.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!