IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

I saw this thread last October and considered this a fairly tough challenge for most of us with indexes above 7.0 or so.  Surprisingly, I did the deed on October 10, 2017.  I played a local family run course (Rolling Meadows, 6,368 yards, 70.9/133, par 70).  As it only has three par 5's, the achievement could be considered a bit tainted.  I don't believe I did it again during the 2017 season (ending 11/1/2017).

Fast forward to 2018.  I have been struggling quite a bit this year but my game has started to come around slowly.  On May 10, 2018, I played Pierce Lake (6,105 yards, 69.6/131, par 72).  Pierce Lake has five par 5's (and five par 3's).  My 76 was primarily a result of hitting 11 greens in regulation (my average is around 7-8).  My misses were manageable and I had -0- penalty strokes.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've come within 1 hole of this challenge 3 times this year. Today I shot a 76, but I bogeyed a par 5 after I topped my drive. It was actually a really good bogey, because I couldn't even advance it 100 yards with my second shot. I was on the forward tees after 2 shots! 

I feel like this should happen for me pretty soon. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I just realized that my US Open qualifier was a no 6's round.  Kind of cool to get it on that stage!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I just realized that my US Open qualifier was a no 6's round.  Kind of cool to get it on that stage!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This jinxed me 😊. I had just read some posts here and played in a league this past Thursday and started with two 6's, so I was 5 over after 2 on a challenging course. I then played the last 7 holes 3 over. Brutal.

Lost it on 18 this time :pound:

Probably okay, though, because it would have been an 81 with no sixes, which is not my best effort.

-- Daniel

WOW, that took a LOT of rounds.  I had to play super safe the whole round.  I VERY much like to take chances and go for the hero shot.  This is an exercise in NOT doing that....(this course had a Par4 at 270 and hitting driver is just stupid based on all the hazards up there).  I've never hit so many hybrids and irons on short 4's on any round.  but it paid off.

Only three par 5's on this course, and all long so had to play for a good approach on each.  Though normally I miss this award due to a lost ball on a par 4 or just a meltdown or penalty on a hole where I can't afford it.  Par3's and 4's never really was a factor - just one of those days.

Long time since I haven't lost a ball during a round.  Nice to bring them all home.

That's a really nice challenge.  thanks for the idea.  It makes for a good practice goal when playing solo

Bill - 

Shot 79 Saturday with three 6's.  All on par-5's.  :doh:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
4 hours ago, rehmwa said:

WOW, that took a LOT of rounds.

So you did it?

Or you can just confirm it here.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 hours ago, iacas said:

Or you can just confirm it here.

I did, I just came here to bloviate about it.  thanks

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

No Sixes 6-2-18

VGscore.thumb.jpg.3543147328de03c863c192e556aff069.jpg

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

• Administrator
1 minute ago, coachjimsc said:

No Sixes 6-2-18

VGscore.thumb.jpg.3543147328de03c863c192e556aff069.jpg

I see one right there to the left of a "3" in red! :-)

Award granted!

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I see one right there to the left of a "3" in red! :-)

That is the "good" 6 though. ;-)

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

• 2 weeks later...

Read about this challenge last week never thought I would accomplish it.  My goal this year was to either break 40 or 80.  I walk 9 holes most mornings and hardly ever play 18 except when I get to play on Saturday's.  Well today I played 9 holes at another course,  We got finished around 11:30 and thought I don't have a lot going on at the office I may grab a hamburger and go to my course and play 9.  Well I shot a 40 on the front 9 (record for me and no sixes!)  So I just had to play the back 9.  I shot 38!!! Broke 80 for the first time and finished with no sixes!!  I almost screwed up 18, hit a decent drive but topped and pulled my second shot.  3rd shot came just left of the green and had to chip on the green and landed about 7; from the hole.  Sunk the putt for bogey 5!!

I am so excited to accomplish both of these goals today.  I have been play 3 1/2 years and still have a long way to go!  But so stroked about my round today.

Here is my game golf of the round  http://www.gamegolf.com/player/randyrives/round/2224539

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, rrives said:

Here is my game golf of the round  http://www.gamegolf.com/player/randyrives/round/2224539

Congrats!

Finally did it, after getting really close a bunch of times! http://www.gamegolf.com/player/DeadManUofM/round/2227638

Had to make an 8 foot putt on 18 to save my 5. I made a bit of mess of that par 5 with a weak drive, a bad 3 wood, and then a really bad wedge. Made up for with it a good putt to end though.

-- Daniel

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Finally did it, after getting really close a bunch of times! http://www.gamegolf.com/player/DeadManUofM/round/2227638

Had to make an 8 foot putt on 18 to save my 5. I made a bit of mess of that par 5 with a weak drive, a bad 3 wood, and then a really bad wedge. Made up for with it a good putt to end though.

All yours! Congrats!

• Thumbs Up 1