IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

No Sixes Today.... below is the link to Game Golf .. as you will see as you go through the holes, NO 6s!!  Love the challenges you put out, helps with my motivation.

If you click on the Scorecard on the lower right side of the page you will see the Scorecard with no Sixes!!  What challenge next??

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/JuanTheGolfer/round/2239310

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

made a 7 on the first hole (par 5) the other day en-route to my second best score ever (89).  It was the only 7 of the day so I came close to making the no 7's.  The good news was it was my first ever round without a triple or worse and I shot a 41 on the back 9 which is a personal best.

My game is just so damn erratic right now.  The day before I shot a 104 😞

I think between yesterday and today I feel like I can do this at some point.

Yesterday:  parred all the par-5s, but had sixes on two par-4s and one par-3.

Today:  nothing worse than bogey, but bogeyed 4 of the 5 par-5s (different course).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Although I achieved the challenge a while back, I just wanted to mention that 2 of my recent rounds were my lowest scores this year (74 and 75) and they had 1 and 2 6s respectively: a double on a par 4 on each and a bogey on a par 5 for the 75.  Yes, this is a tricky challenge! 😉

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I occasionally stop by this site and saw this thread.  I thought... how hard could it be?  I got a bogie on the par 5 SECOND HOLE!   Still shot my first under par round in two years.  It took 4 birds to do it.  I'll take a 71 and  bogie 6 any day.  ha!

I have been thinking about this for a bit and looking at scorecards from the season.  I have a practice round on Wednesday and two tournaments coming up later this month.  I have a few ideas for holes I've been averaging over bogey on this season to get them down to bogeys or better (one par-3 and three par-4s).  I believe I can make pars on all the par-5s on my home course if I am a bit smarter on them, and even if I still get a 6 on a par-4 somewhere, it's probably still good for me overall to work on taking advantage of the par-5s.  For that matter, if I par every par-5, bogey every par-3, make a 5 on the four hardest (for me) par-4s, that's 51 strokes on 11 holes (only three par-5s).  Parring every remaining par-4 gets me a 79 (not a super likely outcome just yet) and one par + 6 bogeys means playing to my handicap.  And who is to say I won't do better than bogey on the eight holes I'm mentally conceding to it already?

Even if I don't, I think I understand better the intent of this challenge and the game-planning I'm supposed to get out of it. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, sjduffers said:

Although I achieved the challenge a while back, I just wanted to mention that 2 of my recent rounds were my lowest scores this year (74 and 75) and they had 1 and 2 6s respectively: a double on a par 4 on each and a bogey on a par 5 for the 75.  Yes, this is a tricky challenge! 😉

Yes, it's really tricky. I think I've had 3 rounds on regulation courses my whole golfing "career" that had no 6s. I have probably ~15 rounds at this point with one 6.

If you play a course with long par 5s, that makes it tough. Getting down in 3 from even 100 yards is not a given for even low handicappers.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

If you play a course with long par 5s, that makes it tough. Getting down in 3 from even 100 yards is not a given for even low handicappers.

Yea, I'm not good enough just yet for a no sixes round, but even if I was, there is at least one legit three-shot hole on all the courses I usually play.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 hours ago, billchao said:

Yea, I'm not good enough just yet for a no sixes round, but even if I was, there is at least one legit three-shot hole on all the courses I usually play.

I played a par 3 course last week and did it! 😛 Barely!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would touch base by May or June but I haven't even been close to making the no sixes challenge! I have played pretty well this season and have lowered my index by a stroke but the sixes are always present on my scorecard. Last year I spent quite a bit of time practicing chipping and putting and I believe it really helped my scoring. Three of my past four rounds I have broken 80. I have only been to the range one time this year! My chipping and putting have been consistently good this season so I'd best be going to the range to work on the mid-irons and woods to get them into better shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally beat the 6 challenge and it came in a tournament!

Narrowly avoided a 6 on the opening hole after hooking my drive into the fescue and only being able to hit it out about 5 yards.

Driver was key for the rest of the round as I hit 9/13 fairways. That gave me good approach shots and I ended up with 15 GIRs.

Shots of the day included a 62 yard bunker shot on the Par 5 number 7 that I managed to get within 25 feet of the pin and 6 foot left to right breaking putt for bogey to keep the doubles off the scorecard on the Par 3 number 13.

I had a 20 foot birdie putt on 18 for a shot at no fives on the back nine which would have been cool but still excited to have finally completed this. I have had numerous rounds where I take a 6 within the last 3 holes, so it was nice to finish strong.

cranberryh.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Well my course is a par 70 with only 3 par 5s so it is a bit easier for me. It’s rated 71 with a slope of 132 andI usually score around 73-74 ish.

That being said, I don’t birdie many holes since I never make my putts. I usually birdie the two par 5s that are under 550, but there is one that is 590 and is pretty challenging.

I had one round where I finished with a 68 with two bogeys, two birdies, and an eagle on one of the par 5s.

What sucks is I still lost a ball..

Edited by A Gap Wedge

2 hours ago, A Gap Wedge said:

That being said, I don’t birdie many holes since I never make my putts.

How far away are you putting from?  There are some distances that feel like we should make them, because we see them made on TV, but even the tour pros rarely make from outside of 15'.  Don't get down on yourself if you're two-putting from 30', for example.

-- Michael | My swing! 

13 hours ago, Shindig said:

Don't get down on yourself if you're two-putting from 30', for example.

Usually around 10-20 feet. I usually leave it a couple inches short or long for birdie. Example, I might stick 8-9 approach shots <20, and another 2 within 8 feet and only come out with 3-4 birdies. 

I finally did this. I have had a lot of rounds where I've thought to myself something like "huh, I haven't had a six yet today" and bam! Six. Well today I didn't do that. Only close hole was 14 - 558 par 5 and I missed the fairway, missed the fairway again and then played to the middle of the green from about 140 in the rough. Left myself 50 feet to a tight back left pin position and rolled my first putt down to about 5 feet and made the second. And now I can stop thinking about this.

1469162411_sixeschallenge.png.00080b11e53abd4152ca63bd5d81a335.png

Edited by Ty_Webb
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

And now I can stop thinking about this.

First, congratulations, and don't forget to post in the accomplishments thread if you haven't already.

My plan if I get it isn't to stop thinking about it, other than the "darn, challenge busted" moment won't happen once I have it.  This challenge, even though I don't quite think it's meant for players of my (in)ability just yet, has caused me to actively think of ways to remove "higher than 6" from the set of likely possibilities.  When I make several sixes on a hole at my home course, I have been now pondering how to avoid them in the future.  This has led to a strategy change on some holes and, since the change, improved scores on most.  

And then there's the one hole I was convinced I couldn't hit driver on and have now hit 4-wood into trouble two times in a row.  Gotta decide if I go down a club or up a club next time I play it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

2 minutes ago, Shindig said:

First, congratulations, and don't forget to post in the accomplishments thread if you haven't already.

My plan if I get it isn't to stop thinking about it, other than the "darn, challenge busted" moment won't happen once I have it.  This challenge, even though I don't quite think it's meant for players of my (in)ability just yet, has caused me to actively think of ways to remove "higher than 6" from the set of likely possibilities.  When I make several sixes on a hole at my home course, I have been now pondering how to avoid them in the future.  This has led to a strategy change on some holes and, since the change, improved scores on most.  

And then there's the one hole I was convinced I couldn't hit driver on and have now hit 4-wood into trouble two times in a row.  Gotta decide if I go down a club or up a club next time I play it.

Well that sounds like a common sense way to do it. I get tentative and cautious and wind up overprotecting. Consequently I put myself in positions where if I hit one bad shot I'm making six, where if I were more aggressive and played freely I would still be able to make 5 even with a bad shot or even two. I have made more sixes since I started thinking about this challenge than I ever did beforehand. Basically in my 20 rounds prior to @iacas posting this challenge, I had about 8 of them with no sixes. It's taken me nearly a year to manage another one. My head is a fun place to be on the golf course...

41 minutes ago, Shindig said:

My plan if I get it isn't to stop thinking about it, other than the "darn, challenge busted" moment won't happen once I have it.  This challenge, even though I don't quite think it's meant for players of my (in)ability just yet, has caused me to actively think of ways to remove "higher than 6" from the set of likely possibilities.  When I make several sixes on a hole at my home course, I have been now pondering how to avoid them in the future. 

I agree with the bolded part of your statement. 

I don't think that it's a great strategy to make avoiding a "6" an active part of your strategy while you are actually playing a round of golf. Much like standing over a tee shot thinking "don't go OB left" is a sure-fire way to snap hook one OB, trying to play for the goal of avoiding 6's will likely lead to tentative, bad golf. Both of the times, I accomplished this challenge, I didn't even realize it until I was reviewing the scorecard afterward. 

That said, I do think there is value in assessing your round, looking at where those 6's popped up and pondering if there is something you could have done differently, beyond simply hitting better shots.