IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

After somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 rounds I have finally completed this challenge. I had to shoot even par to do it. I thought it would take me about 20 rounds, but I was off by a factor of 2. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
On 7/30/2018 at 10:33 PM, Greenshirt100 said:

Finally beat the 6 challenge and it came in a tournament!

Congrats!

On 7/31/2018 at 7:54 AM, A Gap Wedge said:

Well my course is a par 70 with only 3 par 5s so it is a bit easier for me. It’s rated 71 with a slope of 132 andI usually score around 73-74 ish.

So do you have a round that you'd like to submit here to count for the award?

6 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

I finally did this.

Congrats!

2 hours ago, mchepp said:

After somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 rounds I have finally completed this challenge. I had to shoot even par to do it. I thought it would take me about 20 rounds, but I was off by a factor of 2. 

Congrats too!

Three awards added.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 hours ago, Big C said:

I agree with the bolded part of your statement. 

I don't think that it's a great strategy to make avoiding a "6" an active part of your strategy while you are actually playing a round of golf. Much like standing over a tee shot thinking "don't go OB left" is a sure-fire way to snap hook one OB, trying to play for the goal of avoiding 6's will likely lead to tentative, bad golf. Both of the times, I accomplished this challenge, I didn't even realize it until I was reviewing the scorecard afterward. 

That said, I do think there is value in assessing your round, looking at where those 6's popped up and pondering if there is something you could have done differently, beyond simply hitting better shots.

I have come to believe there is no strategy involved. Period. Well, unless patience would qualify as strategy. I think about it every time I am driving up to play. There is is no unthinking it for me. It seems not to matter what I 'think' anyway.

One thing this challenge has helped me is to stay much more disciplined during a round. Not necessarily super focussed. I also have a renewed sense of how my swing needs to improve. I had receded quite a bit and have steadied. Hopefully I will get my no sixes before the season ends this year.

Vishal S.

For me, no "6" means playing intelligently.

Is my goal to score or pretend I'm Greg Norman (master of the "go for it" shot. Yesterday's Phil) ?

Based on my recent scoring, I am not very intelligent for about 4 holes per round.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

On 8/7/2018 at 3:38 AM, iacas said:

So do you have a round that you'd like to submit here to count for the award?

What’s an award? Is that one of those symbols that shows up in the awards box under a persons comment? How do I submit it?

• Administrator
4 hours ago, A Gap Wedge said:

What’s an award? Is that one of those symbols that shows up in the awards box under a persons comment? How do I submit it?

https://thesandtrap.com/awards

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/get_achievements/

There's some more information.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've been playing kind of horribly this year. Not hitting the ball very consistently at all. Until Tuesday night.

4 5- 38

5 4 4 3 4 5- 37 75

The first no sixes round I have ever had. I hit 8/18 GIR. Had a makeable putt for par on every hole. Lipped out two birdie putts from about 20' on 14 and 17. Could have been better. But it was about the highest I could have shot.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I've been playing kind of horribly this year. Not hitting the ball very consistently at all. Until Tuesday night.

4 5- 38

5 4 4 3 4 5- 37 75

The first no sixes round I have ever had. I hit 8/18 GIR. Had a makeable putt for par on every hole. Lipped out two birdie putts from about 20' on 14 and 17. Could have been better. But it was about the highest I could have shot.

Congrats! I've given you the award!

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Congrats! I've given you the award!

Thanks Erik... a lot of GamePlanning was involved. I was out of position off the tee on two of the par-5s but still managed to make par.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I have to say this have been tough for me all year to try not to have a six on the card.  I was curious and going through all my score cards, I found one from exactly 4 years to the today where I didn't have a "6." It was extremely surprising that I didn't have one sooner considering some of my low rounds but I savaged scores with more birdies.

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I quickly went through a bunch of score cards for the past 3 years and only noticed 1 where I had no 6's and it wasn't my best round. I think it was a 78 or 79. I play some courses that do have challenging par 5's. One of them is definitely a lay-up hole for everyone except an exceptional golfer. There is a large pond that meets up to nearly the entire front fringe of the green. The green has a severe back to front slope. Center of green usually gives you a sloping downhill put.  Bogey feels like par.

I have tended to play conservatively to get my score down. Par 5's I would play a couple of 3H shots with a wedge to the green with a 2 putt par and an occasional birdie. After reading LSW I have been more prone to pull out the driver and try to get there in two.

I was having a good round today and thanks to some great reads and putts I was 6 free until the 14th hole... I pushed my drive right but had a shot, hit my 3 iron to the front berm of the elevated green. I had a relatively easy uphill chip to the that was 40 yards. I thought, easy five, maybe four if I get it close. I duff the chip 10 yards. I hit the second (past the hole of course) to about 15 feet. Great read and missed the putt by a quarter of a turn. The only 6, went par-par-bogey finish.... Golf is hard. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Came oh so close on the no 7's version.  Got to the par 5 18th hole with a shot at no 7's and turned to jelly.

Blocked a drive right, duffed my punch back to the fairway for two, hit a good 5 iron back out into play in 3, hit a 3 wood a little fat and came up a wedge short in 4, pulled the wedge a little left of the green for 5, lipped out on my chip in for 6.......saved double with a 7 footer coming back so it wasn't a total blow-up hole.

Dang!

I was going through my previous score cards (22 rounds), and found I had eight 6s written down. Had three in one round. 

My struggle is turning those high number of 5s into 4s. The 6s are not the problem. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I am not sure if this counts, but I had no 6's....however I had two 5's on par 3's...which feels worse than taking a 6 on a par 5.  4 birdies though...

3 5 5 4 5 3 5 3 5 - 38 +2

4 5 4 3 3 4 5 5 5 - 38 +3

5 over 76.

I was surprised that I actually played this well as my last two rounds I scored 90 and 95 and frankly embarrassing as it was my worst two rounds of the year and in an event.  Yikes!

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Nutsmacker said:

I am not sure if this counts, but I had no 6's....however I had two 5's on par 3's...which feels worse than taking a 6 on a par 5.  4 birdies though...

3 5 5 4 5 3 5 3 5 - 38 +2

4 5 4 3 3 4 5 5 5 - 38 +3

5 over 76.

I was surprised that I actually played this well as my last two rounds I scored 90 and 95 and frankly embarrassing as it was my worst two rounds of the year and in an event.  Yikes!

Congrats. I've given you the award!

Yesterday I made it. 74 (37/37) par 72. Only 2 par 5’s and made par at both. I hit 13/18 GIR. No 3 putts. 2 bogeys and 1 birdie a side. 

Today I missed it. Shot 77 (38/39) but took a 6 at the par 5 2nd. Hit a good drive. Had 190 or so center and blocked a 5 iron. Pin high right in the rough. Tried to flop one down there from a downhill lie with green sloping away. Basically I was screwed. Shot rolled through into bunker and short sided. Instead of taking my medicine I hit a bunker shot that doesn’t clear the rough. Chip and putt. 6 when after my drive I was thinking 3 or 4!

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

Yesterday I made it. 74 (37/37) par 72. Only 2 par 5’s and made par at both. I hit 13/18 GIR. No 3 putts. 2 bogeys and 1 birdie a side. 

Congrats!