IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

Round with NO 6s

Course: Wigwam, Litchfield AZ, Red Course, club tees, 6291 yards 69.3 117

Started out with 20 minutes on a range and 10 minutes on a practice green before playing 18.

I felt well warmed up with most of my clubs.  My driver and 4h were on fire. My 6i and 7i were very predictable and my wedges felt solid. I decided not to play my 7i/w or 3h today and left them to sleep in the car. Basically, good choices as I could not feel I missed out on not having them at hand.

While I got my second sub 90 of the year (86), it never felt like as that great of a round.

Good moments: I holed a chip in from 15', no triple bogies, only 28 putts , 6 Pars, 10 Bogies, 2 double bogies, no penalties, 12 GIR, 11 Fairways.  And, the wedges were solid. No slices or wild pull hooks.

Not so good moments: missed a number of putts on Par 3s to end up with 5s on the holes.  Was often short on the second shots to require a third or even a fourth to reach the greens.  I got to get working on getting the ball closer with my hybrids and pitching wedge.

While it felt somewhat average during the play, when I totaled up the round I was happy about the score; I was not really watching the score, as I played each hole as if it were a separate entity from what went before. Before the totals, I though perhaps mid 90s.

Out: 42, In: 44

Big Shock: NO 6s!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, DrMJG said:

Out: 42, In: 44

Big Shock: NO 6s!!!!!!!!

Awesome! That index should be coming down with score like that.

Edited by Carl3

My round was going so well. Mostly pars and bogeys, but no sixes.

Tee up on the 18th, a relatively straight par 4, but with OB down the right. Only went and put it OB didn’t I??

Re-tee, nicely in the fairway for 3, about 120yds out with a ridge in front of the green (can’t see green but can see flag).

Hit a thinned 9iron for dead centre of the green, but think it’s flown past. Walk up there and my ball is nowhere to be seen 😞

Mate goes to tend the pin for a long putt, while I look for my ball...

IT WAS IN THE HOLE! Saved par and NO SIXES! Didn’t break 80 (scored 82), mind but happy with no sixes 😄

It finally warmed up around here this weekend so I didn't need 3 layers of clothes to golf. So much easier to swing! I managed to get no 6's for the first time ever on Saturday. Usually I double a par 4 or bogey one of the par 5's but I guess all the GolfTec lessons over winter and the drills paid off. I broke 80 5 times last year (a PB for me) but my goal for 2019 is to have 10+ rounds in the 70's this year. So this is a great start! 

image.thumb.png.4acefb946964c49b7c823c509b2dacee.png

• Like 2

I've never really thought about "no sixes". I've had quite a few rounds without sixes and quite honestly, when I read it, my thoughts were, no problem. So, Saturday, I bogied the first par 5, #2. No sixes the rest of the way, but now, it's on my mind. Carding a 6 on a par 5 is like kissing your sister. And it was a 3 putt. ugh

Since I'm not gifted in the technology department, I'll probably have to list off the holes instead of pasting the card. lol

Me either. Ive shot bogey free rounds before so ive done this, but I've never thought about a no 6 challenge. Come to think off it the last round i played i might of done this. I only shot 76 but i don't think i bogeyed any of the 3 par 5s. 

Taking care of the par 5's would seem to be key to doing it. I don't make doubles on par 4's very often and to get a triple on a par 3 there would have to be some kind of OB or penalty situation going on.  

Well, I finally did it, and like a few others in this thread, it happened while (because?) I was not even thinking about it.  It never crossed my mind.  I haven't played much golf lately (once in 2019 prior to Saturday) and so I had no expectations.  I hit the ball pretty well, and never really made any big mistakes on Par 4's, so no risk of a 6 there.  That leaves the inevitable bogey or two on a par 5 that always ends up sinking me.  Somehow I avoided it this time.  All of them, though, were struggles so had I been thinking of this challenge, I probably would've blown it.

Highlight was 18;  Smashed a perfect drive down the middle and had 245 or so to the green.  I'm not comfortable with my 3 wood these days so I just wanted to get a hybrid down there as far as I could ... and I "shanked" it 45-50 degrees right and about 90 yards or so into the next fairway. (I think I hit it off the tip of the toe, nearly whiffed it)  Recovered nicely back into the fairway leaving myself 78 yards.  I had to get up and down from there to complete the challenge (although, again, I wasn't considering it at the time) AND to give myself a chance at beating my nephew one last time before he leaves me in the dust.  And I hit that wedge straight at the pin leaving a 3' straight uphill putt, which I made to tie my nephew, and then a few minutes later it also dawned on me that I completed the no 6s challenge. :)

Bonus was that I shot a 79 (with no birdies and a really careless and dumb double on a par 3) which I'll take all day long after not playing for 3 full months.  Apparently I should not play more often. 😏

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Five rounds so far this year. 3/29 two sixes, 84. 4/5 three sixes, one seven, 89. 4/8 two sixes, 84. 4/9 three sixes, 84. Bad weather for over a week! 4/19 one six, 81!  4/24 one six, 81! Hope this keeps up! Course is only 5900 yards but the ground has been soft and muddy. Greens really got better those last two rounds. Weather is supposed to take a turn for the worst, possible a few inches of snow if cold enough. Ground is warming so maybe we won't miss more than a week this time. Last year we didn't get out until early May!

Screenshot_20190429-200704_Hole19.thumb.jpg.71faa94b8293d5a8abce55a3d858125d.jpgScreenshot_20190429-200726_Hole19.thumb.jpg.4c7cc901106d060edf04ba64afcd076b.jpg

No sixes! I don't know if I've ever done this before but it was my lowest round since 2012! I would call it a great step towards my goal of breaking par this summer.

This round looks a lot like my other rounds this year, the difference being that I turned my 2-3 worst holes into at worst a bogey. Blow up holes are nearly completely mental for me and also completely avoidable. Don't take the hero shot. Don't always take dead aim at the pin. I can nearly always get up and in in 3 strokes from within 135 yards, so worst case scenario find an angle to get within 135 yards. Even if I can only get within 200 yards, with a good lie I am still going to hole out in 3 strokes most of the time.

:whistle:

9 hours ago, jshots said:

Even if I can only get within 200 yards, with a good lie I am still going to hole out in 3 strokes most of the time.

Now that is very impressive

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

Congratulations to @mellison24, @Grass Destruction, @Golfingdad, and @jshots for their recent addition to this esteemed group of "No Sixes" Challenge completionists.

FWIW I don't think "not thinking about it" has much to do with it. I think about it all the time and rarely make a six.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

Now that is very impressive

Its possible that I'm being a bit optimistic at exactly 200 yards :P

:whistle:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2017 at 4:45 AM, iacas said:

It’s also fine to post in it when you come close but lose the Six Challenge on the last hole or in an excruciating fashion or something.

I am getting closer to finishing this challenge and it is on my mind.

My latest round at my home course, I parred every par-5 (all were GIR, too.  All hit with a partial swing with an iron, akin to the flighted shot, too), but I had two holes over 5: 

* I played the second par-4 really poorly and had a 7 (I played two balls at one point due to not knowing if I got relief from a situation;  my GG recorded the yes ball, and I have since found out I don't get relief, and that ball was a 7). 

* On the par-4 5th, I hit my tee shot into the trees and then punched out, advancing my ball to where I was hitting a flighted PW into the green.  I hit the middle of the green but 3-putted :-( 

Every remaining par-4 and all the par-3s were a 5 or better.  So I'm getting there.  I believe this is the closest I have come.   I have now at one point or another in recent memory had no-sixes on the first nine and no-sixes on the second nine, both at my home course, but not in the same round. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

No sixes yesterday, even with a ball OB off the tee on a relatively short par-4.

After the worst drive in the history of golf, I missed the green, but holed a 20’ “putt” from the fringe.

Silly game.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

7 hours ago, David in FL said:

After the worst drive in the history of golf,

I doubt that!   We've all seen and done as bad or worse.

Congrats on your accomplishment

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Hi all,

Been away for a little while due to other commitments but looking forward to playing the first full round of this year so will definitely give this a go.

I've had a round with only one blow up hole before so got fairly close, but due to not playing on a course for over a year I'm not expecting to achieve this tomorrow,but will give it a go.

Rob - London, England

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 Driver

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 3 Hybrid

:nike: VRS Forged Irons

:titleist: Pro V1

Finally! After 18+ months of trying, I recorded a No-Sixes round last weekend. All told: 9 bogeys, 8 pars, 1 birdie = 79 (par 71). It wasn't a spectacular round, just fairly steady. One under on the three par 5s; eight over on the 11 par 4s, one over on the four par 3s. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 5/27/2019 at 8:11 PM, georgep said:

Finally! After 18+ months of trying, I recorded a No-Sixes round last weekend. All told: 9 bogeys, 8 pars, 1 birdie = 79 (par 71). It wasn't a spectacular round, just fairly steady. One under on the three par 5s; eight over on the 11 par 4s, one over on the four par 3s. 

Oh man I missed this until today! Congrats George! Badge awarded!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets