IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

FINALLY...this challenge has been in the back of my mind the past year or so, I haven't gone into a round thinking about it as a goal, but usually somewhere during the round I remember it.  First thought of it today was when I made the turn and noticed I had no 6's on the scorecard, which put a little more pressure on myself on the back, but was able to finally beat the challenge.  Today was the 4th full round with my new irons (TM P790s), minus the par 3 performance, I was hitting them really well.

And a thank you to everyone who recommended Pure DTX grips, I have never seen these in a store, but have seen other versions so was able to at least touch a different version, when I did my iron fitting I rolled the dice and had Pure DTXs put on, absolutely love them, getting ready to order them for the rest of my clubs.

image.thumb.png.83853d6d3201f940492c08b5b56f8e23.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Gus
---------------

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, JGus said:

FINALLY...this challenge has been in the back of my mind the past year or so, I haven't gone into a round thinking about it as a goal, but usually somewhere during the round I remember it.  First thought of it today was when I made the turn and noticed I had no 6's on the scorecard, which put a little more pressure on myself on the back, but was able to finally beat the challenge.  Today was the 4th full round with my new irons (TM P790s), minus the par 3 performance, I was hitting them really well.

And a thank you to everyone who recommended Pure DTX grips, I have never seen these in a store, but have seen other versions so was able to at least touch a different version, when I did my iron fitting I rolled the dice and had Pure DTXs put on, absolutely love them, getting ready to order them for the rest of my clubs.

image.thumb.png.83853d6d3201f940492c08b5b56f8e23.png

Congratulations!  :beer:

Yep, it’s harder than it sounds. I shot a 74 last week with two sixes…

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 11/9/2020 at 10:32 AM, David in FL said:

Congratulations!  :beer:

Yep, it’s harder than it sounds. I shot a 74 last week with two sixes…

Thanks, and I wondered if I would ever beat it, a great confidence boost, hopefully it lasts until spring.

Gus
---------------

• 2 weeks later...

Three years now and still haven’t gotten it yet. One day....

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Three years now and still haven’t gotten it yet. One day....

How close have you gotten? A six on the 18th hole or something?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

How close have you gotten? A six on the 18th hole or something?

I had a couple of rounds with one 6. Generally a three-putt by on par 5...even my best round was even par (everything was “on” that day), I had one birdie, one bogey on a par 5, with 16 pars

the No-Sixes round is my white whale

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

10 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

the No-Sixes round is my white whale

“to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee.” 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

51 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

“to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee.” 

Indeed

-Jonny

I have to wonder about posts who claim they shoot par or in the 70s, and haven't had a round w/o a 6? Something smells fishy. 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

14 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I have to wonder about posts who claim they shoot par or in the 70s, and haven't had a round w/o a 6? Something smells fishy. 

I generally shoot between 81-84 with 2-3 rounds/year in the upper 70’s...never a round without a six. Maybe I smell fishy?

I generally won’t embarrass myself tee-to-green, but I can have days where I three-putt 3-4 times...that’s where my 6’s show up

-Jonny

• Administrator
On 11/26/2020 at 8:55 AM, Billy Z said:

I've had this challenge long enough for my college players that I can say it's not fishy. It's not like a double or a bogey on a par four or five do much to hamper your score.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 11/26/2020 at 8:55 AM, Billy Z said:

I regularly shoot in the mid to upper 70s and I'd guess that like 40-50% of those rounds I have a 6. A 6 can pop up pretty easily even for good players. Slightly errant tee shot, blocked out with trees so you have to punch out, miss the green with the approach, chip and 2 putt and there's a 6.

Let's say I make no birdies and play a par 72. Even with that 6 on a par 4, I can make 5 other bogies (which could include another 6 on a par 5) and 12 pars and still shoot in the 70s. That's not that unrealistic for better players. Add in a birdie or two and it becomes even easier to have a 6 but still shoot in the 70s.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 8:57 AM, klineka said:

I regularly shoot in the mid to upper 70s and I'd guess that like 40-50% of those rounds I have a 6. A 6 can pop up pretty easily even for good players. Slightly errant tee shot, blocked out with trees so you have to punch out, miss the green with the approach, chip and 2 putt and there's a 6.

Let's say I make no birdies and play a par 72. Even with that 6 on a par 4, I can make 5 other bogies (which could include another 6 on a par 5) and 12 pars and still shoot in the 70s. That's not that unrealistic for better players. Add in a birdie or two and it becomes even easier to have a 6 but still shoot in the 70s.

ok, fair enough. 

• 1 month later...

Today I shot an 83, but it was finally a round w/o a “6”

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

On 2/6/2021 at 5:48 PM, woodzie264 said:

Today I shot an 83, but it was finally a round w/o a “6”

I would be interested in seeing your scorecard to see how it is done.

Edited by Billy Z

19 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I would be interested in seeing your scorecard to see how it is done.

See above posts, but there was nothing interesting about it

-Jonny

On 11/26/2020 at 5:55 AM, Billy Z said:

Agree with the responders who've said its not fishy.  I've done it all of once (last year sometime and it's in here somewhere) because even if you are a decent golfer; it's very easy to bogey a par 5 or double a par 4 and still shoot in the 70s or even around par.  It just takes one squirrely shot.

Anecdotally, the top 20 players on the leaderboard at Pebble right now today shot;

67, 66, 70, 73, 69, 67, 70, 71, 69, 70, 72, 70, 73, 69, 73, 70, 71, 72, 69, 72

11 of those 20 scores (the bold ones) include a 6 or worse.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1