IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

I've done it. Shot an even par 71 last year. Just looked up the round. I had 2 birdies, 2 bogeys, and 14 pars. Bogeys were on a par 3 and a par 4. When I get home, I'll see if I can dig up the scorecard.

Great idea for a challenge, though. If you can keep 6s off your card, you are probably going to break 80. And I always get annoyed when I make a 6 on a par 5 (sometimes, more annoyed than on a par 4, because you have the chance to recover from one shot and make a 5 on a par 5).

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I've done it. Shot an even par 71 last year. Just looked up the round. I had 2 birdies, 2 bogeys, and 14 pars. Bogeys were on a par 3 and a par 4. When I get home, I'll see if I can dig up the scorecard.

Great idea for a challenge, though. If you can keep 6s off your card, you are probably going to break 80. And I always get annoyed when I make a 6 on a par 5 (sometimes, more annoyed than on a par 4, because you have the chance to recover from one shot and make a 5 on a par 5).

I am not saying you were asking for it, but yeah, that doesn't count. Challenges only get awarded the victory if they occur after the challenge is issued.

This challenge is good because:

• It lets you **** up a par three.
  • It makes you at least give yourself a par putt on a par four.
  • It makes you take advantage of the par fives, by at least never bogeying them.

Good players have a lot of rounds without sixes. I had one today. Shot 72 from the black tees at Whispering Woods… because if I screw up one of the first two shots on aΒ par five (the only tough shots, really), I realize that I have a few more shots to get back some ground. Tee shot in a bad place? I should be able to advance my ball enough to have a wedge third shot, and from there, I'll make birdie or par. That sort of thing.

Hell I had a no-six round once when I hit a tee ball OB on a par five (took a nice big bounce). Here it is: https://www.gamegolf.com/player/iacas/round/1820560?hole_id=34323670. I hit a hybrid from 235 and holed the 12-footer. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

I am not saying you were asking for it, but yeah, that doesn't count. Challenges only get awarded the victory if they occur after the challenge is issued.

Ah, okay, that wasn't clear. This will be a good challenge to think about during the Newport Cup (although getting a 6 in fourball might not be a terrible thing).

And, actually, thinking about this. If you have a bad tee shot on a par 4, just changing it to a par 5 in your head could help you here. I've gotten better at avoiding the crazy hero shot on par 4s, but the temptation is still there.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

And, actually, thinking about this. If you have a bad tee shot on a par 4, just changing it to a par 5 in your head could help you here. I've gotten better at avoiding the crazy hero shot on par 4s, but the temptation is still there.

I was never good at lying to myself there. I mean, it's a bogey. Give yourself a par putt.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

On 10/3/2017 at 6:52 PM, iacas said:

I may make this an actual challenge (with a winnable award thing).

ConcurΒ 

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

ConcurΒ 

I already did.

Well, this happened,Β http://www.gamegolf.com/player/saevel25/round/1874173?hole_id=35026712Β :-D

Shot my personal best round. No sixes on the scorecard. Today was really a play test on changing what I think about for my swing. I was inspired to try something new after writing out my post inΒ this thread,Β 

I went from thinking about a mechanic swing feel to thinking about hittingΒ certain ball flights. I started at the range messing around with this concept,Β and realized that when I was trying to hit a push cut IΒ hit a pretty good push draw or slight push. So I thought, that'll work on the course. It ended up workingΒ out pretty well.Β 

I started off pretty consistently. I was hitting the driver really good andΒ giving myself easy shots into the green. 55% FIR when I hit driver on every par 4 and par 5 is really really good for me. Especially with my distance off the tee. A few holes stood out to me in getting this no six round.Β 

Hole #5, I flared the driver right. Really I am not sure if the hole is a driver off the tee. If I hit my start line I am going towards the green and will have at worst a bunker shot.Β Anyways, I had to punch a 5 iron and run it up betweenΒ two bunkers. I hit a really good shot, and the ball ended up about 5 yards off the green, on the other side of the green.Β I hit a pretty good chip that almost went in. From a poor position,Β I was able to advance the ball to a position where I left myself with an easy short game shot. I was pretty comfortable hitting this punch shot. It's shot I know I can hit. I felt like even if I ended up in the bunker I could get the ball on the green for a par chance.Β 

Hole 8,Β I got overconfident and tried to cut a corner whenΒ I couldn't. I smoked this drive and ended up in a bunker you do not want to go in. I hit the next shot kinda heavy and ended up in another bunker, leaving myself about 55 yards. I hit a halfway decent shot, but hit the side hill of the green and it left me with an up and down for bogey. If the ball was about 5 yards farther its on the green for a par putt.Β Β I struck the nextΒ pitch pretty well, but just left it shorter than I liked. I was able to drain about a 15 footer for bogey. This was more luck than skill. Poor game planning almost cost me here.Β 

On a side note, Erik writing this post made my think of my dad. This past weekend, I was playing a round of golf with my dad and he mentioned that his goal is to post a scoreΒ with no doubles on the card. Not really a no sixes, but similar. Most of the holes are par 4's anyways. My dad is 63 years old, plays 6000-6200 yard courses, and shoots in the low to mid 80's. He doesn't lose many golf balls, he advances the ball towards the green, and he's a pretty good putter.Β 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I went from thinking about a mechanic swing feel to thinking about hittingΒ certain ball flights. I started at the range messing around with this concept,Β and realized that when I was trying to hit a push cut IΒ hit a pretty good push draw or slight push. So I thought, that'll work on the course. It ended up workingΒ out pretty well.Β 

Congrats. Award granted.

This is what I've been telling you. No swing thoughts, just hitting the ball solidly and somewhat straight. I've been telling you your swing is good enough to hit a LOT better scores than you have been shooting.Β Glad you finally listened even if it was by hearing it a different way. :-)

I don't have game golf or really keep scorecards but I did have one hanging around from a couple years ago becuase one of the 9s was a -6,Β 30. Β I'm sure I had a no 6 round before, but now I haveΒ proof. Woohoo!

I do like par 5s though. I usually score really well becuase of my length off the tee.Β 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach;Β Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI
Β 
TeamΒ :srixon:!

6 hours ago, iacas said:

This challenge is good because:

• It lets you **** up a par three.
  • It makes you at least give yourself a par putt on a par four.
  • It makes you take advantage of the par fives, by at least never bogeying them.

Good players have a lot of rounds without sixes. I had one today. Shot 72 from the black tees at Whispering Woods… because if I screw up one of the first two shots on aΒ par five (the only tough shots, really), I realize that I have a few more shots to get back some ground. Tee shot in a bad place? I should be able to advance my ball enough to have a wedge third shot, and from there, I'll make birdie or par. That sort of thing.

Hell I had a no-six round once when I hit a tee ball OB on a par five (took a nice big bounce). Here it is: https://www.gamegolf.com/player/iacas/round/1820560?hole_id=34323670. I hit a hybrid from 235 and holed the 12-footer. ;-)

Well, way to make that seem achievable, even for me.Β  My home course only has three par-5s anyway.Β  Okay, I'm on for gameplanning this.Β  It sounds like a great goal.Β  Β At very first thought, I think I have 3-5 sixes per round -- knocking one or two of those away would help quite a bit, even if I don't achieve the sixes goal.Β Β 

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

IΒ΄m 5 rounds in a row with a 6 or worst in my scorecard. That includes a 7 and a 9 on Par 4Β΄s.
In the last 2 rounds i made 25 pars, 3 birdies, 6 bogeys, 2 doubles, 1 triple and the 9.Β Not good..

I will win this challenge!
Β 

I don’t think there are any game planning or mental tricks for me to avoid a six. Β I’ll just keep playing and if the 1/1000 chance comes in (or I improve a lot) then it might happen. Β It’s not like I go around aiming nearΒ ob orΒ trying to carry 200+ yard water hazards. Β Don’t know if I’ve ever even parred 4 par 5s in my life.

43 minutes ago, allenc said:

Don’t know if I’ve ever even parred 4 par 5s in my life.

You don't have to par them, you knowΒ ;-)

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

You don't have to par them, you knowΒ ;-)

Well of course I’ve had 3 eagles and a birdie, but who hasn’t? Β :-P

I'm in... It'll be tough, especially at Newman, but I'll give it the old college try.

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

12 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Never gonna happen. I can hit it OB off the tee or lose a tee shot on LITERALLY ANY hole.

So hit your 2-hybrid with the blue PURE Grip on it. It's not cheating... It's just a knowing your shot zones.

@iacasΒ Do you suggest the golfers who are say 9.1-17.9 Handicap to try this from a more forward tee first? Or stick to their normal tee?

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

So hit your 2-hybrid with the blue PURE Grip on it. It's not cheating... It's just a knowing your shot zones.

@iacasΒ Do you suggest the golfers who are say 9.1-17.9 Handicap to try this from a more forward tee first? Or stick to their normal tee?

Yeah, if you're comfortable to claim the award, my only stipulations are:

• Not an executive course.
  • 18 holes.
  • Rules of Golf.

I think playing forward tees is a great way to do it, so long as it doesn't turn it into a ridiculously short executive length course.