IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I finally did it! I needed three up and downs on Par 5s to do it. One was really a two putt, but the other two were harder. The first was a high pitch shot over a bunker and a one putt. The second, I chipped way past the hole but made a 20 footer comeback putt. I literally laughed when it went in. I played really well on the par 4 holes and bogeyed all but one par 3. No doubles. I’ve been focusing on eliminating doubles. 

On the last hole, a tough par 4, I pushed my drive way right. I had to hit over trees blind and missed the green right. My pitch caught the rough on the fringe. I chipped to 2 inches for a 5. I’m not a fan of 18 on this course.

Played with a kid named Kyle. I think his dad works for the course. Nice kid but quiet and a low talker. I’m hard of hearing so it made for a quiet round.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ScottCurry/round/3092212

56D16641-19DE-47ED-BF3E-70EFE04892DC.jpeg

1FDD9AF0-8B81-4BBC-B3D3-EAF8C89635AA.jpeg

Congratulations! 

Awesome achievement. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I finally did it! I needed three up and downs on Par 5s to do it.

Nice!

I never thought I would achieve the "no-sixes" challenge. It takes solid play on each par-5 hole, and it seems like on every course, there are enough par-4 holes with double bogey lurking out there to derail the effort.

Luckily for me, my course only has two par-5s, but there are seven par-4s where one wayward shot can make getting home with a 5 a difficult outcome.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 minute ago, Darkfrog said:

Nice!

I never thought I would achieve the "no-sixes" challenge. It takes solid play on each par-5 hole, and it seems like on every course, there are enough par-4 holes with double bogey lurking out there to derail the effort.

Luckily for me, my course only has two par-5s, but there are seven par-4s where one wayward shot can make getting home with a 5 a difficult outcome.

I wasn’t really thinking of it during the round. Just focused on the next shot. I played poorly off the tee on 3/4 par 3 holes, but well on the par 4. As I get to know this course more, I know where I can miss and how to play certain holes. I think that’s a key. 

Of course I will probably shoot in the high 80s next round. 😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I finally did it!

Congratulations!  Welcome to the "no sixes" club. 

Now let's both get another such round! 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Congrats @boogielicious!

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Never3putt said:

No sixes today!

IMG_0378.JPG

Congrats!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SG11118 said:

Shot 76 last Thursday, but had a bogey on the par 5 12th.  Still don't have one this year, and running out of season...

So hard to do

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

So hard to do

Agreed. You always seem to have a brain-fart hole where you even just make bogey on a par-five and you’re toast. I usually am able to do it about 1 in 4 rounds, and it’s usually a bogey on a par-five that does me in. (Or the occasional brain-fart 6 on a par-3)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

1 hour ago, onthehunt526 said:

Agreed. You always seem to have a brain-fart hole where you even just make bogey on a par-five and you’re toast. I usually am able to do it about 1 in 4 rounds, and it’s usually a bogey on a par-five that does me in. (Or the occasional brain-fart 6 on a par-3)

Well, at least you have the par-4s down!  I had a round a few weeks ago at my home course that would have been my second-ever no sixes (first was not at my home course)... played the par-5s in -1 (all pars and a birdie), but two sixes on par-4s did me in for the challenge.  Thankfully I have the badge from two years ago or so, but it'll be nice to have a few more rounds that fit this. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5 hours ago, Shindig said:

Well, at least you have the par-4s down!  I had a round a few weeks ago at my home course that would have been my second-ever no sixes (first was not at my home course)... played the par-5s in -1 (all pars and a birdie), but two sixes on par-4s did me in for the challenge.  Thankfully I have the badge from two years ago or so, but it'll be nice to have a few more rounds that fit this. 

I’ve only done it once myself

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• 2 weeks later...

Had a no sixes round yesterday. Third time I’ve done it since this challenge started.

1E0FE675-73BA-4286-BF19-DE395E596477.thumb.jpeg.4452c9fe168a81652dc70ef1beff96b9.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• iacas unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Great challenge. Completed today! From experience, it's harder when you're thinking about it. 

Shot 72, on par 71 course. Four bogeys, three birdies. One birdie and two pars on the three par 5's. 

Nearly a 6 on the par 4 8th hole. Second shot in the water, 100 yard 4th shot on the green, made 20 foot putt for bogey. 

45 foot two putt for par 5 on #17 while thinking about this challenge! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally remembered to post this - had a no sixes round last week at Tobacco Road. Key for me was smarter par 5 play - not trying to be a hero with the second shot, plus I had solid wedge play all day.

Saved my double bogey for the par 3! Shot a 77.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Chris Brooks

I've blogged about my wanderings since 2003. I love roaming throughout the USA looking for remote public golf courses to play.