IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

Current index is 22.3 and  on June 29 played a round at North Kingstown with @boogielicious in which I shot 84 with no sevens, as follows:

4-6-4-6-4-4-5-4-5    4-6-4-5-4-5-6-4-4

Edited by Bob M
correction
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
8 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

I’m claiming the No Sixes Challenge! Shot 78 yesterday, and here’s my hole by hole!

PAR: 4-5-4-3-4-4-3-4-4—35

SCORE: 4-5-5-3-4-5-3-5-5—39

PAR: 4-4-4-4-5-3-4-3-5—36

SCORE: 5-5-5-4-4-4-4-3-5—39

A couple of highlights from the round:

•Saved par on the seventh hole after I hit a miraculous flop shot to within two feet.

•Made an 8-footer for bogey on 12 after hooking a drive OB. That proved to be critical.

•After a perfect drive on 14 (short par 5), I had only a 6 iron in. Was on the fringe in two and birdied easily. Almost made the eagle putt!

Nothing super crazy happened during the round, and it was just one of those days you just feel like everything was clicking.

Congrats. I moved your post here because…

On 10/3/2017 at 12:15 AM, iacas said:

So, let's have this topic stand as an ongoing one. When you complete a round successfully without a six (or higher), post here and tell us about it.

Cheers!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

I already claimed this challenge.

But today's round was notable:
front: 5, 4, 4, 3, 5, 4, 5, 4, 4
back: 2, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5

Bad ball-striking, but good trouble shots and putting. Made 5-7 foot putts for 5 on #1, #5, and #11. Up and down from 70 yards on #5. Par from the other fairway on the par 5 #17. 

• Like 1

Even though I've completed this challenge multiple times, it is difficult for me. I've had some good rounds this year, and none of them are no 6s.

• 76 (+5): bogeyed a par 5
  • 76 (+5): doubled a par 4 and bogeyed a par 5
  • 74 (+2): doubled a par 4
  • 73 (+1): doubled a par 4

I have one combined round on my GHIN with no 6s, but 9 of that was played on a executive course without a par 5, so it doesn't count.

I think about no 6s every time I play. That is always my goal at the beginning of each round. I need to make it happen more often!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

29 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I think about no 6s every time I play. That is always my goal at the beginning of each round. I need to make it happen more often!

Same!  It's especially motivating to try to keep a streak of no-sixes going, even if the round isn't otherwise great.  In fact, it's especially fun if the round isn't going well but I can put together a string of no-sixes, because if I hit that stretch during a round that is going well, I'll reach into the memory bank if I start to struggle.

I had a round earlier this month with a very poor first nine at my former home course.  The first seven holes included a on a par-4 and three sixes, one of which was a four putt.  I then bogeyed the tough par-3 eighth, which was encouraging, and then had nine fives (and a three on one of the two remaining par-3s).

Unfortunately or fortunately, I can't quite decide which, I tend to judge a round after the fact in part on whether I had at least near-GIR on every par-5.  I feel like at my skill level, I should at least have that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I achieved this goal yesterday! 

IMG_1773.jpg

17 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Even though I've completed this challenge multiple times, it is difficult for me. I've had some good rounds this year, and none of them are no 6s.

• 76 (+5): bogeyed a par 5
  • 76 (+5): doubled a par 4 and bogeyed a par 5
  • 74 (+2): doubled a par 4
  • 73 (+1): doubled a par 4

I have one combined round on my GHIN with no 6s, but 9 of that was played on a executive course without a par 5, so it doesn't count.

Yes, ever since I read on TST about this challenge I always had it on my mind when having a good round. Always seemed to come up short: a bogey on a par 5 or a double on a par 4.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I kept this thread in mind during my recent club championship, along with a cousin concept.   Actually, I think about it in just about every round I play now, but it was particularly on my mind the last three days.

In the first round, I shot an 81 with only one six -- I hit the back the green on the par-5 17th in regulation, had >60 feet for birdie (the pin was up front), and three-putted.  The first putt had good speed but I grossly misread it, leaving myself 9' or so (due to break, not speed).  I left that one as a tap-in just to the side of the hole.  My only six for the round, and it was on the par-5 17th -- the second farthest into a round I have ever gotten without a six (my sole "no sixes" is the longest).  That's also the longest hole on the course and played into the wind (I was on the back of the green because I overestimated the wind for my third shot).

I had three sixes (plus a double on a par-3) on the second day, shooting an 87 that included bogeys on two par-5s (one off a bad tee shot, one off a bad second shot) and a double on a par-4.  

My lone six on the last day came at the par-4 15th;  I hit a poor tee shot (I was thinking on that tee how well I had played so far that day, especially the three previous holes, and not about the task at hand), advanced the ball out of trouble, hit the green with a full sand wedge, and three putted.  I ended that round with a 79 that included a par on every par-5.

I have had a lot of rounds lately where I've kept the number of sixes down to one or two, including an 82 a few weeks ago (wherein I had two sevens on par-5s, nothing else worse than five).   In the three rounds of the club championship, I played the par-5s in a total of +3, with no birdies thrown in, and all pars on them in the final round. 

If you're like I was when this thread first got posted, having a handicap in the mid-to-high teens, consider giving the challenge a try if you haven't already.  It's very freeing on a par-4 where after a poor tee shot or approach shot, you manage a bogey and feel good about it.  It also helps with shot selection, which I think has produced lower scores over time.   Come to think of it, if you're a high handicap, bogeying most par-4s, especially if you have at least one bad shot thrown in, should feel good anyway. 

Reading this thread, there are plenty of posts from about five years ago of my increasing confidence that I can do this.  I did it once, in November 2019, and think I can do it again.  I'm certainly trying. 

I'm not trying for "five or better" from the word go on each hole -- rather, I'm not letting "bogey on a par-4" get me down, and when I'm in a situation where par also brings double into play, it helps me figure out a better plan that produces a better expected score, even if it lowers my chances of par (as long as it brings with it significantly diminished chances of a double). 

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Two rounds that I've played over the past month or so. One of them did it:

37 76

And one of them didn't:

4 4 4 3 4 4 4 6 3 36 3 4 4 4 4 4 4 3 4 34

I'm significantly happier with the second round. The 6 was a 3-putt on a challenging par 5. Missed a 3-footer. It was also the only score I had worse than a 4, so there's that. In neither round was I thinking about the no sixes challenge. Only noticed them afterwards.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Shot my first ever no six round today as well as a double bogey free round which is also a first. I Bly equalled my personal best of 80 though. Agonisingly close to breaking it

C339B15F-853F-4569-8356-A0A68FBD075C.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 10/1/2022 at 2:42 PM, Nail said:

Shot my first ever no six round today as well as a double bogey free round which is also a first. I Bly equalled my personal best of 80 though. Agonisingly close to breaking it

Congrats!

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Had at least one 6 every round this year.  Par 5 scoring was pretty crappy all year at 5.28 (Par 4 was 4.56 and par 3 was 3.31).  I think I only had two rounds all year where I didn't have at least one bogey on a par 5, and both of those had a double on a par 4.  Need to improve my par 5 scoring for next year...

John

• 7 months later...

All right - for the first time since this challenge started in 2017, I finally was successful yesterday.  I had quite a few of them before that (and had quite a few better rounds since 2017 than the one yesterday), but there has always been at least one hole that got me. Since I was the last one to post on this thread, it probably isn't even a challenge anymore, but I'm taking credit for it anyhow...

20230602_161336.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

John

• Administrator
18 hours ago, SG11118 said:

All right - for the first time since this challenge started in 2017, I finally was successful yesterday.  I had quite a few of them before that (and had quite a few better rounds since 2017 than the one yesterday), but there has always been at least one hole that got me. Since I was the last one to post on this thread, it probably isn't even a challenge anymore, but I'm taking credit for it anyhow...

20230602_161336.jpg

Congrats! Awarded.

• 3 weeks later...

Today had my second “No Six” round.  Wanted to post it because I’m super proud of it (it’s a big thing for me being only my 6th full round of the year) and wanted to bump the topic. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• 1 month later...

I have already done this challenge, but wanted to share this gem of scorecard from today:

IMG_3493.thumb.jpeg.5bf27a52966a405ff289065ccedb6b53.jpegIMG_3494.thumb.jpeg.5e922a02c341a32122338e678d07d99f.jpeg

Not my best round, but no 6s. Key was no penalties, and being around every green but one in regulation. And saving my doubles for the par 3s. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

For the first time in a long long time I had a "no-six" round yesterday.  It was the second day of a 36-hole stroke play tournament.  I shot 77 (69 net) on Saturday, and was near the lead.  Yesterday wasn't perfect, but I kept the ball on the course and dry, I never compounded one mistake with a second one, and shot 78 (70) to win,  No birdies, but no 6's, boring golf can be pretty good golf.  

• Thumbs Up 4

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.