IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

This was yesterday, so I AM claiming the achievement.  Its pretty unusual that I don't make a bogey on a per-5, or a double on a par-4, but I had a reasonably solid round.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
12 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

This was yesterday, so I AM claiming the achievement.  Its pretty unusual that I don't make a bogey on a per-5, or a double on a par-4, but I had a reasonably solid round.  

Okay. All yours.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok, I did it today, shot 70 (-2). I played the par 5s two under and had no doubles on the card at all. I was even on the par 4s, one bogey one birdie, and made 4 pars on the par 3s. This is a good challenge, I mean I don't normally have many 6s on my card anyway, but it made me really concentrate today. Did get in trouble off the tee on the par 5 5th hole. I had a little window that I could have possibly hit it through and made it close to the green but I played it safe and put it back in play to avoid a big number. Worked out well I had a longer than usual approach, but I hit it to 25-30 feet and had a tap in par. Had fun, challenge accepted and achieved.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

(edited)

I finally got around to playing 18 today and it was a good round. I played from shorter tees with my friend but I shot the course rating of 69 (-3). Two bogeys, one on a par 3 and the other on a par 4. I nearly failed on a par 5, but I sunk the 10 footer. I also had a eagle on one of the drivable par 4s. And then 3 other birdies. Should've been lower score but I missed quite a few short putts, greens were aerated recently. Off the tee today was good. Approaches were decent enough. 

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator

Granted to both of you. Congratulations!

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 10/2/2017 at 11:15 PM, iacas said:

P.S. If you're an 18 handicap index or higher, you can post if you complete the "Seven Challenge." That means no sevens or higher.

Depends on how I figure my handicap.  GameGolf lists me as a 15.8.  But I also track my scores and differentials for what a USGA HI would be, and that has me at 18.9. So if I qualify for the "Seven Challenge":

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/formalin1/round/1880677

I wasn't playing today to try to complete this challenge, just trying to enjoy the day and get better contact with my driver than I have been recently.  Made my share of mistakes, including one ball out of bounds on a par 3--teed another one up, hit the green, two-putted for a 5.  But it was a nice afternoon of golf.  When all is done, I find that I avoided sevens: 4 5 6 5 5 5 5 6 4 (45 out) 6 6 5 5 4 3 5 3 6 (43 in), total 88, white tees.

rodserling.jpg.ac0f68a4c058a615feb31a689b007f57.jpg

So, submitted for your consideration.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I'm taking the 7's challenge.  This will be tough for me, but definitely something worth striving for.  I'm presently just trying to get through a round without any triples and was able to string 27 holes in a row earlier in the year so I think I am close.  

Nope - round on Saturday and I totally blew it on a par 5 on the front (hole requires a drive short of the water, lay up over the water, then approach a small green surrounded by water - going for it in two is just not smart) Complete meltdown on the 2nd shot and it just got worse from there.

It just takes a fail on one hole.  FUN challenge.  I've done it previously, but now the pressure is on going forward and only a few weeks in the season left.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

2 hours ago, Antneye said:

I'm taking the 7's challenge.  This will be tough for me, but definitely something worth striving for. 

Same here - even getting through 9 is tough for me. While I haven't come very close to it, the upside  is that I haven't had any blowup holes and have used the same ball throughout the last 2 rounds while attempting it. 

2 hours ago, Antneye said:

I'm presently just trying to get through a round without any triples and was able to string 27 holes in a row earlier in the year so I think I am close.  

That's not easy either. Nice work.

• Like 1

Jon

On 10/6/2017 at 6:56 PM, David in FL said:

You don't always try your best? :-D 

P.S.  My 81 today included 3 sixes...  :8)

I rarely think about what I am trying to shoot. Just try to stay one shot at a time.

I failed this weekend on the 3rd hole. Bogey on a par 5. Then failed again on 14 another bogey on a par 5, and for good measure made another one on 15 (which was actually a pretty good 6 because I started launching a ball out of bounds). Still shot 73 but failed the 6 challenge.

In thinking over my rounds I have done it before, but I think it is pretty rare. Maybe 1 in 10 rounds I will not have a 6 and I am 6 handicap so I think it is a good test.

Michael

31 minutes ago, mchepp said:

I rarely think about what I am trying to shoot. Just try to stay one shot at a time.

I failed this weekend on the 3rd hole. Bogey on a par 5. Then failed again on 14 another bogey on a par 5, and for good measure made another one on 15 (which was actually a pretty good 6 because I started launching a ball out of bounds). Still shot 73 but failed the 6 challenge.

In thinking over my rounds I have done it before, but I think it is pretty rare. Maybe 1 in 10 rounds I will not have a 6 and I am 6 handicap so I think it is a good test.

I agree.  It's tougher than people might think at first.  Not only no doubles, but neither can you even bogey a par 5. 

I think 1 in 10 will be pretty good for me...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
On 10/9/2017 at 12:28 AM, Missouri Swede said:

Depends on how I figure my handicap.  GameGolf lists me as a 15.8.  But I also track my scores and differentials for what a USGA HI would be, and that has me at 18.9. So if I qualify for the "Seven Challenge":

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/formalin1/round/1880677

I wasn't playing today to try to complete this challenge, just trying to enjoy the day and get better contact with my driver than I have been recently.  Made my share of mistakes, including one ball out of bounds on a par 3--teed another one up, hit the green, two-putted for a 5.  But it was a nice afternoon of golf.  When all is done, I find that I avoided sevens: 4 5 6 5 5 5 5 6 4 (45 out) 6 6 5 5 4 3 5 3 6 (43 in), total 88, white tees.

rodserling.jpg.ac0f68a4c058a615feb31a689b007f57.jpg

So, submitted for your consideration.

Congrats.

There's no award for that, of course… I just wanted to try to include higher handicappers in having something to shoot for. To not exclude you, to give you a goal to shoot for… You should be proud, as an 18.9, of your no-sevens round. That's a big step, and if you continue to improve, the no-sixes challenge may be within your grasp.

Congratulations.

1 hour ago, mchepp said:

That's bogus and you know it.

The game of golf is about positioning your ball so that you can have a better chance on your next shot. No, you shouldn't ever really be thinking a HOLE ahead, but thinking a shot or two on that hole ahead is always done.

Why don't you hit your pitching wedge off every tee? Because you're going to be too far from the hole. So you hit your driver, and you hit it to the right side of the fairway because the left side has a big tree that may affect your second shot.

Good golfers are always thinking about their next shot, or they'd either go for everything or play safe with everything. Instead, the challenge is to play about as aggressively as our skill will allow us to.

This challenge reinforces that.

If you're out of position on a par four, the aim is to give yourself a par putt of 35' or less (a two-puttable par putt). It reinforces that you don't need a hero shot on your third. If you're out of position on a par five, the aim is to get yourself a makable par putt (not just any par putt). It reinforces a little aggression on par fives, even if it's just advancing your ball from 270 out and in the trees to 210 out in the fairway with a 60-yard pitch-out (rather than going backward/sideways), and then getting at least a nGIR for your third.

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Just wondering.....how hard/long would a Par5 have to be, to not be considered an automatic 5 for something like this?

I'm not sure what you mean, nor how you could quantify "difficulty" for even ten or twelve players let alone thousands or millions.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Just wondering.....how hard/long would a Par5 have to be, to not be considered an automatic 5 for something like this?

There are absolutely no automatic 5 (or better) par 5 holes, at least for me.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm not sure what you mean, nor how you could quantify "difficulty" for even ten or twelve players let alone thousands or millions.

Well for the HI level you suggest for this, wouldnt there exist par5s where the average score could creep up to well over 5.0, instead of <<5.0? 

Edited by cutchemist42