IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

I just finished a round today and had no sixes on any par fours.  And no double bogies till 17.  Actually no doubles at all, 17 was a par 3 triple ☹️.  Not exactly the challenge, but it’s a start. :content:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, allenc said:

I just finished a round today and had no sixes on any par fours.  And no double bogies till 17.  Actually no doubles at all, 17 was a par 3 triple ☹️.  Not exactly the challenge, but it’s a start. :content:

So close!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well damn it... I shoot my lowest round of the year today and almost pulled off no sixes... I only had one I'll get into that in a bit.

This is what my scorecard read at the end of the round:

4 2 4 4 5 5 4 4 6- 38 out

5 3 5 4 4 5- 38 in 76 total

Birdies are in red, bogeys are in blue. It is the first time I have ever birdied the 1st and 2nd holes. The hilarious thing about the birdie at 1, is I thought I missed the putt, and it snuck in the side door, had a similar putt at the 2nd, that snuck in the side door. I actually started 4 for 4 for GIR. Hit a miserable topped 7-iron at 5, but hit a nice 90 yard shot to give myself a reasonable chance to make par, I did make bogey, but not a 6. Actually made 3 bogeys in a row at 5, 6, and 7... Now I'm +1 for the day. Made a good 2 putt par at the 8th. And actually hit an okay drive at the par-5 9th... In the right rough, but it could of been worse

I made a decision that probably is why I ended up making my only 6 of the day. I had a "weird" lie. Not a lot of grass behind the ball, but a clump in front. To me, it didn't look like a lie I could get a hybrid or 3-wood on, so I tried a 5-iron... Though I hit it just ok, I might have hit it 150 yards... I had 160 yards for my third, pulled a 6-iron left.... Had a nearly impossible pitch to get close... So I bit the bullet and just gave myself a putt... which lipped out from about 18 feet. I tapped in for my 6 and was disappointed. I played the rest of the round without making a 6... But the lip out cost me completing this challenge... Hurts, it hurts a lot...

But in the consideration I haven't been even playing that well lately (a couple nines in the high 40s, and an 18 in the low 90s) It's progress... I think maybe in hindsight, I should've taken my hybrid for my 2nd shot... Probably gained 30-40 yards, and would've had 9i or PW for my 3rd shot. Which I would have had a better chance to put on the green, which would have given me a better chance to not make a 6.... On the bright side, I didn't make a single double bogey which is pretty good for me.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Just completed this challenge yesterday!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/klineka/round/1884627

Was pretty straight off the tee for the most part, and didnt really miss any of my approach shots too bad. 

The misses I did have off the tee I had looks at either the entire green, or half of the green so I was able to get nGIR, then chip and 2 putt for 5s if I didnt get GIR.

Avoided the water all round, although my tee shot on 9 was within a couple feet of the water, thankfully the rough over there was long and stopped it just short. Played the three par 5s at a total of -1 with 3 GIR so that helped take the pressure off for those holes. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
4 hours ago, klineka said:

Just completed this challenge yesterday!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/klineka/round/1884627

Congrats! I've awarded it to you.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well... I had a good run at it yesterday, my second attempt.  Despite starting 7-6-6 and being clearly not going to get the award this round, I went holes 4-14 (inclusive) with nothing worse than a 5.  I then hit a pop up drive on the long par-4 15th, hit a great wood to pitching distance, and way over-cooked my pitch shot.  I did not get up and down from well behind the green, and there's a six (with at least three bad shots mixed in).  That shot might be the impetus for me to finally remove my old PW from my bag and figure something to do, perhaps learning partial distances with the W in my iron set.

But such a long streak in there makes me feel good, even though I knew I was out of it from the word 'go.'  But I hadn't hit a ball in three and a half days, including no warm up before the round (worked check-in for the outing).  I also managed a 4 on #16 (a par-3 that I'm hysterically bad at) and a par on the longest par-5 on the course, which was playing into the wind (good driver, good 4-wood, good full W ignoring the pin tucked where a bad shot brings sand or water into play, a putt to under 2', and a relatively easy par). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Shot 79 today with two 6's....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I just happened to look and I haven't had a "no sevens" round since April. I just haven't played as well as I hoped to this year and realistically it might be a year or two before I have a decent chance at completing this challenge.

At least it gives me a goal to work towards.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Played our semi-final match yesterday for our season long fourball match. We won so onto finals but I also had a no sixes round. :-D

5 5 5 3 5 3 5 4 4 - 39

4 3 4 4 4 5 4 4 4 - 36

75 (+4) 5 bogeys and 1 birdie

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator
12 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Played our semi-final match yesterday for our season long fourball match. We won so onto finals but I also had a no sixes round. :-D

5 5 5 3 5 3 5 4 4 - 39

4 3 4 4 4 5 4 4 4 - 36

75 (+4) 5 bogeys and 1 birdie

Congrats!

My bid for no sixes ended on the first hole today (ended with six in total), but at least I made no sevens! I did feel like I was thinking more about my strategy today in order to avoid a big number and I think that helped keep my score from blowing up. I've been getting kind of lazy with my decision making lately, like pulling driver on short holes or trying to hit a 3W out of a bad lie. These kinds of decisions lead to bad results that inflate my score. Today I made one mental error that I think cost me at least a stroke, but the rest were from bad ballstriking.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This is tougher than it looked at first glance, and I believe the par 5's are the key. You have to par every one of them or your goose is cooked! On a lot of courses you'll have 4 opportunities to do just that. So if you really take on this challenge, that's going to be in your head every time you step up on a par 5 tee. I realize this is a poor mode of thinking, but it will be there.

I didn't have this problem yesterday BTW. I doubled the par 4 first hole, so the challenge went up in flames right off the rip! I was able to regroup and shot an 85, which is right in my wheelhouse. Will try again this week.

I failed again this weekend. The 3rd hole has been my nemesis, this time a bogey from the front fringe. The good news is after making that 6 I did not have one the rest of the round. 

I need an award for the 1 six challenge.

Michael

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, mchepp said:

Here you go.

il_340x270.1038151209_jahq.jpg

;-)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mchepp said:

I failed again this weekend. The 3rd hole has been my nemesis, this time a bogey from the front fringe. The good news is after making that 6 I did not have one the rest of the round. 

Maybe we should call it the "deep six" challenge!

I knew this was tough, even though I got lucky in my first round after the challenge was posted.  Today, I shot a better score (+3 for 75) but had three 6s,  15 pars, 3 bogeys, every one on a par-5. That would have seemed pretty solid, except I was aware of this challenge.  :cry:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 rounds this weekend -

• 1st round two sixes
  • 2nd round one hole over a six - It was a fun 12.  My final ball was a 4, but add in 4 lateral into the woods from the tee because I went all Tin Cup on the drive - so that's 8 more strokes (4 hits and 4 penalties?).......maybe if I had just took my drop on the first one, but I can't help myself, it's such a cool hole to play the risk/reward.  (Oddly enough, the ball that worked I finally just hit out to the center and took the longer approach and it played regulation).
  • 3rd round I did it, but it doesn't count as it was a practice round and I frequently played two balls on an empty course.  And I played a shorter set of tees than usual due to the cold making my drives shorter.  Can't count it, won't claim it.

this is hard....and I'm running out of season, and the balls are feeling like rocks in the cold weather (though I switched and the current ones are good for now)

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I knew this was tough, even though I got lucky in my first round after the challenge was posted.  Today, I shot a better score (+3 for 75) but had three 6s,  15 pars, 3 bogeys, every one on a par-5. That would have seemed pretty solid, except I was aware of this challenge.  :cry:

I am convinced that this challenge is harder to do if you know about it than if you don't. On my effort, I lost it on the 9th hole and every shot playing the hole it was in the back of my mind. My 6 foot putt for a 5 was much harder for thinking about how the challenge was gone if I missed it. And sure enough...