IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

If you were a 10, I'd say that's not true. But a "bad" swing for someone who lists themselves as a "20+", yeah, I'd probably agree.

Have you passed the "no 7s challenge"?

Hmm, I have to look at my past scorecards. I shot an 43/43. I'll check that card.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, gjunkie57 said:

Hmm, I have to look at my past scorecards. I shot an 43/43. I'll check that card.

Here is my 'No 7s Challenge'. Of course I bogied the 5's. Can I get a 90's badge.

scorecard.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, gjunkie57 said:

Can I get a 90's badge.

Sure, claim it in the Claim topic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 10/18/2019 at 11:03 PM, Inferno2ss said:

Shot a +9 79, no sixes, however I did take an 8 on one of the par 5s.  

Been a while since Ive done that. 

As you know, it's no sixes or higher. 🙂

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Shindig said:

So, yesterday I played my par-3s in even, par-5s in one under, and averaged 4.5 on par-4s ... and no sixes.  Anywhere.  Or worse.  First time I've done that.

Check it out, my scorecard from yesterday (Nov 16, 2019).

Scorecard_2019_Nov_16__No_Sixes.thumb.jpg.a1f4bf442422f98d2a46deb1927ca8f3.jpgf

This was from the blue tees at Encino golf course in L.A..  The second line is where I put notes for later:  G (GIR) or N (near-GIR).  I on occasion make other notations (S: I hit sand, A: got to the green as planned but not in either category;  F: messed up the hole)  I don't do this during tournaments of course.  Just saying it here because it's in the picture.

In case the challenge has any such restrictions, I played blue tees which are 70.1 / 114 / 6574 yards.  No mulligans, played with friends in a skins/modified fourball type casual round.  I did accept a few very short conceded putts (none over about a foot).  I believe it qualifies for the challenge.

And I was fully aware of where I stood, score-wise and challenge wise, when I hit my second shot at #16.  So I played the last 11 strokes knowing I had a good round going and a chance to finish the "no sixes" challenge, with a par-5 waiting for me at the end.  I hit a good drive, a great 4-wood, and pitched on from 75 yards with a 9-iron (half swing).  Almost made the putt for a 75 too :-) 

76 beats my previous best score of all time by one (that 77 had two sixes on it... but also three birdies).  I get the feeling I'll have a bunch more good scores if I can produce more "no sixes" scorecards :-) 

Awesome! 

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 11/18/2019 at 12:34 AM, Shindig said:

Check it out, my scorecard from yesterday (Nov 16, 2019).

Scorecard_2019_Nov_16__No_Sixes.thumb.jpg.a1f4bf442422f98d2a46deb1927ca8f3.jpg

Awesome! You've got the badge. Sorry it took me so long to get to it.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Awesome! You've got the badge. Sorry it took me so long to get to it.

Not a problem!  Thanks for getting me to think about this -- I'm sure just thinking about how to achieve this has helped with achieving some low scores since it started.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’m right at 18, and very nearly completed the no sevens challenge. Only one seven the entire round, and that wasn’t until the
par-5 16th hole. A nice 3W to the center of the fairway, then another 3W topped into the trees. 220 out, punched a 5I about 60 yards short. Chunked the pitch, then chipped on and two-putted. 

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Well, about a year and a half after I originally did this, I managed to do it again today. It's the first time I've done since then. I didn't play particularly well, but didn't really get myself into trouble, either. I was playing a little more conservatively than usual, because the ground was frozen and my ball had no chance of stopping after one bounce. But I kept it in play, probably had 17 or 18 nGIR, and made a lot of easy bogeys. 

2820189_ZgTRYXZy.png

View this round on GAME GOLF
2820190_dAiQ8ZCd.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

(This round wouldn't strictly count, because I hit second balls a couple of times.)

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• 2 months later...

Oooh, oooh, I have got to try this. 

With a handicap of 19 (new, as a few days ago) this is a great idea and challenge for me. 

Thanks for the idea. 

Will pay today if it warms up a little and definitely tomorrow. 

Retired Old Man

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

5 hours ago, RetiredOldMan said:

Oooh, oooh, I have got to try this. 

With a handicap of 19 (new, as a few days ago) this is a great idea and challenge for me. 

Thanks for the idea. 

Will pay today if it warms up a little and definitely tomorrow. 

Retired Old Man

Good luck!  :beer:

Don’t  beat yourself up too much though, it’s much harder than it might sound, ever for pretty good players.  You might want to set no 7’s as an interim goal along the way...  

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

18 hours ago, David in FL said:

Good luck!  :beer:

Don’t  beat yourself up too much though, it’s much harder than it might sound, ever for pretty good players.  You might want to set no 7’s as an interim goal along the way...  

Not a problem. At 73 years old it won't be the first time I blew my goal. 😄 

My partner friend thinks I should be able to do it fairly quickly. (I hope so) 

To be truthful, I would rather play consistent than have a great low score once in awhile. Hopefully, this challenge will make me settle down and obtain some consistency. 

Retired Old Man

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Mallet Style Putter 

• 2 months later...

Consistency is definitely key here. I'm in for the no sevens challenge this season on my way to breaking 90.

-Craig-

In my bag:

:callaway: XR-16 Driver 10.5° :callaway: Epic Flash 3W, Big Bertha Steelhead 5W

:callaway: X Hot 3 hybrid :callaway: Steelhead X-14 irons 4i-PW,SW spacer.pngCG14 GW, LW  ping-logo1.png.f020c6ba3751388e4eea3481be9cfca6.pngTyne 4 putter

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while, but I had my first no sixes round in quite sometime.  A few years back, it was a daily occurrence, but first one in a long time.  Hopefully I'm on te way back to play better.  

5 5 5 3 4 5 4 5 5 - 41    4 3 4 3 5 4 5 4 4 - 36 - 77  Started on the back 9 with a 36, played last 4 holes, 4 over.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

6 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

It's been a while, but I had my first no sixes round in quite sometime.  A few years back, it was a daily occurrence, but first one in a long time.  Hopefully I'm on te way back to play better.  

5 5 5 3 4 5 4 5 5 - 41    4 3 4 3 5 4 5 4 4 - 36 - 77  Started on the back 9 with a 36, played last 4 holes, 4 over.   

Congratulations!

I want to do this so bad but I just have a hard time getting there. 

Retired Old Man

Mallet Style Putter 

• 3 weeks later...

Completed the no 7's challenge today for 18 HI and up. Played Mill Creek 68.6/119/6005 and finished with an 87. 

Went 6 5 3 4 6 3 3 6 6 - 42     6 6 6 3 4 5 6 4 5 - 45

Looking at that with eight 6's on the card will take a lot of work!

• Like 3

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft