IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

On 4/4/2020 at 3:01 PM, David in FL said:

Good luck!  :beer:

Don’t  beat yourself up too much though, it’s much harder than it might sound, ever for pretty good players.  You might want to set no 7’s as an interim goal along the way...  

I was cruising to my second No 7’s when it happened.  4 putted a par 5 from 5 feet for an 8!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Greg 504 said:

Completed the no 7's challenge today for 18 HI and up. Played Mill Creek 68.6/119/6005 and finished with an 87. 

Went 6 5 3 4 6 3 3 6 6 - 42     6 6 6 3 4 5 6 4 5 - 45

Looking at that with eight 6's on the card will take a lot of work!

Congrats!  Now you've proved to yourself that you can.  Also, 87's a darn good score -- nice!

I look forward to hearing that you've finished the no sixes challenge for "no sixes" at some point. :-) You can do it!

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 hours ago, gjunkie57 said:

I was cruising to my second No 7’s when it happened.  4 putted a par 5 from 5 feet for an 8!

Well, crap!  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I just realized that on my last round, I almost completed the no sevens challenge.  I got all the way to the seventeenth hole - a par five - before making my first seven for the round.  Sadly, It was a mistake with a seven-iron in my hand, attempting to lay-up to a wedge into the green.  My buddy gave me the yardage, and I didn't think I could hit it as far as I did, and it wound up in the creek in the woods. From there, I took my two stroke penalty, pitched out into the fairway, stuck my sixth shot close, and then rolled in the putt.  If I had hit nine-iron for my lay-up, I might have made birdie.  That was the only seven on the card, which only had three sixes otherwise.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

49 minutes ago, bwdial said:

I just realized that on my last round, I almost completed the no sevens challenge.  I got all the way to the seventeenth hole - a par five - before making my first seven for the round.  Sadly, It was a mistake with a seven-iron in my hand, attempting to lay-up to a wedge into the green.  My buddy gave me the yardage, and I didn't think I could hit it as far as I did, and it wound up in the creek in the woods. From there, I took my two stroke penalty, pitched out into the fairway, stuck my sixth shot close, and then rolled in the putt.  If I had hit nine-iron for my lay-up, I might have made birdie.  That was the only seven on the card, which only had three sixes otherwise.

That sounds like proof that you can do it.  I hope to see you post a success story very soon!

By the way, was your desired layup a full wedge or a partial wedge?  What were the obstacles ahead of you?  

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

That sounds like proof that you can do it.  I hope to see you post a success story very soon!

By the way, was your desired layup a full wedge or a partial wedge?  What were the obstacles ahead of you?  

A full 50° (GW) was what I was laying-up to.  The hole is a dogleg right, wrapping around a pond, which was short and right, and there was a creek cutting directly across in front of the green.  I was favoring the left side to take the water short and right out of play, and just didn't think that I could hit my seven-iron that far.

Hopefully I get the chance to get out and play before I go back to work.  I'm a teacher, and though we are starting 100% digital - and frankly, probably won't ever go face-to-face - we are being required to go into the building to deliver those lessons.  We start planning next Wednesday, and will be planning for two solid weeks, so I might also be able to sneak out and walk after work.  My ballstriking has improved dramatically recently, so my game from tee-to-green has really been transformed.

• Like 1

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

2 hours ago, bwdial said:

A full 50° (GW) was what I was laying-up to.  The hole is a dogleg right, wrapping around a pond, which was short and right, and there was a creek cutting directly across in front of the green.  I was favoring the left side to take the water short and right out of play, and just didn't think that I could hit my seven-iron that far.

Hopefully I get the chance to get out and play before I go back to work.  I'm a teacher, and though we are starting 100% digital - and frankly, probably won't ever go face-to-face - we are being required to go into the building to deliver those lessons.  We start planning next Wednesday, and will be planning for two solid weeks, so I might also be able to sneak out and walk after work.  My ballstriking has improved dramatically recently, so my game from tee-to-green has really been transformed.

Given the hazards, it makes sense to lay up that way.  One thing that really helped me on long par-4s back in the day when I had a handicap in the low 20s, and helps now with shorter par-5s now, is to be able to know the partial yardages (having a swing for 50 yards, etc).  But it sounds like you have that down.

As a fellow teacher, I know that feeling of diving into lesson planning and losing out on golf for it (it seems many years I lose out on a ton of golf for at least half the school year when I get drawn into something).  I hope you're able to keep up your practice -- improved ballstriking is a great feeling, and it's even better when it starts to show on the course.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

40 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Given the hazards, it makes sense to lay up that way.  One thing that really helped me on long par-4s back in the day when I had a handicap in the low 20s, and helps now with shorter par-5s now, is to be able to know the partial yardages (having a swing for 50 yards, etc).  But it sounds like you have that down.

As a fellow teacher, I know that feeling of diving into lesson planning and losing out on golf for it (it seems many years I lose out on a ton of golf for at least half the school year when I get drawn into something).  I hope you're able to keep up your practice -- improved ballstriking is a great feeling, and it's even better when it starts to show on the course.  

I'm still working on yardages.  Since I have started playing these Ping G30 irons, my distances have changed a bit; they are much longer.  As of now, I am getting much better at getting on, or near, greens in regulation, so my handicap is dropping like a stone, and my confidence is growing.  This is also taking a lot of pressure off my short game, which is always a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot all about this one until someone mentioned it in another thread.  It dawned on me to check on a round from last weekend—my best ever to date. My only 6 was a bogey on the 18th hole. Also missed breaking 80 because of the same bogey. 

So close...

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I had forgotten about this thread also.   I looked back thru all of my rounds tonight.   I've been as low as one 6 three times but have never completed this challenge.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

(edited)

An 81 (+3, +6) with a “6” & a “7.”  I don’t think I’ll ever get this challenge done.

I’m sure the 3 bourbons didn’t help my back 9 score 🤫

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
On 9/29/2020 at 10:04 AM, MattM said:

God!!!  This is SO hard!  I'm 12 handicap and shoot low to mid 80s and even on my lowest round of 76 I had a 6!!! Ugh!!!

Yeah, it is. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is really an accomplishment for a mid handicap golfer and higher, to stay consistent. When you are consistent you are pretty much in control of your game and that is hard to do. This is my only round of the year in which I didn't have a 6 or higher. I have probably played 40 rounds this year and this one stands out as the only one!

2020-10-01_18.19.35.jpg

Edited by Billy Z

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 10:04 AM, MattM said:

God!!!  This is SO hard!  I'm 12 handicap and shoot low to mid 80s and even on my lowest round of 76 I had a 6!!! Ugh!!!

I have been conscious of this challenge since it’s inception and have yet to have a single “no six” round.  One day......one. Day.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

On 10/1/2020 at 6:27 PM, Billy Z said:

This is really an accomplishment for a mid handicap golfer and higher, to stay consistent. When you are consistent you are pretty much in control of your game and that is hard to do. This is my only round of the year in which I didn't have a 6 or higher. I have probably played 40 rounds this year and this one stands out as the only one!

2020-10-01_18.19.35.jpg

@Billy Z

Congrats on the accomplishment!   Make sure to claim your achievement.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 9/30/2020 at 9:22 PM, iacas said:

Yeah, it is. 🙂

Alright Obi Wan.. Given where my swing is at and the journey we've started down together...How close would you say my swing/skills are to being able to actually pull this off?

It's so weird that I look at this accomplishment as being further off for me than say, consistently shooting in the 70s.  Logically I know they are pretty close goals, but I think about the one wayward shot on a par four that gets me in trouble or the one missed putt on a par 5 after scrambling and that no sixes just seems so friggen daunting!!!

I'm getting stressed out just thinking about it lol!!

• Administrator
On 10/1/2020 at 6:27 PM, Billy Z said:

2020-10-01_18.19.35.jpg

Sorry I missed this! I've added your award. Congrats!

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Alright Obi Wan.. Given where my swing is at and the journey we've started down together...How close would you say my swing/skills are to being able to actually pull this off?

Plain truth: I have had 3 handicappers go a full year without getting this. I've also seen 8 handicappers pull it off multiple times per season. I have no idea.

1 hour ago, MattM said:

It's so weird that I look at this accomplishment as being further off for me than say, consistently shooting in the 70s. 

It is.

This is a tough challenge. Much tougher than shooting in the 70s.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets